The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I don't think it was personally Stevo but each to their own! For me we needed another 20 to 30m spent to replace Benteke, Bent and Given, then with all the extra's like Veretout, Crespo & the likes of Grealish maturing it should have been enough to see us climb the table... that 20 to 30m is what the owner should have added to the pot from the overall turnover or wads of TV cash... didn't even need to dip into his own pocket.

Nzogbia is still here yes Rubberman but surely Traore was his replacement though sadly got injured against Notts County and also has no Prem experience which Nzog has in abundance (Not that it shows). I can't wait to see Traore he's a modern day Tony Morley from what i saw against Notts County but fact is he's not playing at the mo!

Still the fact remains we have not replaced all of those key players from last season despite spending the 50m they generated and the glaring omission in all that is we have not replaced the main one of all...Benteke! I know there was a plan to bring in Adebayor but it didn't come off and was frankly never likely to as the guy appears to want to stay in Landon. 

Disagree, we didnt have to replace Bent and Given.  Lambert was able to keep us up a season without playing them two.  Benteke, i agree we didnt replace him, but that would have been very hard.

As for Benteke, Sherwood spent £15m of his 50m trying to replace him. if he's failed to do so then that's his fault.

I don't even think it is.  Benteke is a one-in-a-decade player for Villa.  We were never going to replace him like-for-like and, to be honest, if we tried to then that would be crazy.

Gestede and Ayew have promise about them but they aren't (and are never going to be) the same calibre as Benteke.  Gestede has shown he's more than capable of scoring goals and, hopefully, Ayew will become a decent player as he adapts.

I think the squad is incredibly promising.  We've got some great talent in there with a mix of decent experience too.

We may have spent £50m but we lost £50m of talent too. Obviously it varies with each situation but I think net spend is relevant here.

We lost two key players. 

Net spend is massively skewed when you get huge fees for one or two players. £32.5 million for one player means our low net spend this summer is very misleading.

Benteke was worth every penny of that to our squad.

• Like 1

That's just my thoughts, call it absurd if you wish Stevo but fact is we are relegation candidates as it stands so the 50m clearly didn't have the desired impact and for me it was just not enough to replace the entire spine of the team as well as strengthen the rest of the squad!

It may have have made us the 5th biggest spenders in Europe and maybe that is too much to ask for this club but that is what was required in my opinion to take a bunch of no hopers, remove all the best players and then expect them to actually improve on the previous 4 or 5 seasons with all the clubs around them also investing heavily! Obviously that didn't or couldn't happen...but that & questionable leadership at all levels is why we are where we are afterall!

It's still early days, well just about, so maybe we will start to improve especially when Traore starts playing which is for me our last hope other than a new manager coming in of course!

I'm not defending Sherwood at all and whether a different manager could have come in and done a much better job with the same set of circumstances i guess we'll never know.

• Like 1

Get Frank De Boer in, he'll teach the players how to play total football Ajax of the 90's Style.

We have already tried the Dutch style in 2011/12

Yes, but you need a dutchman as manager for it to work.

the way Netherlands play recently I think I would prefer Tim in charge ;)

That's just my thoughts, call it absurd if you wish Stevo but fact is we are relegation candidates as it stands so the 50m clearly didn't have the desired impact and for me it was just not enough to replace the entire spine of the team as well as strengthen the rest of the squad!

It may have have made us the 5th biggest spenders in Europe and maybe that is too much to ask for this club but that is what was required in my opinion to take a bunch of no hopers, remove all the best players and then expect them to actually improve on the previous 4 or 5 seasons with all the clubs around them also investing heavily! Obviously that didn't or couldn't happen...but that & questionable leadership at all levels is why we are where we are afterall!

It's still early days, well just about, so maybe we will start to improve especially when Traore starts playing which is for me our last hope other than a new manager coming in of course!

I'm not defending Sherwood at all and whether a different manager could have come in and done a much better job with the same set of circumstances i guess we'll never know.

It is monumentally simplistic to just say "should have spent more money and we wouldn't be in this mess." You could offer players all the money in the world, but if they don't want to come - they won't. 

Aston Villa has hardly been a glittering prospect for several seasons now and every manager has had to deal with this. IMO the "young and hungry" philosophy is partly born out of a realisation that we could not and would not attract players of the required standard from similar leagues..... its like the spotty 22 year old boy sniffing round 16 year old girls after school. No chance of getting a gf his own age so go for the ones who'd be flattered by the attention of an older, established lad. Ironically though, "young and hungry" is going to be the only way out. We can't compete with other clubs in terms of prospects for success. You'd have to be nuts to turn down West Ham, Stoke and that ilk to come to Villa if given the choice, and we don't have the money to over pay wages to level the playing field. 

Add this to a manager who is hugely questionable, both tactically and in terms of experience and you have yourself a perfect shit storm. They only thing the club CAN change at this point is to improve the management, planning and tactics on the pitch, and it is essential they do so, sooner rather than later. 

Sherwood Out. 

• Like 4

£50m is not enough to be better than Watford............really

• Like 1

Really. saying-yes-nodding-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Apparently not 

Edited by danceoftheshamen

The Mail are saying Sherwood needs more time

Warnock on Talkshite says Sherwood is "a good manager who has been dealt a bad hand"

Looks like Tim's media contacts are kicking in!

4 points from the last 30 is not good enough - it will soon be 4 from 33, 4 from 36

There is a 1% chance of him turning this around and a 99% that we will be in an enormous hole that a proper manager can't dig us out of

• Like 2

Apparently not 

For a proper manager £50m (plus Richards who would have cost £12-£15m if not on a Bosman) would have been plenty

The fact that we are not above WBA, Watford, Bournemouth, Norwich says little about the spend and all you need to know about Sherwood

We've got the players we just need a real manager to get the best from them

As for Benteke, Sherwood spent £15m of his 50m trying to replace him. if he's failed to do so then that's his fault.

I don't even think it is.  Benteke is a one-in-a-decade player for Villa.  We were never going to replace him like-for-like and, to be honest, if we tried to then that would be crazy.

Gestede and Ayew have promise about them but they aren't (and are never going to be) the same calibre as Benteke.  Gestede has shown he's more than capable of scoring goals and, hopefully, Ayew will become a decent player as he adapts.

I think the squad is incredibly promising.  We've got some great talent in there with a mix of decent experience too.

Yeah fair enough. You can't replace Benteke like for like. But I think we spent enough to compensate for him all round.

The Mail are saying Sherwood needs more time

Warnock on Talkshite says Sherwood is "a good manager who has been dealt a bad hand"

Looks like Tim's media contacts are kicking in!

4 points from the last 30 is not good enough - it will soon be 4 from 33, 4 from 36

There is a 1% chance of him turning this around and a 99% that we will be in an enormous hole that a proper manager can't dig us out of

Timmy C is the heir to 'Arry's  throne. 

A top football geezah who likes the sound of his own voice, always happy to talk and good for a quote. They'll look after him for as long as possible because its better than the alternative. 

If Klopp proves to be a big hit and starts a flame war with Jose, they'll soon get over Timmy and give him a good old fashioned back page shanking. 

• Like 1

It is absurd.

And we're relegation candidates right now because we're being badly managed. Sherwood actually bought well, imo. He's managing the team poorly.

• Like 2

Get Frank De Boer in, he'll teach the players how to play total football Ajax of the 90's Style.

Danny Blind is Dutch and will probably be available shortly, would you want him? ;)

Danny Blind is Dutch and will probably be available shortly, would you want him? ;)

Dick Advocaat is free :P

Overall the squad is better than it was last year. Just need someone to manage them properly.

Disagree with this. We have replaced Lowton with Crespo, Baker with Ilori, Vlaar with Richards, Senderos with Lescott,Delph with Gana, Cleverley with Veretout, Benteke with Gestede and Weimann with Ayew. I'm failing to see any level of improvement apart from Richards coming in.

• Like 1

Â