Informal investigation at work

StewieGriffin

If it went to tribunal then what you said about the company would be in the public domain, can you prove what you said is correct or was it fabricated?

The company obviously has plenty to lose image wise from this growing into anything any bigger on the publicity front. My guess is they will let you resign and say no more about it or they will give you a final written warning and all will be well. If they ask you to resign then request a one day adjournment so you can gather your thoughts and seek advice. 

In my experience in having to deal with suspending staff and disciplinarians they are just follow course. Typically you have to be given 48 hours after official notice of your investigation to then attend.

They will do this quickly to avoid paying you for being off but it makes no difference generally to the outcome in my experience. Social media policy is in most contracts now and probably has been updated officially somewhere if it wasn't in your original contract. There will be degrees of severity and I do t see your as severe just a breach and it will be dealt with properly as somewhere down the line they will use the same procedure to get rid of someone and have to be uniform.

Good luck though, enjoy your time off as it may be out of your hands so you might as well.

Re what tinker said about resigning

My best mate had an issue at work about 8 years ago, he basically used the internal email to message someone at work asking if they were going for a joint at break time, he got caught at after a suspension was told either be sacked and its on your cv you were sacked or resign and we'll give you a good reference. He resigned and hasn't had any trouble finding work since

• Like 1

The only thing you did wrong was getting caught and now you have been caught you've got to hold up your hands, admit the **** up, take the consequences, learn from the experience and move on. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger n all that

From someone that got completely shafted by a previous employer and consequently became a rather militant union rep, you have a lot a very good advice here. Ultimately, you can be dismissed for very little because the process of tribunal and dealing with ACAS/CAB can be expensive and ridiculously timely, but if you value your work and can prove you've done nothing wrong you're entitled to continue working. The problem you have at that point is you are the person that went down tribunal, effectively the trouble maker in their eyes, and your career their will be tarnished whether right or not.

If you've done wrong, you've done wrong, you might escape, you might not, but it's certainly not the end of the world, suck it up and consider the future 12 months from now and where you want to be.

Good luck.

Perfect time to cry rape now. 

What he really needs to do is find an ex lover of the person who carried out the investigation who has been messed around and still has vengeance on the mind, find out if s/he has any identifiable body characteristics around the belt region like a mole on the arse or a tattoo or something. Then go above their head and say he was raped repeatedly, when he tried to stop it his facebook was hacked & a status was put up, which lead to an "informal" witch hunt, all of this while balling crying and clutching his arse hole.

• Like 4

What he really needs to do is find an ex lover of the person who carried out the investigation who has been messed around and still has vengeance on the mind, find out if s/he has any identifiable body characteristics around the belt region like a mole on the arse or a tattoo or something. Then go above their head and say he was raped repeatedly, when he tried to stop it his facebook was hacked & a status was put up, which lead to an "informal" witch hunt, all of this while balling crying and clutching his arse hole.

I like your style Folski

• Like 2

Oh shitballs.  Sorry to hear that (although I wouldn't necessarily jump to the worst possible conclusion).  Hopefully someone more experienced in those matters in here can suggest the next course of action for you.  If they've gone straight from 'informal' to this then it's possible they've skipped some necessary due process?

This. Don't feel too disheartened.  I don't know what you posted on SM but they surely can't sack you for it (unless it was really, really, bad (!) (?)... and apologies if I've missed something as I've not yet read the rest of the thread).  As others have said, get a representative (be that a union or work support group).  In my opinion, the likely action is that you'll get a warning prior to a review of your actions which will be reflected in your end of year appraisal.  

Edited by trekka

I like your style Folski

I'm guessing that actually happened at some point? [emoji57]

Been suspended on full pay "pending further investigation"

I've basically just been sacked, right? :-(

Not at all. We suspend people on a regular basis for this kind of thing so they can't piss about on our computers if they take the investigation the wrong way. Often they just get written or final written warning.

Most employers lose tribunals not on failure to follow the law - but failure to follow their own proceedures. Stewie - when you go to the CAB you might want to take a copy of your employers disciplinary policy with you. If they haven't provided one they should supply one on request.

By far the best piece of advice on here (amongst some very good advice).

Make sure you have/get a copy of the disciplinary procedures and that they have followed them precisely.

Don't allow them to have skipped a step.

Also keep all correspondence. Did you take notes/a recording of the meeting?

Lastly, further to Eames's critique of your letter, change 'as explained to yourself' to 'as explained to you', please. ;)

• Like 2

Regardless of how it goes, polish your CV and get it out there, because even if you get off with a written warning, it's lukewarm performance reviews at best from now on, and you won't be moving up. Defend yourself as best as you can so you can leave on your own terms, but don't plan on having a future there no matter what the outcome is.

• Like 2

Regardless of how it goes, polish your CV and get it out there, because even if you get off with a written warning, it's lukewarm performance reviews at best from now on, and you won't be moving up. Defend yourself as best as you can so you can leave on your own terms, but don't plan on having a future there no matter what the outcome is.

Yes, yes and yes

I like your style Folski

I'm guessing that actually happened at some point? [emoji57]

I just think what would lapal do?

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Missus is ringing her union on my behalf in the morning.

Already updated the CV and had a look at a couple of jobs, one of which Im very interested in - at our biggest competitor, funnily enough.

Was told earlier that Id be contacted to come in for another meeting at some point, so just waiting...

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

it ain't life or death

uncomfortable and embarrassing for a short while maybe, but it'll just be a funny story eventually

I phoned in sick once with food poisoning. I was in charge of the office diary, somebody checked it to see what was on that day and I'd been thick enough to fill in the day before with - Chris on the lash so sick as a dog tomorrow. We live and learn.

I've learnt to have three different twitter accounts and a random gmail. It won't beat MI5, but it's good enough.

Â