The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I am not sure where this impression comes from that he has lost most of the fans and that there is no way back for him. My feelings towards him are neutral in that I neither like or loathe him, I think he did well in the transfer window, has had a really poor start to the season and some of his decisions are baffling, but I also think it is early days to be making a judgement on if he should be sacked or not.

That is where I come from when  accessing his time here and what to do going forward but there is little doubt that a fair few of our fans never wanted him in the first place so with that in mind it was never going to take a lot for them to turn against him. I am not suggesting that 4 points from his first 8 games with his own squad should in any way be considered acceptable by the way.

Clearly the poll on here suggests that just under 80% of fans would like him out at the moment. However that doesn’t suggest that the majority think there is no way back for him. I don’t believe we have many fans who are that small minded that if over the next 10 games we mustered say 14 points that they would say ‘no after what happened at the start of the season I still want him gone’.

Up to this point at the games there has been no anti Sherwood chanting and I have heard nothing more than the odd bit of abuse shouted out in understandable frustration. That will change if results continue to be poor but I think most level headed supporters who haven’t got to the stage of foaming at the mouth in wanting him out know that there is zero chance of him being sacked now and that regardless of results, unless we are getting annihilated, then that situation is unlikely to change for at least another 2-3 games.

I don't think anybody is saying there is no way back if we got, say, 14 points out of the next 10 games.

What i think people are saying is there is absolutely no way we'll be amassing that sort of points total, therefore there is no way back.

• Like 1

If we get a few wins it'll just be papering over the cracks, It won't make Sherwood a good manager all of a sudden.

I wouldn't care, if I'm honest.  I don't need a manager to "be good" if he's created a team that wins games.

Results are, for the most part, all that matters.  An attractive style of play is just a bonus.

I meant if we get a few results in the next four or five games. It's not something that I think we'd maintain with Sherwood charge. If he created a team that wins games in general, then he'd be the very definition of  good manager, but I don't think that's going to happen somehow.

Sadly and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Still, tactics knows he can turn it around and still has 24 saved formations on FM to try out so I'm sure it will be fine.

Its remarkable how quickly he has lost the fans, I just can't see a way back for him.

Even an improvement in results isn't going to change the perception of him that he creates every time he speaks.

There's definitely a way back for him. All he needs a couple of wins that bring us back into the mid-table pack and everything could and will look very different. If we were to somehow win 2 of the next 3 games for example, the pressure would ease significantly.

Its not great at the moment - but he's certainly not beyond redemption yet.

True perhaps buy starting to seem utterly unlikely. 

I think we've got a squad that should be challenging for midtable at least and Sherwood is vastly under-performing with it.

Really?? I think it's awful. Gana,Veretout,Gardner and Westwood is a very very poor midfield choice

• Like 1

I think we've got a squad that should be challenging for midtable at least and Sherwood is vastly under-performing with it.

Really?? I think it's awful. Gana,Veretout,Gardner and Westwood is a very very poor midfield choice

I think all of those players would perform well in a better organized midfield. Does Norwich's midfield water your mouth for one?

• Like 1

Is he still here?

Came to post the exact same...What is the point of waiting any longer - dead man walking.

Logically, none. I agree. But I believe in the dignity of a deliberate process, and it's only been eight weeks. There's an issue of fairness and image, too. I want Villa to be a club that gives a manager a square chance. A third of the season strikes me as fair (think of how crazy even that sounds, out of context -- "well, you get eight weeks and if you don't win, you're gone."). Others will disagree with me, infuriated that we let this man tinker his way to relegation, but even if he loses the next three games, a decent manager, I believe, will be able to turn things around with the full confidence that the owner and board and fans aren't going to run him out of town after his first losing streak. Do we really want to bring someone new in under those conditions?

We need to seem stable, like a great place to work and build something new. We have an illustrious history. I don't want us to treat Sherwood like ... Sherwood would.

I have zero desire to the club dig itself deeper into the hole, but there's something to be said in sacking someone properly.

I hope we're looking for a replacement. If there's a miracle, OK, let him stay -- but the comments he made yesterday in the press make it sound like any success will be pure football roulette. 

Edited by Plastic Man

I think all of those players would perform well in a better organized midfield. Does Norwich's midfield water your mouth for one?

Tettey, Mulumbu, Howson, Dorrans, Hoolahan is not much different to our options

Yet they're performing much better. Which I think was the point.

• Like 1

Yet they're 12th with 9 points with fixtures of a similar difficulty.

Which refutes your original point.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Stevo

Edited by StefanAVFC

also missed off bacuna, richardson and sanchez

i dont think anyone would suggest we would be able to make a top ten midfield 3 any time soon but from those 7 we cant get a midfield 3 that cant outplay a stoke midfield 2 of adam and whelan? not having that

• Like 2

Yet they're performing much better. Which I think was the point.

square on.

It suits your argument, so you would think that.

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing "very poor" about that midfield. 

• Like 2

Well yeah, he wouldn't make the arguement if he didn't.

What kind of bizarre logic is that, "you're only making the argument you are because of things you believe". 

Â