Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I'm getting annoyed with people already writing Gueye off, Jesus Christ. I personally don't see the obsession with Delph, I think Gueye will be much better. At least he can pass.

FWIW Gueye deal was moving forward way before the Delph one, he was never his replacement. I think we'll get another centre mid.

The opinion of people who have never seen him play holds equal merit with me whether they're lauding him or writing him off. I might even give him more than 3 games in the shirt before making my own mind up.

Benteke (going, no replacements strongly linked) = WORSE

This is where I stopped reading. If we're assuming players that are still here are going and assuming no decent replacements are coming in, simply because of a lack of links, then you're bound to reach a 'worse' outcome.

I know we're getting impatient, but i think we're just four 1st team signings off having a reasonably strong side for next year.  I'm hoping that the Amavi deal is still alive and we manage to squeeze it over the line fairly soon, then it is just three to go.

Going off the links so far, i wouldn't mind us lining up like this next season...

------------------ Guzan ----------------

New RB -- Richards -- Clark -- Amavi

-------Sanchez ------- Gueye ---------

--- Gil ------- Praet ------ Grealish ----

--------------Embolo -------------------

With a second string to pick from of:

------------------ Steer ----------------

Hutton -- Okore -- Baker -- Richardson

Bacuna - Westwood - Gardner - Sinclair

--------------- Gabby -------------------

----------------Kozak -------------------

That'd still leave us with: Bunn, Senderos, N'Zogbia, Cissoko, Cole, Robinson.  And aside from Bunn and Robinson, I think we'll end up shifting the others and adding some more young signings with potential such as Holgate etc.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS
  • Like 1

Oh yeah he is!  Good spot, allow me to edit  :D

And I guess it's down to the formation with Gil.  I sincerely hope that if we play a formation like last season with the two no.10 roles or the one above with three attacking mids (ala Chelsea) he will get a chance.  Sherwood has said that Sinclair is more of an out-and-out wide man.

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

Townsend for 15m is total insanity, absolute madness, what has he done to be valued anywhere near double figures?!?  At 5-6m could be ok but really there must be 100's of better / cheaper options around Europe, also think we have far more pressing area's of the team to fill, i.e. left back...

The thought of having both Nzogbia + Townsend on our wage bill, and running around like headless chickens makes me want to cry....

Clearly not valued by Spurs, makes me so sad that we might be ripped off by them paying over the odds for a player they don't believe is good enough for them, just wrong on so many levels.

• Like 3

Barring Austin I would be happy with those other signings.

I would prefer townsend over austin

Sorry but I can't agree, we would be very lucky to get a player as good as Austin to replace Benteke, Townsend is okay but not at 15m he ain't.

I think townsend would be a good signing.  £15 million is high but he's a 23 year old england international player, proven he can perform in the premier league and has his best years ahead of him. 

What's this Barton crap? Have we actually been linked or is this just us being our typically optimistic selves?

I haven't seen us linked with Barton in years. So yeah, it's just the usual VT wrist-slitting.

Laughed out loud... :crylaugh:

I know the transfer window isn't closed, but we are desperate for additions. We were desperate before the outgoings. Look at the team that played the FA Cup final, our last competitive game after a season we finished 17th;

Given (gone, replaced by Bunn) WORSE

Hutton

Okore

Vlaar (gone, replaced by Richards) POSSIBLY BETTER, BUT AT CB?

Richardson (still here ffs!)

Cleverley (gone, not replaced) WORSE

Westwood

Delph (gone, replaced with Gueye) WORSE (at least til had time to settle/adapt)

N'Zogbia (still here ffs!)

Benteke (going, no replacements strongly linked) WORSE

Grealish

So even worse than we were. Getting rid of the good players and keeping the rubbish ones! Yes, I'm panicking. It's been a dire situation for years but I can't think of a time in the last twenty years when we've been in this bad a situation. Something needs to happen soon because we're up that creek as it stands.

We've had seasons where we've scraped survival but have always gone in to the next season with renewed hope due to even a minor signing. We have never lost all the better players after struggling badly. Would we have survived last season without Cleverley, Delph and Benteke?

Dude, do you understand my previous responses to you now about chilling out a bit and allowing things to unfold?

• Like 1

I think townsend would be a good signing.  £15 million is high but he's a 23 year old england international player, proven he can perform in the premier leagueand has his best years ahead of him.

Has he though? I remember a brief flash where he seemed to be flavour of the month, but most of the time I've watched him I've been distinctly unimpressed. His goal/assist record from is also very poor from the quick glance I just did.

For £15M I feel we should be doing a LOT better than Townsend, and think we could, especially by looking abroad.

• Like 1