The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Just because they haven't replaced him doesn't mean they don't intend to. I'd bet my cat they are talking to people. Only question is whether they've signed anything yet or not.

It is not only that, I would prefer Kevin MacDonald in charge so we have the best possible chance to win some games.

A shoestring?! Did you see how much money we spent this summer? Lambert had sod all in comparison. 

Rubbish! Who gives a piss about what Lambert had? He failed. 

You're so dedicated to the Tim-Is-Root-Of-All-Wrong paradigm, you can't see the bigger picture. 

In the context of the league, Villa hasn't spent shite. We're #18 in rank -- and in net spending.

Not good enough for a team that has barely survived relegation year after year. 

According to sky, we were 15th in terms of net spend.

According to the guardian, we spent the 6th most of all teams.

Overall - the fact that we shelled out in excess of 50mil is the important factor here. Ten teams didn't even spend half of that, including all of the recently promoted ones. And I think we actually bought well too - lots of talented young players who are finding their feet in this league. 

It doesn't matter how you look at it - it's not a shoestring. That's such hyperbolic rubbish, I felt compelled to put that right. 

• Like 2

A shoestring?! Did you see how much money we spent this summer? Lambert had sod all in comparison. 

You're so dedicated to the Tim-Is-Root-Of-All-Wrong paradigm, you can't see the bigger picture. 

In the context of the league, Villa hasn't spent shite. We're #18 in rank -- and in net spending.

Overall - the fact that we shelled out in excess of 50mil is the important factor here. Ten teams didn't even spend half of that, including all of the recently promoted ones. And I think we actually bought well too - lots of talented young players who are finding their feet in this league. 

It doesn't matter how you look at it - it's not a shoestring. That's such hyperbolic rubbish, I felt compelled to put that right. 

yeah but the difference is others spending 20 million to improve their squads. We had to spend 50 million to at best break even with the players we lost. Delph Cleverley Benteke Vlaar. Randy needed to pull his finger out and give us 20 milion on top and we should have aimed for a few more proven quality. A striker to replace Benteke worth 10-15 million. Not having to spread the 50 million to fill our squad as we let go 13 players.

I agree though.. the money we did have we did spent it well.. i think when a new manager comes in we will see the real players we bought. When they are actually given proper instructions to do rather than this tactical mess we are now experiencing.

• Like 1

- Delph and Benteke were the only big losses, really. People didn't generally rate Cleverley and it's clear that Vlaar's injuries are getting the better of him. I think that Gana and Veretout will prove to be better combined than Delph and Cleverley, too. 

- Which of the other players that we let go were important to keep or even needed replacing? They were stinking up the place and barely even worth a space on the bench. Most of them were surplus to requirements.

- I agree that we didn't replace Benteke but I don't think it was as simple as just signing a striker for 15mil. There had to be the right guy available for the right price who wanted to come to us. Furthermore, I think it was important to try and spread the goals around the team a bit more and stop the over-reliance on just one guy for goals - a lot of people were concerned that our other attackers didn't chip in enough, and we bought some more attacking players to facilitate that. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

yeah but the difference is others spending 20 million to improve their squads. We had to spend 50 million to at best break even with the players we lost. Delph Cleverley Benteke Vlaar. Randy needed to pull his finger out and give us 20 milion on top and we should have aimed for a few more proven quality. A striker to replace Benteke worth 10-15 million. Not having to spread the 50 million to fill our squad as we let go 13 players.

I agree though.. the money we did have we did spent it well.. i think when a new manager comes in we will see the real players we bought. When they are actually given proper instructions to do rather than this tactical mess we are now experiencing.

That is the key point right there, losing a player like Benteke and not replacing him with a goal scorer. Obviously were not asking for a player of equal skill but someone who can put the ball in the back of the net. With the right game plan and tactics our team is a competitive squad.

Gestede is 1 in 2 for us so far, same as Benteke was. 

We're talking about goals here, just to clarify - not comparing them in terms of technique etc. Benteke is clearly a better player but their ratios for us, at the moment, are the same. 

• Like 3

Having Gestede in the side limits us to whacking in shit crosses and hoping for the best (unless amavi gets forward) and benching Grealish and Gil......

It doesn't need to. Shitwood is the one deciding who plays and who doesn't. We've all seen that Grealish and Gil can cross the ball very well, so there's no reason why we can't play them all together.

Having Gestede in the side limits us to whacking in shit crosses and hoping for the best (unless amavi gets forward) and benching Grealish and Gil......

It doesn't need to. Shitwood is the one deciding who plays and who doesn't. We've all seen that Grealish and Gil can cross the ball very well, so there's no reason why we can't play them all together.

There was also that chance he had against stoke when he went on a little run and had a shot (gestede) think there's more to come from him than just been a target man.

If we could just settle on a team and have a plan.....

Edited by villan_007

- Delph and Benteke were the only big losses, really. People didn't generally rate Cleverley and it's clear that Vlaar's injuries are getting the better of him. I think that Gana and Veretout will prove to be better combined than Delph and Cleverley, too. 

- Which of the other players that we let go were important to keep or even needed replacing? They were stinking up the place and barely even worth a space on the bench. Most of them were surplus to requirements.

- I agree that we didn't replace Benteke but I don't think it was as simple as just signing a striker for 15mil. There had to be the right guy available for the right price who wanted to come to us. Furthermore, I think it was important to try and spread the goals around the team a bit more and stop the over-reliance on just one guy for goals - a lot of people were concerned that our other attackers didn't chip in enough, and we bought some more attacking players to facilitate that. 

I am agreeing with you.. but we needed squad depth after releasing 13 players. So we had to use alot of the money we generated on bringing in a squad which didnt leave much to improve on players we lost. Although i think we did good as i agree that Gana Veretout will be better players down the track.

I would have thought Charlie Austin for 15 million would have been better than Ayew and Gestede. Now if Randy gave us what he should have another 10-15 we could have brought in Ayew anyway for depth.

Anyway the important thing is to being in a new manager to use our squad and get the best out of them as Sherwood isnt.

Sherwood can f right off. He is a cowardly little snake in the grass. What he is doing is worse than anything Delph did. Chucking the players and the club under the bus to save his own worthless skin is bad enough, but the underhand manner in which he is doing it is the true measure of the man. I'd get rid this morning if I could. 

Edited by Straggler
  • Like 1

Thing is though if he leaked it to try and protect his reputation he can't out right deny it. If he does he hangs the journo's out to dry who ran the story, plus it blows the attempt to protect his reputation.

If they push him on it, which I'd expect them to do, then he is going to have to comment.

Plus there is the 2 games thing to be raised.

I'm very curious to see how he handles the pressure. More BS bravado I'm sure although it wouldn't surprise me if he sent Wilkins.

His press conference will be interesting tomorrow that's or sure. Will be interesting to see what approach both he and the press take.

Would hazard a guess that we will almost certainly hear the following sentence's

'Tim Sherwood won't give up, I'm a fighter'

'THE PLAYERS have to be brave, show some fight, A Tim Sherwood team will never stop fighting.

Â