The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I like sherwoods attitude, glad he feels confident, rather that then he cast doubt on the game

Yes. He has always been very positve BEFORE games, he's always bigging himself and the club up before a game. Then feeling "the worst ever" afterwards and shifting blame (even though as in this presser he takes full responsibility before the game.

The big problem is his seeming inability to transfer this into a good team performance which gets us some points. I would suggest his inability to do this is linked to the fact he handles defeats badly with the group, and so they aren't exactly properly coached and motivated. Then rinse and repeat, we are awesome, we will win, I am great, teh players are great, big club, BEFORE the game. Defeat. I feel so bad, the players need to do better, we were shit...

Pretty sure that's not how it works is it?

Rather than picking out little sound bites I have just watched his press conference in full and I have to say Sherwood comes across very well. Pete Colley asked some decent questions and Sherwood seemed confident, acknowledges he is under pressure, acknowledges he is 100% responsible for performances and if he gets the sack it will ultimately be his fault, says he has confidence in the players and specifically says he has confidence in Guzan and that he doesn't blame him for last week as they are all in it together. He was asked if the players were all his recommendations and he said that he recommended some players to the committee, they also put some names forward and the committee went away and saw what was feasible and he was happy with what they came back with. He also praised Gary Monk.

It is one thing talking the talk but of course talk is cheap it is results that matter. Those looking to pick bones and scrutinize everything he says though are barking up the wrong tree for me. Why rip him to pieces for everything little thing. The results are enough justification for having a go at him that being petty or twisting the smallest action or statement is not required.

I think people are just tired of him constantly talking the talk before matches and promising this and that and never delivering.

• Like 2

Rather than picking out little sound bites I have just watched his press conference in full and I have to say Sherwood comes across very well. Pete Colley asked some decent questions and Sherwood seemed confident, acknowledges he is under pressure, acknowledges he is 100% responsible for performances and if he gets the sack it will ultimately be his fault, says he has confidence in the players and specifically says he has confidence in Guzan and that he doesn't blame him for last week as they are all in it together. He was asked if the players were all his recommendations and he said that he recommended some players to the committee, they also put some names forward and the committee went away and saw what was feasible and he was happy with what they came back with. He also praised Gary Monk.

It is one thing talking the talk but of course talk is cheap it is results that matter. Those looking to pick bones and scrutinize everything he says though are barking up the wrong tree for me. Why rip him to pieces for everything little thing. The results are enough justification for having a go at him that being petty or twisting the smallest action or statement is not required.

I think people are just tired of him constantly talking the talk before matches and promising this and that and never delivering.

It's the players that never deliver

It's the players that never deliver

It's their responsibility as well of course but he shouldn't be making statements like "we will win", "we won't be in another relegation fight while I'm here", because he can't, obviously, guarantee that. It's just putting extra pressure on a already poor and under pressure team. And it will bite him in the arse afterwards and makes him (and thereby Aston Villa) look like fools.

Is there anyone on here who, at time of them being hired, didn't approve of at least one of Houllier, McLeish, Lambert or Sherwood? Please identify yourself as I'm genuinely interested if such a person exists! I say this because they are, by and large, four very different managers in both style and character.

If you accept that you approved of at least one of them (at the time) then I struggle to understand why people can not see past "crap team = crap manager". Ths isn't in support of Sherwood particularly, but I really think the importance of the manager is over-estimated to genie like proportions where we expect them to make diamonds out of mud and accuse them of being useless if they don't. That's not to say each manager hasn't made mistakes, every manager does, but what can we really expect with such player purchases?!

One signing this summer was proven Prem quality, Richards. We've taken a rubbish team, stripped it of it's best players, removed any Premier experience and had a huge influx of foreign, often inferior league, cheap, unproven potential players. What do people really expect?! If we were lucky it might have worked but the chances were always slim. It was impossible to replace Benteke, we got pittance for Delph and nothing for Cleverly's resurgence. We lost experienced heads in Vlaar and Given (I'm sure them being high earners was just a coincidence) and seem to have placed our hopes on player recruitment on a rookie manager (especially considering size of overhaul) and two business men with potential profit seemingly outweighing instant impact. When we've had such an overhaul, do we have the luxury of time to develop Ilori, Traore and Ayew in particular?

Considering the starting point for each manager, the funds and wage constraints they were given, some have done better than others. But it is not them who have failed to get us 'where we belong', it's Lerner.

I said this on September 1st, it doesn't matter who the manager is, with the level of investment (especially considering the departures) the absolute best we can hope for this season is 17th and standing still. Anyone asking for anymore than that is frankly deluded. If Sherwood is failing to keep us in division by all means sack him, but don't suddenly expect midtable safety whoever the next manager is. Every year will be a slog until we start at least matching our opponents spends, partially in transfers but definitely in wages. Money doesn't guarantee success but it's a pretty accurate guideline.

Personally I think the damage has been done now, Sherwood or whoever, we won't survive unless we significant invest in January. The situation isn't a surprise to me at all, the fact it seems to have come as a shock to a lot of people is. Really, what were people expecting?

Edited by jackbauer24
  • Like 1

Is there anyone on here who, at time of them being hired, didn't approve of at least one of Houllier, McLeish, Lambert or Sherwood? Please identify yourself as I'm genuinely interested if such a person exists! I say this because they are, by and large, four very different managers in both style and character.

If you accept that you approved of at least one of them (at the time) then I struggle to understand why people can not see past "crap team = crap manager". Ths isn't in support of Sherwood particularly, but I really think the importance of the manager is over-estimated to genie like proportions where we expect them to make diamonds out of mud and accuse them of being useless if they don't. That's not to say each manager hasn't made mistakes, every manager does, but what can we really expect with such player purchases?!

One signing this summer was proven Prem quality, Richards. We've taken a rubbish team, stripped it of it's best players, removed any Premier experience and had a huge influx of foreign, often inferior league, cheap, unproven potential players. What do people really expect?! If we were lucky it might have worked but the chances were always slim. It was impossible to replace Benteke, we got pittance for Delph and nothing for Cleverly's resurgence. We lost experienced heads in Vlaar and Given (I'm sure them being high earners was just a coincidence) and seem to have placed our hopes on player recruitment on a rookie manager (especially considering size of overhaul) and two business men with potential profit seemingly outweighing instant impact. When we've had such an overhaul, do we have the luxury of time to develop Ilori, Traore and Ayew in particular?

Considering the starting point for each manager, the funds and wage constraints they were given, some have done better than others. But it is not them who have failed to get us 'where we belong', it's Lerner.

I said this on September 1st, it doesn't matter who the manager is, with the level of investment (especially considering the departures) the absolute best we can hope for this season is 17th and standing still. Anyone asking for anymore than that is frankly deluded. If Sherwood is failing to keep us in division by all means sack him, but don't suddenly expect midtable safety whoever the next manager is. Every year will be a slog until we start at least matching our opponents spends, partially in transfers but definitely in wages. Money doesn't guarantee success but it's a pretty accurate guideline.

Personally I think the damage has been done now, Sherwood or whoever, we won't survive unless we significant invest in January. The situation isn't a surprise to me at all, the fact it seems to have come as a shock to a lot of people is. Really, what were people expecting?

The concerning thing regarding Sherwood is that his previous job came about because the team he was a coach for sold their best player, bought heavily, and the existing manager struggled to fit all of the new pieces together (on top of Sherwood himself manipulating his way into the frame). You would think that his biggest piece of advice from that experience would have been to consolidate the existing squad and buy only a few players to help the squad kick on and improve in one or two position. Not double down on  the Spurs strategy and buy a whole new squad. 

We may have a crap team, but Sherwood has proved himself to have no game plane whatsoever, his substitutions are maybe the worst I've ever seen. He changes his team every week, which proves he has no idea on how he wants the team to play, every week he makes weird decisions that make no sense, playing a target man and trying to play tiki taka, playing long ball without a target man. 5 attackers vs. Notts county shows just have naive he is, he expects the players to win the game, no matter the tactic. Sherwood picks 11 players before he chooses the tactic  Managers make a bigger difference than you think. 

Lescott is also proven prem quality and is arguably our worst signing.  

I never expected mid table, but I expect to have a manager that knows more about tactics than I and most other fans do. Also I do blame Lerner for where we are(as does everyone) But any team spending £50 million should be able to get at least a decent team. Lerner could easily have pocketed the money. Also we have one of the more expensive teams, both on how much the players cost + wages. 

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

Â