Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Lescott for 2.5 million at his age is awful business. He has what one good year left? We just got rid of overpaid Englishmen out of our squad.

I don't agree I think it would be a great bit of business.

as long as his wages are reasonable, 2.5 aint a thing

If you ask anyone on here what we need it's pretty obvious 90% would say defender and striker, it is even more apparent 3 games in. If we can see that I refuse to believe that those running the club can't see it.

So knowing that that is what we need I further refuse to believe we have done the business we have knowing that we are short in two key areas but having no plans and, more importantly, leaving no finances to be able to do anything about it. It's obvious Adama is not a development project but sherwood cannot in all seriousness say he is on the one hand and then on the other have nothing left to get the striker and defender.

It's pretty clear that we need to sell a few but surely this is lined up as well. The club seems to have been better run this summer with a clear plan being in place and actually being implemented and actually happening. So it would be very odd , I'm fact so completely alien against that backdrop, if we had two key positions not covered and not able to be covered.

You just look at the personnel we have in those areas. They can't believe baker and Clark are good enough, especially not since the season has started? Senderos is nowhere near and okore is injured, this leaves Richards and he is a right back trying to make central defence his own.

Striker we have a new lad to the division , support forwards and kozak who did well pre season but is recovering from major injury and the manager doesn't fancy him. So we need another focal point up front, we would have needed a new one if benteke had stayed here but we lost him and Weimann so we definitely need one now.

Goalkeeper I'd like a new one but the other two areas are more of a concern and a priority.

That's logical and there is no question we are being better run under this executive team, but equally with the clock ticking down it's not surprising people are getting nervous.

We desperately need to offload 4-5 players (and sentiment aside I'd have Gabby on that list) but if they were wanted men I think they'd already be gone. That would suggest that any fees generated from sales between now and the window shutting will be minimal and therefore won't contribute much to the purchasing budget.

So it's now a leap of faith that Lerner will do the necessary in order to bring in the striker we need. I'm not convinced.

The Ayew purchase feels like a potential howler and he was possibly meant to have filled the position/purchase you think we have (probably) budgeted to make before the window closes? If not, why did we buy both him and Sinclair? If there is no shiny new goal scorer coming then we'd better hope Ayew proves that first impressions of his ability are wrong.

• Like 1

If you ask anyone on here what we need it's pretty obvious 90% would say defender and striker, it is even more apparent 3 games in. If we can see that I refuse to believe that those running the club can't see it.

So knowing that that is what we need I further refuse to believe we have done the business we have knowing that we are short in two key areas but having no plans and, more importantly, leaving no finances to be able to do anything about it. It's obvious Adama is not a development project but sherwood cannot in all seriousness say he is on the one hand and then on the other have nothing left to get the striker and defender.

It's pretty clear that we need to sell a few but surely this is lined up as well. The club seems to have been better run this summer with a clear plan being in place and actually being implemented and actually happening. So it would be very odd , I'm fact so completely alien against that backdrop, if we had two key positions not covered and not able to be covered.

You just look at the personnel we have in those areas. They can't believe baker and Clark are good enough, especially not since the season has started? Senderos is nowhere near and okore is injured, this leaves Richards and he is a right back trying to make central defence his own.

Striker we have a new lad to the division , support forwards and kozak who did well pre season but is recovering from major injury and the manager doesn't fancy him. So we need another focal point up front, we would have needed a new one if benteke had stayed here but we lost him and Weimann so we definitely need one now.

Goalkeeper I'd like a new one but the other two areas are more of a concern and a priority.

Richards isn't a RB.

• Like 3

I think Adebayor will come crawling back at the last minute when he realises nobody else wants him.

I don't.
Not sure who else would be willing/desperate enough to take him and give him his wage demands.

Lescott for 2.5 million at his age is awful business. He has what one good year left? We just got rid of overpaid Englishmen out of our squad.

I dont agree this is 2-3 years too late. There are better options out there

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

I think im on the Austin bandwaggon too now!

We need somebody ready to go now, not in 6 months when they settle, so league experience is vital;

....and we dont need lazyness in this position, no matter how good his highlight reel looks!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

Richards isn't a RB.

predominantly played at right back in his career now trying to establish himself at centre back is what I could have said

I dont agree this is 2-3 years too late. There are better options out there

Such as?

I'm going to be bold and say that unless we sign a striker, then relegation is a very real possibility. It's well known that a lack of goals can very easily cost you your premier league status, it's exactly what happened with Burnley last year, despite some nice football being played.

I've been thinking about our squad and their are a few areas that concern me. I've been stewing it since yesterday and re-watching MOTD has only helped fuel my frustrations. Apologies if the below is wordy.

GK - I'm really worried about our options in the GK department this season. At the end of last season Sherwood dropped Guzan and replaced him with Given, a player that has subsequently been released to join Stoke. Now the new season has begun Guzan has been reinstated, despite early window rumours of us bidding £8m for Begovic. If Guzan was a young, inexperienced keeper I'd understand the need to "rest" him at the end of last season but he's not. I can get why Sherwood didn't play Gil last season as he was still getting used to the new club/league/surroundings but Guzan is a totally different situation. Personally I would like to see a new keeper come in before the window shuts but there are other more urgent areas so can understand if it doesn't happen.

RB - Hutton and Bacuna are solid options for RB.

LB - Amavi is going to be class despite a mistake yesterday. Crespo is a good backup too.

CB - Despite having 5 CB's in the squad in Okore, Richards, Clark, Baker and Senderos I really think the last 2 are not good enough for the PL. Okore and Richards should be our RCB options and we could do with bringing in an experienced left-footed CB to compete with Clark. At first I was against the Lescott signing but actually think he would be very good for us.

CM - Thought we needed an ACM however looking forward to seeing Gil come back and also what Grealish can do this season. Veretout will come good and Gueye looks class already. Hopefully Sanchez will continue to improve this season and Westwood is neat and tidy in midfield. We are fine from a CM position this season.

LW - Grealish and Sinclair can play here so no issues for me.

RW - Traore is going to be a beast this season (I hope) so again no concerns, especially as we have Sinclair who can play in this position.

ST - My biggest concern. Despite what I've written about Clark and the defence since yesterday, we have still only conceded 3 goals in 3 games. The most significant issue with our squad is our inability to convert chances. Gestede is a solid squad player who can have an impact but I don't see him getting 10+ goals in the league this season. Kozak seems to be completely unfavoured by Sherwood for whatever reason so I hope he is sold in this window to free up wages and a squad place for someone else. However, none of this compares to the farcical continuous selection of Agbonlahor, a player so out of form it's untrue yet somehow he is selected once again to play up front. We have Ayew as an option, and I think he will do ok as he's certainly going to be better than Weimann, but that is not saying much. We need a goal scorer and that is really worrying as they are so hard to find.

Only a week left to go until the window closes and there is a lot of work to do. Got to trust that Fox and Sherwood can see what we need and will get it sorted.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder if some kind of striker merry go round is going to happen between now and the end of the window.

I can't believe that serious interest in Austin hasn't led to bids that the press would have been aware of. QPR didn't play Austin in their cup game which suggests to me that he/they didn't want him cup tied

Villa certainly have the wage budget for another striker now that the Adebayor deal looks dead-I'd wager we could go £15 million as well.

Lerner isn't going to put in £15m of his money. He did it once with Darren Bent and he isn't going to do it again.

Lerner did not put any of his own money for Darren Bent. It was the proceeds of the Milner sale.

With the Bent deal, came the wage package as well. With the wages for Adebayor sanctioned (albeit for 1 season only), the club only need to consider a fee. I take on board Trents comments re net spend but with added income from TV and a healthier overall running budget, £12-15 mill is at least possible. It is still not too late for at least 1 more of our players to leave, bringing in a bit more revenue as well.

No there are not any positive links to Austin (from Villa) but we do need another striker and who else is available that is realistic? As I said in my previous post, I suspect more has gone on behind the scenes with Austin than we are aware of and its possible that a merry go round will take place in the next 2 weeks regarding strikers