Fallout 4

Frobisher

mines up to 25%, plugged it in and it seems to be moving at least

i dont see why they've done it like this, the witcher's bigger and didnt need it so this open world from the start stuff is nonsense

probably got another couple of hours until i can play it, my ps4 has been on since 8pm last night

Picked it up yesterday evening after it was delivered next door, unboxed, spent ages getting the pip-boy sorted (mostly trying to get the foam inserts right) THEN decided to install the game.  Don't ask why I didn't do it in the other order :(  Might be able to get on tonight to have a blast...

Okay after my second session I'm really into this now. Pure Fallout.

I think the bit in bold is the key for me.

I had an hour or two on it last night and did the usual thing I do with games like this and Skyrim. Namely putting a mark on the map a gazillion miles away and just walking off towards it looking at the world and getting into trouble.

It created a couple of moments (I won't go into specifics, because it's spoilery) which just had me grinning like a loon and thinking to myself 'yeah, this is Fallout'.

Got a night in on my own tonight and I genuinely can't wait for a good session on it.

• Like 2

I've probably played just about enough to give a fair assessment, although I know there's so much more to come. I had a bit of a pain tweaking graphics, I'm only playing on a GTX 750 TI, but I finally have it running really, really well. My first impression, like everyone else was that it's Fallout. The same engine, same colours, same sounds, same gameplay, same familiar items/monsters, It just felt like a fallout 3 sequel rather than a continuation of the whole series and I was fine with that but It probably wasn't until the game opened up around diamond city that it's really started to become its own game. 

It's just brilliant. The stories have been interesting so far, the attention to detail is absolutely phenomenal. The small things, like walking past a guy in town, breaking into his house, hacking his terminal and reading diary entries about his life; just one guy in a huge world. It's impressive. The companion system seems a little more immersive than the Skyrim one, in the fact that they are actually useful and join you for a cause. The addition of synths is a really interesting subject for me. I've already encountered two story chains that really touch on the subject of synthetic humans and I'm sure the game will delve deeper into the psychology of this and force you to make some difficult decisions. 

The game is a mess at times. It's still a little buggy, dodgy npc pathing and the game looks about five years old but these things have almost become Bethesda's open world identity and the minor problems just don't matter because of the character of the games they create. Just really looking forward to getting back to exploring, some of the best moments so far have been when aimlessly wondering around and finding a random event. 

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

I like crafting in games but I don't want to spend 80% of my play time picking up junk.

That's the nature of the Fallout games really and the reason why it doesn't sit well with a lot of people. There's a heavy emphasis on scavenging; salvaging what you can from a destroyed world, there's a strange addiction to it. I have no idea why I feel happy if I find some aluminium or a circuit board or something, it's a weird psychological thing, I often wonder myself why on earth I'm wasting time doing this. The addition of more interesting and useful loot has helped, also the addition of legendary weapons and individual armour parts makes exploring random buildings a little more rewarding.

oh I totally get that aspect & why some would enjoy it, I enjoy opening worlds where you pick up/find materials but for me....continually having to gather them is a massive turn off. I think the witcher got it right when it came to crafting.

I did the first mission with the minutemen then went off to Diamond City, but I cannot get to the police station. I die no matter what route I take. It's very frustrating, so I just started exploring the world and building my base. I need better guns and armor. Any suggestions to help me? I'm only level 6 despite playing around 10-12 hours. 

I did the first mission with the minutemen then went off to Diamond City, but I cannot get to the police station. I die no matter what route I take. It's very frustrating, so I just started exploring the world and building my base. I need better guns and armor. Any suggestions to help me? I'm only level 6 despite playing around 10-12 hours. 

I guess it depends on how you've built your character, I went in early with damage bonuses to automatic and non automatic weapons and extra bomb damage. I also made my weapons much stronger on the workbench. I don't think I headed to Diamond City till I was about level 12, stocked up well on ammo from corpses from random missions around the starting area and just took it from there.

I got a really OP legendary laser weapon from doing the first Brotherhood of Steel quest, which made fighting stuff like Super Mutants around the city pretty easy.

Hidden Content

I have upgrade my punches and my accuracy so far. So you think it's best just to roam, level up, and get some better gear before I continue? 

I guess so, yeah. If you've gone melee though, I can understand why you're having a tough time. That shit is difficult, ha. 

It is but It's so much fun. I have these knuckles with blades on them that do about 26 dmg a hit. Not much, but it is getting me by. Most of my weapons only do about 20-30 dmg which is tough. I'm struggling to kill multiple enemies at once, so I typically die. 

Â