Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Maybe Kozak is the man.. if we only play with one out and out striker then you have Benteke, and his back ups Kozak and Gabby - who's best position is probably lone striker but hasn't played there for years.

Do you need a 4th striker when you only play one up top?

• Like 1

Jeison Murillo to Inter for  £5.7m.

Probably couldn't have found a better deal on a CB. Young. Talented. Gonna be world class in a year or 2. Very much like a young Thiago Silva or Lucio. 

We should of been in for him. 

Played well in Copa America. How do you rate the other young guy at the back, Arias. Think he plays for PSV?

He's too good for Villa. He's probably on Manchester United level. 

Maybe Kozak is the man.. if we only play with one out and out striker then you have Benteke, and his back ups Kozak and Gabby - who's best position is probably lone striker but hasn't played there for years.

Do you need a 4th striker when you only play one up top?

Yes on the face of it. But we need to have the option of going front 2 for periods as well.

Supposedly Chelsea are looking to offload Cuarado, obviously out of out price range, but loan bid may be worthwhile. Chelsea have a history of sending a lot of players out on loan.

Now I know people don't like loans but he would add a lot of quality to the side

I haven't seen anything of Cuadrado to suggest he'll be any good in the premier league.

Like, Salah, he's quick but hasn't adapted to the league at all.

I also think both players were purchased by Chelsea with a view on stopping rivals buying them.

I still reckon Moussa Konate could be a good buy for a few million!! Came on leaps and bounds the last year and will known Gueye from Senegal internationals..

He is 22 years old and started to become lethal the last year in front of goal!!!

• Like 1

This is all too good to be true isn't it? Have we really got all this money?

Not seen the lad play but the stats and those who have seen him play, show him to be one of the best young left backs in the world right now...

He's the real deal. http://www.whoscored.com/Players/134902/

3 man of the matches in his last 10 games from left back (as a 21 year old) is pretty **** impressive

Seems to be quite a few links with France based players at the same time Newcastle are being linked with (Englishman) Charlie Austin.

Has Graham Carr been spotted in public lately? Or do we think Tim has him chained to Dale Stephens,

SAW 1 style   :detect: 

Edited by av1

So glad we are going after better (more expensive) players. Here is what I think the main benefit will be, consistency, usually when you pay that is what you are paying for. If you look at both full back positions the last few years, you can see the problems our recruitment policy was causing.

Right Back: 

• We sign Hutton under McLeish for £3m and wages of probably around £30k a week. The whole season was a disaster and Hutton wasn't very good.
  • Lambert came in & bought Lowtown for £3m and probably wages around £15k. He had a very good season.
  • Lowton was deservedly rewarded with a new contract at a guess I would say £25k.
  • Bacuna was purchased for £1m and at a guess £10k a week, Hutton had been on loan to Forest, Mallorca & Bolton but couldn't be shipped.
  • Lowton went massively off the boil, Bacuna came in and scored some goals and got some assists.
  • Hutton came back into the side, had some very solid performances and forced Bacuna to the bench, and got a new deal in the process.
  • Hutton was injured and Bacuna came back in and again provided goals and a hatful of assists.
  • We then had 3 right backs who on their day were well able to be our starting right back, and thus were all on decent enough money, however they all lack consistency, so we were probably shelling out £70k a week on 3 right backs and could (usually) only start one of a Saturday.

Left Back:

• Sign Bennett for £2.5m and probably £15k a week. Has a mare, forced to use Clark, Baker, Lichaj & even Stevens there.
  • Sign Luna for about £2m has a great start, falls away, same story using people out of position.
  • Spend £2m on Cissokho, £600k on Richardson, both been average at best.
  • Currently 4 left backs on pay roll costing £7m and you'd imagine about £80k a week.
  • Like 4

So glad we are going after better (more expensive) players. Here is what I think the main benefit will be, consistency, usually when you pay that is what you are paying for. If you look at both full back positions the last few years, you can see the problems our recruitment policy was causing.

Right Back: 

• We sign Hutton under McLeish for £3m and wages of probably around £30k a week. The whole season was a disaster and Hutton wasn't very good.
  • Lambert came in & bought Lowtown for £3m and probably wages around £15k. He had a very good season.
  • Lowton was deservedly rewarded with a new contract at a guess I would say £25k.
  • Bacuna was purchased for £1m and at a guess £10k a week, Hutton had been on loan to Forest, Mallorca & Bolton but couldn't be shipped.
  • Lowton went massively off the boil, Bacuna came in and scored some goals and got some assists.
  • Hutton came back into the side, had some very solid performances and forced Bacuna to the bench, and got a new deal in the process.
  • Hutton was injured and Bacuna came back in and again provided goals and a hatful of assists.
  • We then had 3 right backs who on their day were well able to be our starting right back, and thus were all on decent enough money, however they all lack consistency, so we were probably shelling out £70k a week on 3 right backs and could (usually) only start one of a Saturday.

Left Back:

• Sign Bennett for £2.5m and probably £15k a week. Has a mare, forced to use Clark, Baker, Lichaj & even Stevens there.
  • Sign Luna for about £2m has a great start, falls away, same story using people out of position.
  • Currently 4 left backs on pay roll costing £7m and you'd imagine about £80k a week.

.......exactly right.

Yes some will fail, that's the nature of the game, but if they succeed they are worth double straight away, more on a long term contact.

That can cover any loss on failures so it's not a bad business model, especially with the money floating around in the game and a potential £40million from Tekkers and Delph.

Sherwood has been very Spurs so far and I for one and bloody glad to see it, about time we punched at our weight as well as aimed higher.....I'll know we're a transformed club transfer wise when we go after a genuine £12-15million player like Spurs do when there's a young star available, I'm loving our ambition even if we don't get the players.

• Like 1

Watford apparently agreed fees for capoue and stambouli . Not seen much of the latter but capoue seems a decent enough player . Suprised we wasnt linked .

Sherwood dropped Capoue when he was at Spurs.

Right Back:

Left Back:

Great post. We are very lucky this crazy transfer policy didn't lead to relegation!

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert as he was never given the chance to spend proper money on transfers and wages and was left trying to get players in on £10-20k a week. I'd say he feels a bit gutted now that we are starting to spend big.

I'm quite surprised we have not been linked with many out-and-out strikers yet. Can only find old links to Austin.

This.

Must be relatively confidant the big marn ain't going nowhere, or that would be number one priority.

Just because there's not more links in the media doesn't mean he's not leaving. More just lazy journalism. We'd be a hard club to make a striker rumor for if Benteke is leaving. 

I'm quite surprised we have not been linked with many out-and-out strikers yet. Can only find old links to Austin.

This.

Must be relatively confidant the big marn ain't going nowhere, or that would be number one priority.

Just because there's not more links in the media doesn't mean he's not leaving. More just lazy journalism. We'd be a hard club to make a striker rumor for if Benteke is leaving.

I know that a lot of transfer talk is just rubbish "throw a dart" journalism, but considering that everyday we are hearing about Liverpool buying Benteke, wouldn't that flow on to lazily linking us with strikers too?

Apart from the lambert/borini as part of swap deal

Right Back:

Left Back:

Great post. We are very lucky this crazy transfer policy didn't lead to relegation!

It wasnt through lack of trying ;)

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert as he was never given the chance to spend proper money on transfers and wages and was left trying to get players in on £10-20k a week. I'd say he feels a bit gutted now that we are starting to spend big.

If he wasn't on course to take us down as record low goalscorers, he'd be the one spending it now I'd imagine.

Edited by Isa