Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

San Fran, San Jose and Honolulu for me. 

Red/Orange around the New England area including New York, blue for the rest of the east coast and south easterly region then starts turning from orange to very red in Cali. 

I’ll take that though - San Fran is probs my fav city in the world. (That I have visited). 

I was actually surprised at how many terms that i considered "english" appeared as possible answers. Like "Fizzy Drink" or "Sarnie" or "roundabout"

I think there were only 2, maybe 3 questions that I had to click "other" on.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really interesting topic that I've studied in the past.

American law is a nightmare as it's drawn from the law of many different countries depending on the state. 

This particular legal problem comes from an ancient English law that you should always be tried by the people who live in the area where you committed a crime. 

Here's a real problem I worked on........

An Englishman assaults a Frenchman on a train somewhere in the channel tunnel. No-one knows where the train is at the time of the assault. The train is going to France. The Englishman is apprehended by Police waiting at the French terminus. 

Where do you hold the trial and why? 

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

This is a really interesting topic that I've studied in the past.

American law is a nightmare as it's drawn from the law of many different countries depending on the state. 

This particular legal problem comes from an ancient English law that you should always be tried by the people who live in the area where you committed a crime. 

Here's a real problem I worked on........

An Englishman assaults a Frenchman on a train somewhere in the channel tunnel. No-one knows where the train is at the time of the assault. The train is going to France. The Englishman is apprehended by Police waiting at the French terminus. 

Where do you hold the trial and why? 

The "no one knows where the train is at the time of the assault" bit is as flimsy as hell. Eurostar trains have timestamped CCTV and the train's progress is tracked.

The nationality of the assailant and the victim is irrelevant

It's one of those textbook problems that would never exist in reality.

The French make the arrest and do the initial investigation to determine whose jurisdiction the offence took place in and either continue or return the offender to the UK dependent upon the result of the investigation

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

The "no one knows where the train is at the time of the assault" bit is as flimsy as hell. Eurostar trains have timestamped CCTV and the train's progress is tracked.

The French make the arrest and do the initial investigation to determine whose jurisdiction the offence took place in and either continue or return the offender to the UK dependent upon the result of the investigation

But... Brexit. 

The Englishman strolls ashore in France, brushes off the weak, cowardly garlic-smelling gendarmes, shags a few easy French floozies, pisses on a statue of Napoleon, sprays the word 'Waterloo' on a wall, and catches the next train back to Blighty, where he receives a hero's welcome, is awarded the OBE, and tucks into a plate of fish and chips. 

/Boris Johnson

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

That's a great response Bickster but not correct. 

The French make the arrest?

UK Police powers include the platform at the French terminus. At the time (and probably still) Kent Police had an office there. The arrest was made by Kent Police operating legally in France.

Nationality is irrelevant?

100% corect. 

Timestamped CCTV could establish the location?

Nope.  Movies lead us to believe that CCTV is much better than it actually is.  Even if it could, it's completely irrelevant. 

It would never exist in reality?

It did. 

3 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

UK Police powers include the platform at the French terminus. At the time (and probably still) Kent Police had an office there. The arrest was made by Kent Police operating legally in France.

Timestamped CCTV could establish the location?

Nope.  Movies lead us to believe that CCTV is much better than it actually is.  Even if it could, it's completely irrelevant. 

It would never exist in reality?

It did. 

Surely if such powers exist they only exist on the London bound platform. You enter French jurisdiction at St Pancras bound for France and UK Juristriction at Gare du Nord on London bound trains

You don't need absolute clarity to determine the point at which the assault begins. CCTV isn't that bad, I deal with CCTV images from the police all the time

So if it really happened, what was the outcome

This was the position in the 90s and probably still is.

By agreement UK Police cover  trains from the UK to a line on the French Platform.  Vice versa for Le Police. 

But it's a wonderful agreement as it allows both Police forces to vary from that in reasonable circumstances. French Police can Police the area if necessary. 

Luckily we are both in the EU and if that agreement were challenged an EU court could rule on the matter. 

Welcome to the world of Brexit. 

Â