The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

And this one was never going to last. Surprised it wasn't the first to go.

I've heard that Starmer has made an unprecedented move and has asked the Tories if they can publish a joint manifesto, to save people having to trawl through two identical ones.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rodders said:

U turn complete. ( on the green investment thing )

Calm down, there's several months until the election and every turn he u turns again :) 

Understand this.

The country's coffers have been ransacked and pocketed by the corrupt Tory filth and their chums.

Yet Starmer can expect to be held to account by the media in a way that the Brexit PM wasn't. Starmer has to reel in the pledges before the election, or risks being shredded after.

images.jpg.c2af41638b394a91bc07ac4a02184756.jpg

Because everything is more expensive, that's borrowing as well. That's against a backdrop of not being very competitive in our local European market, we're burdened with extra Brexit tariffs and paperwork. Plus the Chinese have been playing the long game, securing raw materials and supply routes. They're impaling us on capitalism, our industries just aren't going to be viable. That makes us more reliant on other countries, making us vulnerable, and allowing us to be gouged more than we're getting gouged now by the fossil fuel gang.

Unless we take back control from the markets, the kids are f***ed, the grandkids are really f***ed. That's not even factoring in AI, climate chaos or major wars.

Some of us have been on VT 20 years, gone quick ain't it? In 30 years, unless something much more drastic than Corbyn happens? It gets really quite ugly for the majority in the UK.

I'm quite lucky, and won't be voting Labour because Rosena Allin-Khan is popular here. Many of you lot are going to have to bite the bullet and vote red, and just hope that Starmer and his successors change the course we're on?

• Like 2

I'll be spoiling my ballot again.

Not that it matters, it's been a Labour seat since inception bar a single Tory abhorration. 

But I won't vote for this party. They didn't have my vote last time, they certainly don't this time. A mauve Tory is still a Tory.

• Like 3

I will vote for the best placed party to unseat the uncumbent Tory.  

Second place has swung between Labour & Lib Dem in my constituency for a long time so I'll have to make my decision closer to the time.

Edited by Wainy316

I think Starmer has misjudged this.

I understand why he's done it.  He is trying to lockdown any Tory attacks about them not not managing finances correctly and wanting to still be seen as a party with fiscal responsibility.  However I think that the environment and global warming is actually much higher up peoples priorities than he thinks.  He may end up losing more votes than he keeps out of Tories hands with the floaters.

Possibly he feels that losing those votes won't lose him any actual probable seats but the fiscal arguments might lose some marginal ones to the Tories.

At this time I would think his sole priority is to get an overall majority in the house so he doesn't have to seek any coalitions.

It would be fascinating to sit in on their strategy meetings to see how they decide what messages they put out.

As I've said before., I'll judge him when he's in power.  Right now he's just saying whatever it takes to get overall control.  Then we'll see what he actually does with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think Starmer has misjudged this.

I understand why he's done it.  He is trying to lockdown any Tory attacks about them not not managing finances correctly and wanting to still be seen as a party with fiscal responsibility.  However I think that the environment and global warming is actually much higher up peoples priorities than he thinks.  He may end up losing more votes than he keeps out of Tories hands with the floaters.

Possibly he feels that losing those votes won't lose him any actual probable seats but the fiscal arguments might lose some marginal ones to the Tories.

At this time I would think his sole priority is to get an overall majority in the house so he doesn't have to seek any coalitions.

It would be fascinating to sit in on their strategy meetings to see how they decide what messages they put out.

As I've said before., I'll judge him when he's in power.  Right now he's just saying whatever it takes to get overall control.  Then we'll see what he actually does with it.

This isn't about votes, this is about limiting what he can be criticised for in terms of unfulfilled manifesto pledges after the election. It's almost unfathomable that Labour won't be the next government at this stage.

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

This isn't about votes, this is about limiting what he can be criticised for in terms of unfulfilled manifesto pledges after the election. It's almost unfathomable that Labour won't be the next government at this stage.

Yes, I agree. But he will want to avoid a coalition so every message being put out now is not to probable labour voters.  It's to floating possible Tory voters or voters who worry about their fiscal credentials to hoover up as many as possible.

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

But he will want to avoid a coalition

The chances of that at this stage are almost as remote as a Tory win. This is no longer about votes to win, the game has gone beyond that, there is no wooing to do.

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

This isn't about votes, this is about limiting what he can be criticised for in terms of unfulfilled manifesto pledges after the election. 

Bingo. I was listening to someone the other day (may have been Patrick Maguire?), who was saying that given one of the biggest political attitudes at the moment is "they're all the same, they never deliver what they promise", Labour strategists are most scared of proving that correct, overpromising and underdelivering and thus vindicating that view. So the plan is to hopefully campaign for re-election on "we delivered what we promised" rather than "here's the excuses for why we haven't delivered what we promised". But it does mean that you don't really offer very much to make sure you can do it.

Quite possibly attributing a more noble cause to what they're doing than they deserve, but there you go.

One thing's for sure, the two main party manifestos are going to be more interesting than they've been in ages. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Bingo. I was listening to someone the other day (may have been Patrick Maguire?), who was saying that given one of the biggest political attitudes at the moment is "they're all the same, they never deliver what they promise", Labour strategists are most scared of proving that correct, overpromising and underdelivering and thus vindicating that view. So the plan is to hopefully campaign for re-election on "we delivered what we promised" rather than "here's the excuses for why we haven't delivered what we promised". But it does mean that you don't really offer very much to make sure you can do it.

Quite possibly attributing a more noble cause to what they're doing than they deserve, but there you go.

One thing's for sure, the two main party manifestos are going to be more interesting than they've been in ages. 

Yes, precisely what I was getting at but explained in a much better way

Â