Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

Mine came back with results heavily focused on New York (New York, Yonkers and Jersey). But with a weirdly high correlation with Georgia and Alabama too.

I sound nothing like any of those. But interesting to way accents borrow sounds even where the accents are actually very different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Curious to see results from non-Yanks. They pinpointed my dialect. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

My English, as a non-native speaker, is synthetic and slightly inconsistent anyway. I’d say it is quite RP, with a few more northern elements thrown in. However, I found it quite curious that it had me as similar to both New York, Boston, San Francisco and Hawaii. AFAIK, US east coast and west coast dialects are quite distinguishable from eachother. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I only got as far as this one, and couldn't answer it: 

IMG_20181102_171622.png

I didn't know that either, but most of my classes were easy (except geometry, algebra, chemistry, physics, English, history, Spanish, writing, music, gym, semiotics, metal shop, wood shop, and attendance).

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bickster said:

Other, we called them a doss

Yep, doss lessons were religious studies, music or drama for me.  Ironically I wish I'd taken more interest in music having learnt guitar in my twenties, but the music teacher had about 12 massive warts on his head that distracted me too much to listen to what he was going on about.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yep, doss lessons were religious studies, music or drama for me.  Ironically I wish I'd taken more interest in music having learnt guitar in my twenties, but the music teacher had about 12 massive warts on his head that distracted me too much to listen to what he was going on about.

The Head of the Music Department in our school would generally teach us sat at his piano with glass of scotch resting on top and a ciggie lit in the ashtray. That could quite easily be the 9:30 lesson or the 2:45

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

The Head of the Music Department in our school would generally teach us sat at his piano with glass of scotch resting on top and a ciggie lit in the ashtray. That could quite easily be the 9:30 lesson or the 2:45

Sounds great. That's what a piano player should be like. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maqroll said:

Curious to see results from non-Yanks. They pinpointed my dialect. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html

I'm technically a non-yank even though I've been here for 50 years.   It placed me in northern California and/or Milwaukee, with upstate New York also very strong.  I've lived in Rochester, NY and the SF Bay area, though never in Milwaukee, so it nailed me down pretty well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Obviously a real musician :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

Very interesting.

I'm from the West Mids, went to secondary school in Manchester (boarding) Uni in London, job in Germany then lived Indiana, Miami & New York.

A lot of the questions were about words that I have 'learned' so that I can be understood over here, whereas years ago I would have said something different. But I answered honestly for the language I use today  - and it came out as New York City! 

On one hand I think "Yes! I'm a New Yorker" but then again I think, "oh, I'm not very British anymore :("

• Like 1

Another one for the east coast for the dialect map. Providence, New York and Yonkers were pinpointed. But I also had orange patches in the Carolinas, Mississippi and Alabama.

Everywhere west of Minnesota was blue.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

New York, Honolulu and LA for me

Bright red on the West Coast, blue for Texas and yellow/orange for the rest (expect NY which was red)

Â