The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Interesting tactics review of Sherwood at Spurs 

http://www.spursfanatic.com/blog/5-consistent-tactical-errors-tim-sherwood/ 

I found this comment at the bottom very telling and sums up alot of my issues with him ,,lack of a clear plan.

Excellent analysis.

It just shows the essential differences between Villas-Boas and Sherwood.
Andre was wedded to his system & despite the problems found within it (lack of goals mainly) it was coherent & repeatable. Players had an idea of what was required from them within the system and were interchangeable. But for the clear off-field issues, I feel we would have found a solid future with him, but he went & his intransigence was to his detriment. (To my mind he went cos he wanted to and probably after he’d been pressured to change his ways).

Sherwood in contrast is a blend of good ideas that don’t make a whole.
I like the ‘central winger’ idea, and kudos to you for spotting it, but it’s not being utilised effectively. The high line is fine but with zero pressing, is insane.

Concentration levels throughout the squad seem lackadaisical, hence the repeated errors. Time and again the first half of matches has been abysmal thus requiring the classic rocket at half time to get them playing and the players just don’t seem to have bought Sherwood’s methods. Maybe they know he’s a lame duck coach and stopped caring, maybe they think he’s guessing his way along and haven’t bought into his ideas.

What is clear to me is that to have any potential to improve next season, we need a recognised coach with experience and a tactical system to employ. The squad is good enough and young enough to improve for it.

One of Villas Boas’ problems was cutting himself and the squad off from the rest of the club & wider media. In contrast, Sherwood does interviews all the time and makes ludicrous admissions like ‘I’ve not watched much of Liverpool.’ He seems to think he can just send the players out with belief and it’ll be enough. It’s not.

I was willing to give him a chance when he started but he’s made too many mistakes.

Thanks Tim, but no thanks.

exactly what I expected. Some Villa fans are now feeling foolish I think, after all the 'they are only Spurs fans what do they know' attitude in February. I listened to my Spurs friend and had my doubts over Tim.

Looks like Klopp to Liverpool ( i know we were never in for him) Big Sam looks like going to Sunderland. Teams struggling... acting swiftly to replace their manager.

We should be doing the same. We cant leave it any later...if Villa and Newcastle dont get rid of their managers soon it could be the end of both. Two massive clubs to go down in one season would be crazy.

• Like 1

We are football fans,  calling for the manager's head in times of poor results is what we do ,  there will always be a section of fans doing that.  However,  to have so many fans calling for his head so short into his reign and with so much vitriol it usually means the end is nigh.  I'm not sure how he can recover the fan base from that position.

Returned from injury and returning to fitness are two separate things. He was way off the pace.  Maybe you should look up Benteke's goal record under Lambert?? 

Well, okay then!

In 2012/2013, Benteke made 32 Premier League appearances and scored 19 goals. In 2013/2014, he made 24 appearances and scored 10 goals. In 2014/2015 he made 26 appearances and scored 13 goals. These are comparable to his record at Genk.

This Sherwood bought the best out of Beteke like he did Adebayor was a myth based on lazy journalism. Stay away from tabloids and learn the game. 

Believe me, I am in no way crediting Sherwood with doing anything special for Benteke - and, in fact, I have never once said such a thing, so I don't quite know where you got that from. What I object to is your assertion that "Lambert made Benteke," which is bollocks of the first order. Benteke's record under Lambert was, on average, no better and no worse than it had been in the season before he came to Villa. But anyway, thank you for being so patronising; I believe I'll be just fine without your reading advice.

I could pick 20 members of VILLA TALK to pick a proper side, set the team up right according to the opposition and make astute substitutions. 

Delegate all the training ground stuff and dressing room talk to Wilkins and Co.

Sorted.

And I'm serious.

yet amazingly not one member of Villatalk is a professional football manager never mind a successful one

*that we are aware of*

So what?

This idea that if you're not working as a professional manager then it's impossible for you to have a decent working knowledge of the game frustrates me. While it's not impossible to get into management with no footballing experience, the only big name I can think of that's done so is Villas-Boas. Football is an Old Boys club, where footballers are encouraged to go for their badges as soon as they retire and where it's both incredibly difficult and incredibly expensive to get employed if you weren't a pro player. It's like saying that if you're not working in a top Michelin-starred restaurant then you must be a shit cook.

The alternative is that the only people who could possibly have any good ideas about tactics are already employed as managers, which doesn't bode well for when they retire.

Edit - To clarify, I am certainly not pretending that I could do the job. I'm a born critic, inasmuch as I can't do anything well but I sure as hell know what I don't like.

my point was its easier to talk a good game from behind a keyboard. I see people coming on here saying they can motivate the players a lot better but I bet if Tim asked them to go in and talk to the players they would shit themselves before walking in the door

Fair enough; reading my post back I worry that it came across as a bit antagonistic, and that wasn't my intention.

But I do believe that when Sherwood does things one way and fans, pundits and journalists think he should have done it differently, it's more likely that he's wrong than everybody else. As Mike Pejic writes in the Stoke Sentinel: Tim Sherwood couldn't have got his tactics more wrong at Villa Park if he'd researched how to get a result against Stoke then said: "I'm going to [do] the opposite."

Edited by Villanun

Yeah so after those quotes I think I'm done with him. Has no idea what he's doing, and no clear philosophy (I know that term is overrated, but some semblance of one would be nice!). Picking the right team and formation is one of the biggest aspects of his job, and the fact that he has admitted that he's essentially winging it until he stumbles upon the right formation is enough to make me cut my losses with him and I hope the club do the same and soon before we get cut further adrift.

• Like 1

If Sherwood were going, he'd be gone by now I think.

Which sucks.

Nah, it's only Monday night still. If he's not out by Wednesday, he'll be here for the Chelsea match.

Usually if a sacking is a direct reaction to the weekend's game, it is announced by Monday. 

Well, let's see what happens. Somewhat telling that there has been total silence from Lerner and Fox, and no players have been rolled out to say anything in support of the manager.

Edited by maqroll

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~5048723,00.html

Tim Sherwood insists he can turn claret and blue fortunes around - as he searches for the "right ingredients" to get Villa winning again.

Villa have four points so far this season - following a win at Bournemouth and draw against Sunderland - and are in the lower reaches of the Barclays Premier League table.

Sherwood accepts it's frustrating for the fans to see his new-look side struggling to find form.

But he is immensely confident that he can start the side on an upward curve.

He said: "I understand 100% the frustration of the fans at the moment. When your team is not winning and you're not performing to the level what you expect then you're going to be very disappointed. I understand that.

"I won't insult their intelligence. They're coming here to have a day out with their families - they want to be entertained and watch their team win football matches.

"I am the manager and I take responsibility for the performances.

"But it's the same Tim Sherwood they were singing the name of last season. I am not working any less hard now.

"I can turn it around. I know I can - and I will.

"I am confident in my ability. The more I see of the boys - lack of effort is not the problem. They try.

"Now I have to find the right ingredients to put them on the pitch at the right time against the opposition we play and try and get a spark. I am still searching for that.

"At the moment it isn't there.

"I keep changing the systems and changing the formations in search of that. On Saturday against Stoke it wasn't there. We need to find it.

"I will be searching for the right formation and the right players to play in it.

"At the moment I think it's only right that I keep changing it because we're not finding the wins.

"I'd love to get that victory and keep with the same side for the next four or five weeks. Unfortunately I haven't got that luxury. I am still learning.

"But there are still so many points to be won. With back to back wins in this league it sends you up the table. I am confident we will be able to do that."

Interesting that the main site have gone with this. I don't think they'd put it up if they were going to sack him, though.

And to think he used to take little sly digs at "the previous regime" to make it seem like he knew better when he's really been winging it the whole time. At least Paul Lambert had a bit of pedigree with back to back promotions and a comfortable 12th place PL finish before he got the job. 

• Like 3

Looks like Klopp to Liverpool ( i know we were never in for him) Big Sam looks like going to Sunderland. Teams struggling... acting swiftly to replace their manager.

We should be doing the same. We cant leave it any later...if Villa and Newcastle dont get rid of their managers soon it could be the end of both. Two massive clubs to go down in one season would be crazy.

I'd say that both of these were pre-planned to coincide with the international break-Giving the respective new managers a week to work with the squads leading up to the next fixture. In Rogers case, I suspect his fate was sealed before they played us. A win and then a draw at Everton will not have caused him to lose his job-The damage was done beforehand.

It would be a rash decision to sack Sherwood on a whim but I do feel that its reaching crisis point. We are going into games expecting to lose-We all know that this is a very hard habit to break. Tim should be given time to turn it around but not so much time that sees us rooted to the bottom and isolated. There are some very good sides in this league and I struggle to see us being anything other than one of the worst 5 in there. It only takes 2 of those to have a decent run & we're down.

I'm especially worried about how poor the defence are performing as  a unit. They are all individually good players but don't inspire confidence when defending as a group. I also hope we never start with 3 at the back again-Especially at home.

• Like 2

I don't think that they will pull the trigger soon at all. IF they decided to get rid of Sherwood, I think it wouldn't be at least until he's had a third of the season. That means he will get around 5 more games. But, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they stuck by him through thick and thin. Meaning that, even if we were relegated, they would stick by him. 

I don't know why I am thinking that way but, with our board, it's hard to have any trust in them. 

• Like 1

We are football fans,  calling for the manager's head in times of poor results is what we do ,  there will always be a section of fans doing that.  However,  to have so many fans calling for his head so short into his reign and with so much vitriol it usually means the end is nigh.  I'm not sure how he can recover the fan base from that position.

What vitriol? Apart from a bit of name calling on a few message boards or social media there has been none. I am not sure how many games you attend but I have heard zero anti Sherwood chanting this season. I have heard the odd f**k off Sherwood shouted etc but I heard plenty of f**k off O’Neill, Gregory, Little, Atkinson etc etc during their times during rough patches.

Don’t get me wrong I am expecting a big back lash against him if we lose to Chelsea and then fail to beat Swansea. He hasn't gone past the point of no return though. If, and it is a big if, after say 18 games we are sitting on around 20 points then his prospects would look a lot different.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I'm clutching at straws here but maybe the deafening silence from the board is because they are negotiating his pay off and finalising the deal for his replacement.

Or more likely because Fox and Lerner have buried their heads in the sand.

• Like 2

According to Nick Mashiter he did get some flak from the fans at the end of the game. For me he shouldn't be given the Chelsea and Swansea game as it might be too late by then. The board should come under pressure if he is still here for the Chelsea game in my opinion.

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 2

Â