The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Agreed but I'm faced with a party I hate and will never vote for (Tories), a party I distrust but do not cross my red lines (LibDems - EU/PR) and a party I've voted for most of the time but do cross my two policy red lines (Labour) It’s a tough choice.

Also I'm particularly wary of the size of majority Labour will get which I think is also very dangerous.

Its really a three turd choice

At least it's a 3 turd choice and not a 2 turd choice. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wouldn't the Greens be a better option than the LibDems?

They don't cross your red lines and they're not the LibDems.

No, they’re the Greens. Some of their policy document, in fact most of it, reminded me of the set of insane policies you’d see enacted in student unions in the 80s. Well meaning but batshit crazy

Just a couple of examples… (and I’ve read nowhere near all of it.)

Mothers will be allowed time off EVERY hour fully paid to attend to their children. Now ignoring the blatant sexism (as there are plenty of kids with a male as the primary care giver) I just wonder how that will work for say a female train driver or bus driver (and plenty of other jobs)

Workers should have a written contract within three months of starting work for a company and that contract will state how much time the company has to give before they can change the contract. What??? That’s miles WORSE than current employment law

They just don’t seem anchored in reality

I also now live in one of the safest Labour seats in the country in an area where the Labour Party are mired in corruption

• Like 1

On 16/02/2024 at 10:28, bickster said:

Pretty sure I'm considered a Starmerite, as it currently stands I'm voting LibDem :D 

Same. 

I've voted Labour once in my life, back in 2001 and I can't imagine that will be changing for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

Yeah, I’d be pretty sure my vote will be a ‘wasted’ vote here its very much a two horse race.

Both the Green candidate and Plaid candidate here are pretty sound people so it’ll be one of them. They’ll most likely have a total in the hundreds.

Will probably vote Green here. Parachuted in labour candidate and Greens representing me pretty well on the council so will put my vote on them. 

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Will probably vote Green here. Parachuted in labour candidate and Greens representing me pretty well on the council so will put my vote on them. 

I should also caveat though my "last voted Labour in 2001" though with "...but would have voted to make Brown, Miliband, Corbyn and would vote to make Starmer PM, if I lived in a place where Labour were the obvious challenger to the Tory".

• Like 1

Side note: I just assumed I would be in Liverpool Riverside at the next election but the boundary changes have changed that, I’m now going to be in Liverpool Wavertree, so my MP will change from one nutty Union stooge (Kim Johnson) to another, Paula Barker. I'd advise people to check which constituency they will actually be in if they intend to vote tactically, you may have your tactics completely wrong.

In my case I live in pin a red rosette on a donkey territory so all that changes is the donkey but it may make a big difference for others. It also makes me wonder if the big MRP polling companies have switched the boundaries in their polling yet.

In the constituency I live in, it has been either Conservative or Labour for the past 100 years (the Independent Parliamentary Group won in 1922).

Labour last won in 2001 (Rees-Mogg was the losing Tory, humorously). They have been second ever since.

I therefore assume that they will be the best bet for me in order to bid a not so fond adieu to my local Tory. But I also am fairly sure they (the tories) will win this particular seat.

2 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I therefore assume that they will be the best bet for me in order to bid a not so fond adieu to my local Tory. But I also am fairly sure they (the tories) will win this particular seat.

If you're The Wrekin then it's currently 60-40 to turn Labour according to the Electoral Calculus site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

If you're The Wrekin then it's currently 60-40 to turn Labour according to the Electoral Calculus site.

and in addition to that, It has a chunk of Telford being chucked into it. If it was previously The Wrekin, it'll still be The Wrekin as the constituency remains, just with added bits and no lost areas

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I am, yes.

In fairness I’m not quite sure how I would expect to gauge how folk will vote here. But I’m not sensing any notable desire for change here.

I can go around various parts of the local area, and I’m left thinking “Hmm yeah, you’re still voting Tory aren’t you…” I suppose I might think that because generally it’s quite nice around here and so people would see that and not consider the broader picture.

But again, maybe it’s not a sentiment I would necessarily notice, on the ground as it were.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I am, yes.

In fairness I’m not quite sure how I would expect to gauge how folk will vote here. But I’m not sensing any notable desire for change here.

I can go around various parts of the local area, and I’m left thinking “Hmm yeah, you’re still voting Tory aren’t you…” I suppose I might think that because generally it’s quite nice around here and so people would see that and not consider the broader picture.

But again, maybe it’s not a sentiment I would necessarily notice, on the ground as it were.

its a classic Tories losing 6-8% of their vote to Reform territory. UKIP always had quite a reasonable showing but never enough to trouble the Tories, this time it may well do, especially in the new expanded seat

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

its a classic Tories losing 6-8% of their vote to Reform territory. UKIP always had quite a reasonable showing but never enough to trouble the Tories, this time it may well do, especially in the new expanded seat

True, Kip did alright in 2015 here. That will take some of the tories votes.

I just have this feeling that those who are a bit more left leaning and deferring from the tories will split between Labour and Lib Dem. And therefore keep the tories here.

Hopefully I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Side note: I just assumed I would be in Liverpool Riverside at the next election but the boundary changes have changed that, I’m now going to be in Liverpool Wavertree, so my MP will change from one nutty Union stooge (Kim Johnson) to another, Paula Barker. I'd advise people to check which constituency they will actually be in if they intend to vote tactically, you may have your tactics completely wrong.

In my case I live in pin a red rosette on a donkey territory so all that changes is the donkey but it may make a big difference for others. It also makes me wonder if the big MRP polling companies have switched the boundaries in their polling yet.

Always worth checking what constituency you are in.

Apparently the Reform guy spent some of his last day of the Wellingborough by election campaigning in Irthlingborough, part of the Corby constituency.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I tried this on my area and it came up with a disappointingly safe 72% chance that the Tories will still win - I live amongst nutters.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I tried this on my area and it came up with a disappointingly safe 72% chance that the Tories will still win - I live amongst nutters.

Have you checked if the seat boundaries have changed?

Â