Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

11 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

on a similar theme 

wait.jpg

Nah, out of date, my Waitrose in Preston isn’t there, and the Southport store closed years ago.  And as @bickstersaid we don’t need shandy drinking southerners, we’ve got Booths.

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

I would have thought it would be Levi's profile page :P

Oh that 😁 Yeah I wanted to see how long he was back in action 👍

56 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

on a similar theme 

wait.jpg

Always find it quirky when smaller places find themselves labelled alongside the bigger towns and cities when the map is reasonably zoomed out. 

On this occasion, Bilston, somehow managing to make half an appearance, seemingly at the expense of Wolverhampton.

On 08/07/2019 at 05:41, The_Rev said:

It does include Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.   Just shows where the centre of the country really is though, geographically it's somewhere around Birmingham (varies slightly depending on your methodology of measurement) but if you are taking the centre as being somewhere in the middle of where people actually live then it's probably just outside of Milton Keynes! 

The population centroid of the UK was, in the 1990s, basically Appleby Parva in Leicestershire.  It's likely now somewhat south and east of there.

My eldest son works at Wait-rose ( as they say round these parts). It's fab, he gets mega discounts on things (even John Lewis), makes stuff almost as cheap as other supermarkets!

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Booths is great, much better than Waitrose. Doesn't help us in the Midlands though that pretty much have neither now that Waitrose are closing down everywhere.

Cheek. I can drive to two different Waitrose stores within 5 minutes from Shirley. 

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Certainly can't in Sutton any more.

Sutton seems to have died as a retail destination from what I can gather. 

Was historically probably ahead of Solihull but now Solihull is a dot on the horizon comparatively. 

On 15/10/2020 at 02:16, bickster said:

The World as divided by.the TWO Aldis. The are two different supermarket chains called Aldi. Adli Nord and Aldi Sud, both German companies. They used to be one company until the brothers fell out... Over stocking cigarettes, one brother though they should the other brother thought they attract shoplifters, so they split the company in two and have been separate entities ever since. Generally where one goes the other doesn't. Only Germany and the USA has both brands.

Two different Aldi companies

If you count Trader Joe's as Aldi, I guess.  There's a running genre of tweet which boils down to "Trader Joe's is Aldi for white university graduates".  Store footprints are about the same, but the merchandise mix and a most operational practices are radically different.

I do have a fascination with areas which can support both a Trader Joe's and an Aldi.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 21:39, sidcow said:

Sutton seems to have died as a retail destination from what I can gather. 

Was historically probably ahead of Solihull but now Solihull is a dot on the horizon comparatively. 

Sutton is a ghost town now. Everyone in Sutton is moving to and/or shopping in Lichfield now. 

Sutton is the new Erdington

Erdington is the new Mos Eisley 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sutton is a ghost town now. Everyone in Sutton is moving to and/or shopping in Lichfield now. 

Sutton is the new Erdington

Erdington is the new Mos Eisley 

Shopping wise yes, however there are still a lot of really good restaurants. I think that if/when they ever decide to sort out the Gracechurch centre they really need to concentrate on food and drink as much as retail. Not sure that the plans they've released will do anything of the kind though - they mostly seem concerned with large orange arrows:

IMG_11042022_192455_(500_x_691_pixel).png.73462e34cd43bebef57b4d1e2fa0d9c0.png

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

What the f is going on in the middle of Spain? Is there another Chernobyl series coming on HBO?

It's usually related to the underlying geology. The thing that map also doesn't tell you is that the top of the scale and the bottom of the scale aren't really that high at all in comparison say to the Red Forest around Chernobyl

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

What the f is going on in the middle of Spain? Is there another Chernobyl series coming on HBO?*

*hope so!

Radon in the ground. I have to actively ventilate my house to get under safe levels. It's a bitch when electricity gets expensive in the winter, like this year.

Â