Players that you think are rubbish

Zatman

39 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I think Wayne Rooney has been terribly overrated for the last 10 years. I also think Jack Wilshere is bang average at best. One or two good games a season doesn't warrant the media frenzy that lad creates.

Not sure if serious.

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not sure if serious.

Do you mean that you don't think Rooney is overrated? Or that you don't think Wilshere is? For me, they both are.

EDIT: Wilshere has 13 goals and 27 assists in 174 games. That's 174 games playing for one of the best 4 teams in the country. Not great stats at all. Couple that with the fact he is paid a fortune to be mostly injured. Not a fan.

Edited by One For The Road

Well Rooney is his country's all time leading goalscorer and about to be Manchester United. He is the 2nd all time goalscorer in the PL and at 30 has more PL goals than anybody at this stage in history.  If he plays as long as Shearer he has every chance of beatinf 260.

Wilshere is a wonderful footballer, capable of dictating a game, beating a player and wonderful passing. I thought he was England's best player in qualifying and was adding to his game everytime he pulled on a shirt. Ultimatelt though, his ankle is completely **** and he will never be the player he should have been.

He was one of the most naturally gifted footballers this country has produced in a long time.

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Well Rooney is his country's all time leading goalscorer and about to be Manchester United. He is the 2nd all time goalscorer in the PL and at 30 has more PL goals than anybody at this stage in history.  If he plays as long as Shearer he has every chance of beatinf 260.

Wilshere is a wonderful footballer, capable of dictating a game, beating a player and wonderful passing. I thought he was England's best player in qualifying and was adding to his game everytime he pulled on a shirt. Ultimatelt though, his ankle is completely **** and he will never be the player he should have been.

He was one of the most naturally gifted footballers this country has produced in a long time.

Rooneys England record is not all it seems though is it? How many of those goals were against San Marino and Lithuania etc. I can't ever remember Rooney playing well for England against a top international side. He looked awesome back in 2004 but that was a long time ago.

And if you are going to talk about stats with Rooney then why not with Wilshere?  13 goals in 174 games. Only 27 assists too. Like I said, I jusy don't get the Wilshere frenzy.  Never have done.

wayne rooney and jack wilshere are both similar players in my head, they are both great english, premier league prospects that we as typical englsih fans and then our media build them up to be something they simply arent, rooney in my head has never been world class, got some cracking stats and he'll break every england record going (my own personal belief that rooneys stubbornness over what his position is is detrimental to both himself and england has been discussed to death) but best player in england or best premier league player isnt world class

wilshere i always like to bring out the pep quote, good enough for barca? "we've got 10 of him in our youth team" he just benefited from being a comfortable on the ball 5 yard passing midfielder, the fact that he was pretty much the only one we had when all the other big boys had 5+ of them got lost on our media,everyone was watching jack wilshere and conviently pretending the likes of marco verratti, toni kroos, koke, thiago, gundogan etc didnt exist

rooney is a good player that has been overrated, wilshere isnt even very good

Edited by villa4europe

I love(d) watching Wilshere play.  When Arsenal last went to the Nou Camp I thought he was brilliant, he wasn't afraid to pick the ball up on the edge of his area and turn to beat the pressing of Iniesta and Xavi and launch their counter attacks.  Sadly injuries ruined him so far.  I genuinely think Rooney is top class when played up top too.

20 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I genuinely think Rooney is top class when played up top too.

i dont, not because he cant play up top but because when things arent going his way he drifts to go find the ball, the last world cup when we were utter garbage, he wants to play up top and he wants to go collect the ball off the centre backs at the same time, it simply doesnt work, his positional discipline has ruined him when we needed him most IMO

2010 rooney upfront, gerrard playing off him...**** me

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

wayne rooney and jack wilshere are both similar players in my head, they are both great english, premier league prospects that we as typical englsih fans and then our media build them up to be something they simply arent, rooney in my head has never been world class, got some cracking stats and he'll break every england record going (my own personal belief that rooneys stubbornness over what his position is is detrimental to both himself and england has been discussed to death) but best player in england or best premier league player isnt world class

wilshere i always like to bring out the pep quote, good enough for barca? "we've got 10 of him in our youth team" he just benefited from being a comfortable on the ball 5 yard passing midfielder, the fact that he was pretty much the only one we had when all the other big boys had 5+ of them got lost on our media,everyone was watching jack wilshere and conviently pretending the likes of marco verratti, toni kroos, koke, thiago, gundogan etc didnt exist

rooney is a good player that has been overrated, wilshere isnt even very good

I remember that Pep quote too. He was talking out of his arse then too. Where are they then?

thiago moved to bayern for about £30m, rafinha flirts with the barca 1st team, romeu signed for chelsea and ruined his career, sergi roberto plays for barca...

him saying 10 was obviously hyperbole but the point he was making remains, wilshere was never good enough for barca but his playing style was suitable which is why our media pushed it, people got excited because tiki taka was flavour of the month and wilshere looked like he could play it (the on the ball stuff anyone, the off the ball side of tiki taka im not sure) what pep meant was that they produce players to that style all the time

we have wilshere, spain has javi martinez, fabregas, mata, isco, saul, oliver, koke, biscuits, thiago, ander, sergi roberto, germany has a similar number, italy have a couple

wilshere was all hype, watch him play arsenals last 3 games of the season and make the england euros squad

Wayne Rooney is a brilliant footballer but set up in a shit system. Jack Wilshire is like a bizarre fascination for Wenger, decent player but nothing amazing and definite not Arsenal quality, bizarrely but not surprising I think he has a decent record vs Villa :o

really think theres a trend of people just hating on english people just because theyre english and to go against "media always over rate" when media mostly talk about potential more than current ability when theyre talking about players

The only time rooney has been over rated is his appearences for england when hes clearly not playing well. Hes obviously an amazing footballer. The fact he signed for 27mil at age of 16 for man united and was/is consistently picked for all these years under the best manager to exist when they have all the money in the world to spend for such a crucial position should be an instant redflag for your opinion on whether hes "over rated". Whether hes world class or not all comes down to your definition of "world class" which appears to be different for everyone. Hes either world class or on the very edge of nearly being world class depending on your definition. And obviously hes declining recently

Jack wheelchair is also very good. Hes got all the attributes to be a top DLP. good passing range and his ability to escape pressure/high press is up there as one of the best in the league. He either just glides past players or gets fouled. Playing alongside someone like coq would be a huge plus for him and not his previous midfield partners. What people need to realise it often takes a lot of games to come back 100% for players. Different injuries ofc, but ramsay was shit, delph was awful, benteke always took time. Majority of players do, so given JW is injured a lot, he really isnt going to be playing 100% his ability. Would also take peps comments with pinch of salt given one sentence gives a huge boost of confidence to all the players in his academy. Just how i take xavi comments about him not 100% given its just professionalism.  ...But yeh hes injured a lot and probably wont "make it" just because of that, which is a shame. He just turned 24 aswell...

Edited by gharperr

Wilshere was brilliant in 10/11.

He hasn't reached those heights since but then again he must've missed at least two years though injury, a ridiculous amount which obviously affects your rhythm and confidence.

I'd really interested what Hodgson does in the summer. I've said since the end of the Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard era that England midfield has had a look of a lost generation about it....Henderson, Milner, Wilshere, Carrick, D*lph, all good players in this league but it's never going to scare the major nations whatever combination.

This season one of the best performing teams in the league have two English players starting week in week out, Eric Dier and Dele Ali. They have a great understanding going.

I'm also a massive fan of Ross Barkley. Just watch his movement, some of his runs and positions he picks up are brilliant. The end product and his shooting are a bit lacking though.

Not sure you can play all 3 but this summer I'm expecting 2/3 of Barkley, Ali and Dier. If Hodgson just picks Henderson and Milner I think I'm going to be joining Mantis's Anti-Woy brigade summer gatherings.

Â