The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

17 hours ago, PaulC said:

Personally think its more a case of the squad not being good enough rather than Sherwood being clueless.

It's neither one or the other.

It's both.

Sherwood is clueless and the squad isn't good enough. Sherwood needs to drop down a level and learn more he admits himself he made mistakes.

We will probably play against a team managed by him next season in the championship, should be fun.

There is no doubt the club is rotten but i've seen enough from Sherwood to suggest he needs to learn alot more before taking another premier league job.

Sherwood made a better start at Villa than Garde,

You've forgotten Sherwood's first couple of games then?

They were **** dreadful.

Let's judge Garde in a couple of months when he's actually had a chance.

Really enjoyed some of the stuff we were playing at the end of the season...well not the last 3 games but beforehand we were playing well. Our form actually wasn't far off what Leicester were doing...I think at one stage we won 5 league games in 9 which must've been our best run since the MON era. Yet just like in the run in to Lambert's first season we just couldn't sustain the momentum into this season.

As you've seen from my posts I cut Sherwood more slack than Lambert. IMO for most of his reign his style of Football was what I wanted to see and far better than Lambert's plus. It didn't take that long for him to be potted when things started to go wrong either, Lambert's reign really did seem to go on forever, so many shite goaless and winless runs.

The more I think about it I think losing Benteke was just too much and too early in his managerial career to cope with, there didn't really seem a succession plan there. You've seen more experienced managers like Rodgers and AVB struggle to replace Suarez and Bale when they've gone.

Benteke gave us everything in the final third. I have no idea what happened once Adebayor changed his mind overcome and why we then botched up signing another striker. Remember Adebayor and Gestede were going to be announced on the same day signing, I would've been happy with that.

Instead we've had Gestede as first choice striker for a lot of the season when he's nowhere near good enough. I honestly think Sherwood came to the decision on the way back from Bournemouth that Rudy would be good enough to fire us to safety after his debut goal. A very wrong and naive decision and one which will cost us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

His first game was dreadful. I thought there were improvements in his second game against Newcastle and then we won the next 3 with some really good performances. 

the 1st game we did OK think we even took the lead(which was amazing as coming off the days when we never attacked) and should have got a draw until Vlaar lost his head

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Just checked from early March to early May we won 5 of 8 league games. That must be the best run we've had since MON, did Lambert ever come close to that, maybe end of 12/13?

Can't see us winning 5 games rest of season.

Yes its easily forgotten because we only won 1 in 10 under him this season. Hero to clown.

• 4 weeks later...

Old Tictacs is sharing his wisdom, and his inability to pronounce "th", alongside Andy Townsend on the PL coverage here in Canada.

Hopeless pundits. Townsend can barely get a word in without Tim jumping in to walk about the "freat" of Leicester and how they need to "ficken up" the midfield.

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Old Tictacs is sharing his wisdom, and his inability to pronounce "th", alongside Andy Townsend on the PL coverage here in Canada.

Hopeless pundits. Townsend can barely get a word in without Tim jumping in to walk about the "freat" of Leicester and how they need to "ficken up" the midfield.

I'd pay to laugh at that...

• 3 weeks later...

He was on Sky today covering the match. Pleasantly surprised that he spoke very positively about the club, the players and the fans.

He mentioned that we were only 4 points from safety when he was sacked, and that Remi was given 28 games to turn it around, but other than that - I think he spoke very highly of the club and his belief that we can get out of trouble.

He also said that the new signings are good players, but need time. And he also commented that Villa's recruitment process is no different to any other club.

Now whether behind the scenes he has his media contacts spinning different stories I don't know, but from the horses mouth I think we should acknowledge the fact that he is treating the club with respect.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

He was on Sky today covering the match. Pleasantly surprised that he spoke very positively about the club, the players and the fans.

He mentioned that we were only 4 points from safety when he was sacked, and that Remi was given 28 games to turn it around, but other than that - I think he spoke very highly of the club and his belief that we can get out of trouble.

He also said that the new signings are good players, but need time. And he also commented that Villa's recruitment process is no different to any other club.

Now whether behind the scenes he has his media contacts spinning different stories I don't know, but from the horses mouth I think we should acknowledge the fact that he is treating the club with respect.

I saw him on it but was too far back in the pub to hear what he was on about other than the penalty which he thought was harsh.

No doubt that will get ignored by people with agendas, yes I know he deserved to get sacked in the end but IMO the man dosen't deserve more derision than Paul Lambert as we had more highs in his time here and at least his reign didn't go on and on and on as it seemed to do for eternity with Lambert here.,

• Like 4

Just now, VillaChris said:

I saw him on it but was too far back in the pub to hear what he was on about other than the penalty which he thought was harsh.

No doubt that will get ignored by people with agendas, yes I know he deserved to get sacked in the end but IMO the man dosen't deserve more derision than Paul Lambert as we had more highs in his time here and at least his reign didn't go on and on and on as it seemed to do for eternity with Lambert here.,

Exactly - its not his fault if the board didn't sack him early enough!

Yep fair play, he did come across well, both as an ex boss and a pundit in general.

The only thing that let him down was his insistence that Gabby was the solution to our problems up front :)

Spoke very positively about us and wasn't drawn in to having any digs at transfers which I think the presenter was fishing for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

And he also commented that Villa's recruitment process is no different to any other club.

Hopefully we can start putting to bed the ridiculousness caused by a couple of media reports then.

I couldn't bring myself to watch feeling that this very situation was what the mute button had been designed for all along. However sounds like he honoured his contractual obligations by not (directly) bad mouthing is in public so good news.

• Like 1

Â