The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

That's just my thoughts, call it absurd if you wish Stevo but fact is we are relegation candidates as it stands so the 50m clearly didn't have the desired impact and for me it was just not enough to replace the entire spine of the team as well as strengthen the rest of the squad!

It is absurd.

And we're relegation candidates right now because we're being badly managed. Sherwood actually bought well, imo. He's managing the team poorly.

Ironic that he is seemingly trying to discredit the one area of the job the fans think he has done well :)

I think our first eleven is weaker in midfield and attack than it was last season.

Benteke > Gestede or Ayew.

Cleverley + Delph > Gana/Vereout (at this moment in time).

Gana and Vereout may prove to be better than the 2 best CMs we had last season, one is young and both are adapting to the league, but right now Delph and Cleverley would offer a PL side more.

• Like 1

Overall the squad is better than it was last year. Just need someone to manage them properly.

Disagree with this. We have replaced Lowton with Crespo, Baker with Ilori, Vlaar with Richards, Senderos with Lescott,Delph with Gana, Cleverley with Veretout, Benteke with Gestede and Weimann with Ayew. I'm failing to see any level of improvement apart from Richards coming in.

I think all them will prove to be improvements, with the exception of Gestede on Benteke and possibly Gana on Delph. Although Gana was looking really useful before his injury and didn't look that much of a down-grade on Delph, he was poor against Stoke but I think he'll be back to his best before long.

That's just my thoughts, call it absurd if you wish Stevo but fact is we are relegation candidates as it stands so the 50m clearly didn't have the desired impact and for me it was just not enough to replace the entire spine of the team as well as strengthen the rest of the squad!

It is absurd.

And we're relegation candidates right now because we're being badly managed. Sherwood actually bought well, imo. He's managing the team poorly.

Hold on, according him, he didn't actually buy these players, right?

The net spend isn't relevant as such but i think it's crazy to say he "had 50m to spend" as though had it to spend to improve the team we ended last season with as that wasn't quite the case was it!

From the struggling team he inherited he lost Benteke, Delph, Cleverley, Vlaar and Given. Those were the best players at this club!!  On top of that he had to try to actually improve on the team from last season and had correctly identified that others were not good enough so those also had to go or be omitted, players such as Nzogbia, Baker, Senderos, Bent, Weimann, Kozack etc etc 

Lets not forget that but for Sherwoods arrival and the bounce it created we would surely have now been a Championship side.. We survived by the skin of our teeth.

50m was nowhere near enough for such major surgery as we are now finding out. We needed to spend that just to replace Benteke, Vlaar, Cleverley & Delph! As it is i think we have just about replaced:

Delph (Gana)

Vlaar (Richards)

Weimann (Ayew)

Given ??????

Benteke ???????????????????

Bent ?????

Kozack (Gestede)

Cleverley ?????

Nzogbia (Traore)

So for me with the 50m those departures generated, we have not even adequately replaced Benteke, Given, Cleverley or Senderos or even Bent for that matter who had goals in him!

The lack of actual investment by the wantaway owner is crippling the club and will likely see us relegated and deservedly so...keep playing with fire & all that!

I think your analysis is fair.....personally, I have an issue with the character of the side, that may be largely down to so many foreign imports.....but there again i do see character in the likes of saido Mane, Andre Ayew, Praet

It is absurd.

Ironic that he is seemingly trying to discredit the one area of the job the fans think he has done well :)

think, being the operative word, time may prove that wasn't so good either.

Overall the squad is better than it was last year. Just need someone to manage them properly.

Disagree with this. We have replaced Lowton with Crespo, Baker with Ilori, Vlaar with Richards, Senderos with Lescott,Delph with Gana, Cleverley with Veretout, Benteke with Gestede and Weimann with Ayew. I'm failing to see any level of improvement apart from Richards coming in.

Because. of. the. manager.

It really isn't hard to grasp.

• Like 2

Get Frank De Boer in, he'll teach the players how to play total football Ajax of the 90's Style.

We have already tried the Dutch style in 2011/12

Yes, but you need a dutchman as manager for it to work.

Danny Blind is Dutch and will probably be available shortly, would you want him? ;)

Dick Advocaat is free :P

Unfortunately, this begs a question; would you rather take Dick or go Blind?

I'd rather keep Sherwood or go back to the Lambert or McLeish days if they were our only options :D

• Like 1

Feels like we're (in this topic) just twiddling our thumbs and making conversation/arguments for the sake of it (and making the same points over and over again). We know he's going, we know it started well and went south, we know he's a charlatan and we know he's going soon. Can't wait to just put this miserable experiment behind us

Bit late to the Lambert v Sherwood party, but...

Lambert managed to guide Norwich to back to back promotions from L1 to the Prem, and then secured a mid table finish for them, not many managers will come close to matching that sort of record.  It's a record to be proud off and regardless of how badly his reign at Villa Park finished.  Sherwood won't come close to matching that sort of record, of that I'm sure.

Sadly Lambert joined us at the worse possible time, working under a poor ceo, with the club seemingly having a mandate to slash playing staff costs and unwind the excess of the MON era.  Whereas Sherwood has joined right as we start to get some structure back in place, working under a capable ceo, and with most of the overpaid average players washed out of the club, vastly different circumstances.

I agree Lambert would have got us relegated last year, of that I have absolutely no doubt, however that does't mean he a is 'worse' manager than Sherwood.  The pressure and weight of expectation simply got too much for him, I think he'll resurface somewhere in the not too distant future and do an ok job.

• Like 2

Lambert will go down as one of the worst managers we have had in our history. Well at least top 5. Please let's forget him.

Not even close, but that's for another thread

A very decent bloke doing his best at a very difficult job - comfortably head and shoulders above Sherwood

but agree lets move on from Lambert now

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 3

Â