The FA Cup Final Pre-Match Thread

Kingman

Agree, unsurprisingly little is being made out of the atmosphere yesterday, Liverpool fans were shockingly flat whereas we were brilliant, thought it definitely resonated through to the players, based on what I saw / heard on Saturday there's every danger the final could be the same

• Like 1

Arsenal have played Wigan, Reading and Hull in the last year at Wembley and needed extra time to win on each occasion so unless we totally freeze or our defence has a total shocker on the day this won't be 4-0 or 5-0 like the Emirates.

We usually give Arsenal good games over the last few years, our pace usually troubles them particularly at the Emirates but yeah their options of Welbeck, Ozil, Alexis, Giroud, Walcott, Ox, Cazorla, Ramsey with pace and power is going to severly test us.

Worth checking if they get any injuries over the next few weeks. It's Arsenal so they usually have half a team out injured. In an ideal world someone like Coquelin would be out as he's made such a difference to their midfield with his defensive nous, Wilshere can't do that and Arteta's legs have gone.

Koscienly picking up an injury would also be good news as he's developed into one of the best CBs in the league now imo. Mertasacker and Gabriel as a combo looks very cumbersome and I'd fancy Gabby and Benteke big time against those two or indeed if they have to stick a Chambers or Monreal there as they did at Stoke when they were abysmal first half and 3 down.

I'd probably sum it up as Arsenal put their first 11 out or near enough, they'll win reasonably comfortably. A few key injuries and we have a great shot. Lots of football to be played between now and then.

Do we know the kick off time yet? 3pm would suit nicely... 5pm would be a real ball ache!

3pm is very likely as the Premier league ends the week before on Sun 24th. 

However this the FA we are talking about so common sense goes out the window.

Don't rule out a Sunday 6pm or Monday 8pm  ;)

Edited by Kingman

Do we know the kick off time yet? 3pm would suit nicely... 5pm would be a real ball ache!

3pm is very likely as the Premier league ends the week before on Sun 24th. 

However this the FA we are talking about so common sense goes out the window.

Don't rule out a Sunday 6pm or Monday 8pm  ;)

The following is from 2013, but suggests that a 5pm/5.15pm kick off time is going to be around for some considerable time

FA Chairman Greg Dyke has explained the reasons behind the Cup Final's kick-off time

FA Chairman Greg Dyke has confirmed The FA Cup Final will continue to kick-off in the early evening slot, and has explained the reasoning behind the decision.

Speaking at Wednesday’s FA Cup broadcast partners announcement, the Chairman said it was important the Final continued to grow its global reach, and that the later kick-off time is essential to this.

He said: "The Final will continue to be held in late afternoon, which is where it's been moved to.

"I'm certainly happy with that because if you look at the viewing figures for the past two FA Cup Finals they were much bigger than they would have been had the match kicked off at 3pm.

"The world changed and we had to change with it."

The new Chairman was speaking publicly for the first time since replacing David Bernstein on 13 July.

He said the new deals will benefit all involved, as well as help bring The FA Cup to a wider domestic and international audience.

"Financially it's quite a jump in money from this year to the next, but also the fact that it's going on the BBC means there will be a lot of coverage across many outlets that help promote the FA Cup," he said.

The statistics support the Chairman's comments.

The previous two finals that have kicked-off in the early evening slot have peaked at 9.3m and 11.56m viewers, while the last two to start at 3pm peaked at 8.58m and 7.24m.

Dyke added: "We've also got a pay deal with BT, which we're pleased about. Remember, all the money from the FA Cup goes back into football, it doesn't go to players' wages.

"There was some fairly intense competition for the rights, but they've ended up where we expected them to.

"I believe the FA Cup is still the greatest club cup competition in the world and you saw all the romance of it last year when Wigan won after beating the multi-million pound Manchester City team.

"The FA Cup operates in a different context to the Premier League. Last year I was chairman at Brentford, who went to play at Chelsea.

"That was so exciting and you can't explain what it meant to the fans. The FA Cup belongs to the fans."

It was also revealed that ITV had negotiated exclusive rights to broadcast all England’s international friendly games from 2014-18.

The broadcaster had already secured a deal with UEFA for all European Championship and World Cup qualifiers.

Source

Edited by hogso

Agree, unsurprisingly little is being made out of the atmosphere yesterday, Liverpool fans were shockingly flat whereas we were brilliant, thought it definitely resonated through to the players, based on what I saw / heard on Saturday there's every danger the final could be the same

I've said this a couple of times on here, but my mates and I took note on saturday as we were down that end and it was the 25th minute before Liverpool's first chant (during the actual game). It was so quiet.

Their fans seemed brilliant to be fair to them after the game. Spoke to a few around me, had loads around me on the train back and they were all great and pretty gracious in defeat. But during the game I thought they were really poor.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Had we not got to the final, would the F***ball Association be taking us to task about the "Crowd disturbances"?

Feeling sorry for Reading.

Anyway, more of the winding us up please. It'll only make a victory even sweeter.

VILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jonathan Moss will be the ref. We had him for the 0-0 with West Ham and the 2-1 win against West Brom.

The only ref to give us a penalty this season this season

Any relation to Jonathan Woss?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

Had we not got to the final, would the F***ball Association be taking us to task about the "Crowd disturbances"?

Feeling sorry for Reading.

Anyway, more of the winding us up please. It'll only make a victory even sweeter.

VILLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I could accept the fine, if the baggies had been punished aswell! But to charge us and ignore the violence from their fans is shocking!

I mentioned it before, but the programme on Sunday really annoyted me. Three seperate pieces about the 'crowd trouble', and only one line mentioned baggies fans. They even printed that McManaman was hit by a fan when video evidence has proved that he was the one to kick out at our fans with no retaliation.

• Like 1

Heard that Villa and Arsenal fans are going to be singing "Happy Birthday" to Steven Gerrard on 35th minute as it's been planned..

Anyone else seen this anywhere?

Bollocks to that. **** Steven Gerrard. He missed his chance to be a part of May 30th. The FA Cup Final is about Aston Villa and Arsenal.

I agree but im sure the FA knows the whole of world loves him so both teams will give him a guard of honour and organise a minutes applause after 8 minutes for him.

maybe even give him a winners medal as well

Jonathan Moss will be the ref. We had him for the 0-0 with West Ham and the 2-1 win against West Brom.

I groaned out loud when I read this, absolute clown of a referee. We need someone who'll be strong enough not to give Arsenal a million free kicks for their players going down every time a defender brushes into them (I thought Michael Oliver was pretty good in that respect in the semi).

• Like 1