Fallout 4

Frobisher

Depends what put you off Skyrim I think. Fallout 4 is Skyrim with polish, more firearm based combat (generally) with a subsystem that let's you pick areas to aim for on more of a dice roll, and bins the general fantasy setting for a sci fi post nuclear one. But the fundamental game (complete quests, loot stuff, improve your character, explore, find companions etc etc) is basically the same.

• Like 1

I'd say if you didn't get into Skyrim (unless your dislike was all down to the fantasy-based setting) then there's a very good chance you won't get into Fallout either.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Think I've come round to it a little more, before work Saturday I kept thinking I'll come off get a nap. Before I knew it was 5pm & the afternoon had vanished.

I still haven't built anything yet, nor upgraded a single weapon & im about 15 hours in, only just got to diamond city (anyone else used the glitch to get money off the vendors) & I'm starting to buy into the game more. But the building a town element/junk collecting still is a turn off for me but I'll try it out.

How have you guy built your characters? I've gone with a bit of brute & im using pistols/melee weapons, who needs fancy weapons when you can knock a nail through a plank of wood 

Well, seems I managed to complete the main story in about 13 hours, of which I've spent a bit of time dicking about doing side missions. The ending to the story was 

Spoiler

extremely underwhelming.

Looking forward to finishing off all the little side quests. I had a look on my map and there's still so much to explore. 

Edited by PieFacE

6 hours ago, V01 said:

13 hours? 

I've done like 54 and I'm barely past fort hagen. 

Wow haha,  are you doing all the side missions?  I'm going to do all of them now!  I didn't want to get distracted from the main story so left mist of them.  

Well, seems I managed to complete the main story in about 13 hours, of which I've spent a bit of time dicking about doing side missions. The ending to the story was 

Spoiler extremely underwhelming.

Looking forward to finishing off all the little side quests. I had a look on my map and there's still so much to explore. 

Ah man, you're doing it all wrong. Fallout is all about the constant distractions and detours that befall you.

• Like 3

all the side missions, all of them.

I even punched a swan in the throat...

Made a massive error last night, took Cait as a companion and sent Paladin Danse away. Did not end well, Didn't realise how much I use him as a portable meatshield/turret.

As someone who really didn't get on with Fallout 3, I'm glad to find Fallout 4 immensely enjoyable. I absolutely love that I can play this game as a fully fledged FPS and not rely on VATS. So after a couple of tweaks to fix the weird default mouselook sensitivity, the game for me has took on the feel of something akin to STALKER with more involved RPG elements.

Also, its nice to see some colour in the world. Fallout 3's brown, brown and more brown visuals and shite shooting mechanics killed that game off for me after about 15 hours. Fallout 4 is a game I can see myself spending 100+ hours in.

Ive had the game since it came out but hadnt played.Finally had a go today and I think Im going to love it. I played a bit of Fallout New Vegas and really didnt like it. Partially because I played it a few years after it came out and the graphics seemed bad but also it was a bit bland. 

This however looks great and is easy to use. Having some trouble with settlement building and getting walls to connect to floors but its a great distraction in an already fantastic world. 

I have one complaint.

I "found" Gauss Rifle, does 115 damage. Great. What ammo does it take? 2mm EC, wait I haven't even seen any of those yet. 

57 hours play and counting, I have 49 of them, over 10k caps I'd be willing to spunk on them if any of the vendors sold more than 10. :(

I do love this game, but I have to admit, one of the things that I really loved about Fallout 3 was the struggle I had at the start. Guns and ammo was so hard to come by and I really had to scratch around for scrap to sell to get caps to buy more bullets. Eventually things got easier as I got stronger, but it was a steep learning curve and I think that difficulty of finding things to survive really helped me get immersed in the world.

Only a couple of hours into Fallout 4 and I've already got a suit of power armour. I mean, it was really cool taking down all those enemies and a Deathclaw so early on, but I just don't feel the struggle that I did when starting Fallout 3. That and the whole base building thing is tedious and doesn't work as well as it should. I can't believe no-one logged in any bugs concerning floors and walls not connecting properly.

Either way, I'm not anywhere close to finishing the game, but so far I'd say that I am loving it, and it looks great, but I can't help but be a little disappointed with it at the same time.

The amount of content in this game is phenomenal. I've stated plenty of times in various threads that i'm not a fan of single player games but i'm pretty hooked on this,. Time just flys by when i'm playing it. The only other single player game I liked was TLOU but this is so much better imo. Previously I said I completed the game but now I don't think I have. 22 hours in and loving it. Brotherhood for life! Wish I had have had George Clooney as my companion earlier on, that dude owns! 

Had a shit one earlier. Only a few hours in, going to kill some raiders for some woman thinking about rejoining the minutemen.

Anyways, i go to this hide out with loads of raiders, get chased by about 6 of them and head inside towards the target. Get inside, theres loads more, so i run like a headless chicken back outside with 6 or so chasing me.

So the load screen goes away and I'm COMPLETELY surrounded by raiders (6 in front, 6 behind), on a narrow bridge.

The screen turns white because 5 of them throw molotovs at me, the frame rate drops to about 10 frames a **** hour, EVERYONE dies because apparantly the embodiment of Hephestus came to earth and obviously i die.

No problemo, I'll be alright when i load in next time.....OHMYFUCKINGGODITSHAPPENEDAGAIN.

**** autosave.

Lost an hour or so of progress.

• Like 2

Â