Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I know.....let's stick with the players that have been involved in relegation battles over the last few years.....jeez, you can't make it up.

I wasnt suggesting that we do, I was just asking if a 28 year old worth 500k whos international career consists of 4 under 21 caps is worthy of a spot in a 25 man squad that needs to be vastly improved.

Was thinking the same thing myself. I wouldn't mind replacing our "losers" for "winners" but this guy has only ever won an award for his beard! He's only played something like 110 games in 6 years.

Crespo is a good example of why speculation and newspaper links are largely useless.  Basically the first we heard of a Crespo link was his club confirming a move.  Which is the way I like it tbh.

• Like 4

I know.....let's stick with the players that have been involved in relegation battles over the last few years.....jeez, you can't make it up.

I wasnt suggesting that we do, I was just asking if a 28 year old worth 500k whos international career consists of 4 under 21 caps is worthy of a spot in a 25 man squad that needs to be vastly improved.

Was thinking the same thing myself. I wouldn't mind replacing our "losers" for "winners" but this guy has only ever won an award for his beard! He's only played something like 110 games in 6 years.

He's fairly experienced and is a versatile defender.  In theory (theory!) we could ship out 2 x squad players and he'll be able to cover that gap.  I've got no problem with that whatsoever.

I don't think he quite fits the 'winners' mould that sherwood is after but hopefully he can be adequate cover.

Might just be that he's replacing someone that's in the 'losers' mould. Seems to be a real purge of the squad.

Didn't we sign Olof Mellberg from a just-relegated Santander, or did they stay up by the skin of their teeth.  Regardless of that, it doesn't matter what happened the team.  We're not signing the team.  We're signing an individual who might have been a lot better than the rest.

• Like 4

From what I'm reading from respectable Spain based jornos, Crespo is a no-nonsense solid defender. They are saying he is good in the air and blocking, not so good from a technical POV.  Best as a CB but can cover at fullback.

That's pretty much how I would describe Baker.

Therefore I reckon Tim is thinking he can flog Baker, bring this guy in and we've made £1.5m back.  Plus we get a bit more versitility and experience to boot.

• Like 1

The one thing that does concern me this transfer window is the amount of comings and goings, especially if we are after 4 or 5 more players.

Sure it's exciting for us fans, but I just worry that we are doing 2-3 years worth of squad transformation in one window, and that we may have squad cohesion problems.

• Like 1

Didn't we sign Olof Mellberg from a just-relegated Santander, or did they stay up by the skin of their teeth.  Regardless of that, it doesn't matter what happened the team.  We're not signing the team.  We're signing an individual who might have been a lot better than the rest.

Just look at Liverpool fans reactions to Benteke for proof of that 

• Like 2

Crespo is a good example of why speculation and newspaper links are largely useless.  Basically the first we heard of a Crespo link was his club confirming a move.  Which is the way I like it tbh.

And that the so called ITKs on here actually know **** all

• Like 3

The one thing that does concern me this transfer window is the amount of comings and goings, especially if we are after 4 or 5 more players.

Sure it's exciting for us fans, but I just worry that we are doing 2-3 years worth of squad transformation in one window, and that we may have squad cohesion problems.

We have just finished 17th.

I'd take a few squad cohesion problems if it means it eventually clicks together and we stay well clear of the drop.

Any other club and i'd agree but really it couldn't get any worse (besides relegation of course) but better calibre of players usually means you end up higher up the table.

Yep I agree on one hand.  But the one thing that might save us is that most of the rotation is happening to the peripheral players.  We're getting rid of a lot of the shite and hopefully replacing it with better.  If you think about it, of the starting team we've only lost 2 players albeit 2 big big players, but there won't be a cohesion problem in replacing 2 players.  The only concern is replacing them with the required quality.  All in all, we should hopefully end up with a fresher squad that's better equipped and a first team that has a little bit more pressure to perform based on the stronger bench.

Man that was positive even for me :P

• Like 4

We have just finished 17th.

I'd take a few squad cohesion problems if it means it eventually clicks together and we stay well clear of the drop.

Any other club and i'd agree but really it couldn't get any worse (besides relegation of course) but better calibre of players usually means you end up higher up the table.

I understand what you're saying pal, I was just stating a concern about it that's all.

I'm pleased on the whole with the players being brought in, I'm just nervous about the possibility of it being too much too soon.

Like a typical Villa fan, I'm looking for the cloud attached to the silver lining.

• Like 1

Its definitely a worry but it seems like it has to be done. It feels like a bit of a do or die transfer window. Both exciting and scary times!

Yep I agree on one hand.  But the one thing that might save us is that most of the rotation is happening to the peripheral players.  We're getting rid of a lot of the shite and hopefully replacing it with better.  If you think about it, of the starting team we've only lost 2 players albeit 2 big big players, but there won't be a cohesion problem in replacing 2 players.  The only concern is replacing them with the required quality.  All in all, we should hopefully end up with a fresher squad that's better equipped and a first team that has a little bit more pressure to perform based on the stronger bench.

Man that was positive even for me :P

5/11 gone from starters of the FA Cup final though so it's a lot more than 2. As far as I'm concerned Benteke is brilliant but the rest are easily replaced.

5/11 gone from starters of the FA Cup final though so it's a lot more than 2. As far as I'm concerned Benteke is brilliant but the rest are easily replaced.

I'm talking first choicers though. Over the course of the season Given was a cup goalie. I know he played the last few league games too but I wouldn't count him here. Vlaar too was our 3rd choice player last season albeit primarily because of injury but taking him out of the squad still leaves us with the same 2 starters that we used for most of the season. I did forget about Cleverley, so yes 3 players to replace. But in terms of team cohesion I still think we're under the figure that would make it troublesome.