Informal investigation at work

StewieGriffin

I'm so glad I deleted all of my social media. Now I just call my boss a word removed to his face instead.

Joking aside and in all seriousness though he really is a word removed.

Mega seriousness though. I really am glad I don't have any social media. It's all gash.

Don't really have any advice so all I can say is good luck stewie!

• Like 3

from previous cases it would seems relevant factors would include whether the employer was identifiable, the impact on the employer's image, the nature of the comments posted, and who was privy to them (if customers or clients, this would surely work against the employee).

Ask for the companies social media policy but there have already been previous cases which have sided with implied term of "trust and confidence" incorporated into every contract of employment, together with a further obligation not to bring your employer into disrepute. Such implied terms override the "where, when and how" such comments are made.

Check the acas website though

Providing this is resolved at the informal stage you're fine, as it is not formal it will not go on your record and it is not time constrained if there was to be another breach.

One outcome could be a move into the formal disciplinary setting but if the offence was sufficiently serious it would have started there. It shouldn't go further in my view. Read your disciplinary procedure which should be available to you in order to understand potential next steps - if you are been dismissed, it'll be a long process (otherwise it'd be construed as unfair).

Edit: just saw the outcome on page 2 - read the informal section of the employer's disciplinary policy, make sure that they adhered to that when moving into the second stage of the process. Procedural errors have lead to some massive unfair dismissal cases, see Lewis vs. HSBC (not the most tasteful of cases).

There is a famous unfair dismissal case on social media - Lerwill vs. Aston Villa FC, have a read of that.

Edited by Dale

My dad got suspended from work a few months back, 3 weeks he was off for.

It was an argument about the villa and his bosses daughter got involved and started shit stirring, he called her an ugly **** slag. She was suspended as well but was allowed back after a few days and didn't leave the premises until the end of the day.

Basically she caused all the trouble and because she is related to the gaffer she got all the worms onside, had statements from people who weren't in the room at the time and in one instance someone who wasn't even at work that day.

Everyone who was actually there corroborated my dad's story but they didn't even ask for their statements, union got involved and tore the company a new one and turned it on them, they said it was the poorest attempt at victimisation and bullying they had ever seen from a company and if they was to sack my dad he could take them to an unfair dismissal hearing and would win hands down.

The company dropped their breakfast in their pants and allowed him back the following day with just a verbal warning

this slow process and lack of a final resolution here isn't helping Stefan though

I suspect poor Stef will be turned away again today, as the 'new desk' still hasn't been cleared

Whether he started the trouble or not, if you call a colleague an "ugly **** slag" in the workplace then you deserve whatever you get.

Especially if you're arguing over something as retarded as football :lol:

• Like 3

Whether he started the trouble or not, if you call a colleague an "ugly **** slag" in the workplace then you deserve whatever you get.

Unless your Tim Sherwood and you're trying to motivate Charles N'Zogbia

• Like 1

Especially if you're arguing over something as retarded as football :lol:

I'm not sure, she might have said something like "villa are really rubbish", in which case she should have been sacked.

Ugly *** slag...how dare she..

• Like 1

Never be on Facebook. 

Fixed 

Fixed again

We have no end of problems at our place with Facebook. People don't seem to get it into their heads that it can cause problems.

Although having said that only one person has been sacked because of it. After making lewd comments about Rachel Riley on a train 

Maybe he was just telling the truth.

Facts are facts (even subjective ones become fact if everyone agrees  :P )

• Like 1

We have no end of problems at our place with Facebook. People don't seem to get it into their heads that it can cause problems.

Although having said that only one person has been sacked because of it. After making lewd comments about Rachel Riley on a train 

How can he be sacked or even reprimanded about commenting about Rachel Riley on a train.

Unless he works in the same company as Rachel, or works for a train company.

How can he be sacked or even reprimanded about commenting about Rachel Riley on a train.

I believe Mr Steps is some sort of shunter.

I believe Mr Steps is some sort of shunter.

Nice euphemism!!

And yes. Working for a train company is correct 

Â