Informal investigation at work

StewieGriffin

Ok, so, to get straight to the point - I had a letter arrive from work today asking me to attend an informal investigation meeting at work next Tuesday because of "comments i recently posted on social media"

What does that entail? Basically, am I going to get the sack for being a dick and posting a silly message on Facebook about how wound up I was by someone's incompetence? (I didnt name the person)

Had a quick google earlier, but everythig seemed to be from the employers POV

Thanking you

Take representation. Even if it is 'informal', I've fallen for that before and it got bad quick.

Check any work policies you've signed. Have you infringed any of them? I don't know what your line of work is, and I'm no expert, but get your ducks in order quickly and go as prepared as you can even if it is 'informal'.

Social media is always a problem waiting to happen if you ask me, Jack Bauer is right though (you don't get to work for the CTU if your an idiot after all) take someone in who knows their shit.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though I doubt they'll sack you unless you have said something really bad

Most likely you'll be getting a nice raise for identifying a weak link within the company. I would start looking at Aston Martin brochures if I were you.

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 2

They should still let you take a colleague in. You need to ensure you are given a chance to explain and you also need to know you'll get a fair hearing and that's impossible without someone confirming it's all above board. All they need to do is sit in a corner and listen so if it goes any further they can confirm what was said.

Yes social media is a nightmare work wise. Wise after the event, but never ever share that kind of stuff on the net. Most people wouldn't bitch about their partners because of repercussions so don't do it about work. But you have to have agreed to any policy to be foud guilty of breaking it, so check everything you've signed.

To be honest, at CTU we don't do disciplinaries, we just shoot them immediately! 

You always have a right to support by the way. This is not just a meeting, it's actually the first step in a disciplinary. It is a small step and hopefully the last one but you are perfectly entitled to support. If with a union call them immediately, don't let the word 'informal' stop you getting support. If you are stopped for chucking rubbish in the street by the police it's a minor offence but you're still allowed representation. 

Apologise and take the warning.

Then in a few months time pour gear box oil over your superior's car.

Dont get mad. Get even.

Despite the very appealingly second line (!) there is a serious point in there. Don't bother fighting it if it makes no difference to your job. They'll have already made their mind up so as long as it's just a warning, just take it, don't kick up a fuss and carry on. Even if you're not guilty. It's not fair but if you make it difficult for them they may well begin a personal mission against you. Sometimes these kind of people just like the power, so apologise and move on - a warning doesn't effect you.

Obviously Im guilty - it was written on Facebook for people to see (which raises a different personal question of finding out who went to tell my store manager behind my back). I have no intention of "fighting it" or kicking up a fuss - my anger is directed at myself for being such a tit. Will happily accept any outcome that isn't me getting the sack.

Edit: there will be a 3rd person in the room, but its not someone i have a choice of, so its basically going to be either the assistant manager, someone from HR or someone from another store

Edited by StewieGriffin

sounds like an adhoc meeting done because im guessing the manager or senior doesn't like what you wrote, you are entitled to have someone of your choosing at any formal or informal meeting, and you don't have to attend if it isn't allowed, also tell Hr you are informing your union (if you are part of one) or you have an appointment for your local employment rights office see what they do then 

Apologise and take the warning.

Then in a few months time pour gear box oil over your superior's car.

Dont get mad. Get even.

Despite the very appealingly second line (!) there is a serious point in there. Don't bother fighting it if it makes no difference to your job. They'll have already made their mind up so as long as it's just a warning, just take it, don't kick up a fuss and carry on. Even if you're not guilty. It's not fair but if you make it difficult for them they may well begin a personal mission against you. Sometimes these kind of people just like the power, so apologise and move on - a warning doesn't effect you.

Totally disagree.

Done be trampled on. You absolutely ARE entitled to take someone in the meeting with you. If you're not a union member join one, get a local representative and makes them squirm.

With a union on your side, they know that your legal costs are covered, they will not try to treat you unfairly, unless they are stupid.

You may be guilty of a minor misdemeanor but don't go in alone. Be reasonable, if you can apologise and seemed there ends on other do so. But don't roll over before you know what is going on.

• Like 2

I understand they dont like what I wrote - hardly the smartest thing to have done, and I didnt exactly use formal language to express my thoughts.

I do feel its just a sit down chat which will result in a severe telling off/warning, but the missus is adamant that because the letter has come through HR im going to get the sack

I understand they dont like what I wrote - hardly the smartest thing to have done, and I didnt exactly use formal language to express my thoughts.

I do feel its just a sit down chat which will result in a severe telling off/warning, but the missus is adamant that because the letter has come through HR im going to get the sack

The 3rd person in the room will be the witness/note taker and should have no say in the discussion. You'll just be asked about what you've posted publicly on social media with the severity of what you said being discussed. If it's something petty, you acknowledge you've been a bit of a tit doing it (because you were frustrated or whatever) and hold your hands up then it'll probably end there with a reminder of your social media obligations regarding your employer. I do think the language they've used in the letter is a bit poor mind - it should be an "informal discussion" at this stage and not an investigation.

But if they feel that what you've said brings the company's reputation into disrepute or that you've caused a serious breach of trust in your employer/employee relationship (potentially gross misconduct) then they might see cause to take it to a formal investigation/disciplinary procedure and suspend you pending formal investigation. If it goes that far, you most certainly will be offered the chance of representation in your investigation invitation. Before that though, it really is just an internal company discussion and representation really isn't a given. Based on my own involvement in mediating these kind of things, if you generally have a good working relationship with your employer and acknowledge what you did was a bit silly and show understanding of the situation, it most certainly will end there. If you go in aggressive and prepared for some kind of perceived battle then you'll probably be in for a bumpy ride. 

I wouldn't worry about it until you hear what they have to say. Also, make sure they don't see this thread either.

• Like 1

He could walk in and say his facebook profile expresses his own views he neither mentioned the company (assuming) or employee who he was venting about and if anyone took offence to the said update they can feel free to unfriend themselves....and do it al pacino scent of a woman court room style

Â