The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I do think if it wasn't for the toxic cocktail of managers and other idiots running the club in the last 5 years that our patience wouldn't be at such a critically low end with Sherwood.

Logic dictates that we should give him more time and he probably deserves it, there are as many potential signs of 'hope and promise' amongst the new players in the squad as there are signs of 'awful tactics and continued demise' but the former isn't bringing us points!

Also articles like this from probably bitter Spurs idiots kinda make me actually want to defend Tim: 

http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/desperate-times-call-for-tim-sherwood?

Why No Premier League Club Should Even Consider Hiring Tim Sherwood as Their Manager

Raj Bains | September 29, 2015 | 45 Comments

As featured on NewsNow: Football newsFootball News 24/7   facebook
Back in February, uMAXit’s Raj Bains, had this to say about Tim Sherwood …

Over the past few months, some clubs have been in the heartbreakingly sad situation of considering Tim Sherwood as a candidate to take over as their manager. 

Edited by VillanousOne

well we arent technically in that position,  we made a similar slow start under DOL in his 1st season and ended up finishing 6th think we had 2 wins up to start of December

think people need have a bit of patience

Except that the manager has publicly accepted that we are and we'll have to wait until next season to see any significant progress. 

Yep

Him writing this season off in September ranks up there among the most disgraceful things I've ever heard from an Aston Villa manager. He's embarrassing. 

You know when it starts falling apart an the boos start ringing out at VP, he won't think twice about blaming us fans. He comes across as the sort of person that will never blame himself.

• Like 2

well we arent technically in that position,  we made a similar slow start under DOL in his 1st season and ended up finishing 6th think we had 2 wins up to start of December

think people need have a bit of patience

Except that the manager has publicly accepted that we are and we'll have to wait until next season to see any significant progress. 

Yep

Him writing this season off in September ranks up there among the most disgraceful things I've ever heard from an Aston Villa manager. He's embarrassing. 

I'm not defending everything Sherwood says - there are certainly times I wish he'd keep his mouth shut - but this seems like a situation he can't win. If he says "We won't be in trouble" then the moment it seems like we might be, people are jumping on him calling him a liar. If he says "We might be in trouble" then he gets accused of giving up.

Honestly, there were a good number of people, myself included, who looked at the team going into this season and predicted that this would probably be another difficult year. What some see as defeatism I see as realism. So what should Sherwood do? Always predict big things? Or just not mention the subject of relegation at all until it becomes more of a likelihood? Genuine question.

• Like 1

I think the bottom line here with Sherwood is that with all the activity in the transfer market this summer and convincing the talent(that's right talent) we have brought in to come and play in the claret and blue he needs to be more accommodating in integrating them into the team.

I as most have been pretty chuffed with the majority of the signings as I believe the likes of Richards, Traore, Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew and Gestede are an upgrade on what we already had. If Sherwood doesn't start to at least give game time to Veretout, and Ayew there is a real possibility of him damaging their confidence massively and affecting the squad as a whole- If not already. 

Whether against lower league teams or not leaving players out after good performances doesn't send the right message to your squad and in the cases of both Veretout and Ayew neither will ever be ready unless they play, it's that simple, and added to the fact that match fitness and peak performance levels will bring out the best in players it's bloody stupid to continually give fragmented game time to players requiring just that. 

Carles Gil for example has been superb for us for a high percentage of his time since joining the club, and added a dimension that was serverely lacking last season and has continued in the same way this season yet has had to sit out the last 2 games on the bench?! It's incredibly naive to believe he couldn't of added something to out attack last Saturday.

Personally I think Sherwood needs to find his nuts and show faith with the players we know are good and those brought in before he f**** it up completely and his managerial career in the process. I was very unsure as to whether he would be right for us but after last season and keeping us up(Although I did say under Lambert our squad was better than the results suggested) he deserved the benefit of the doubt. However I think he is undoing himself with silly decisions especially the subs he is making at times which are baffling if I'm honest. He does though imo deserve time to turn things around however shit that may be for some to take onboard. 

Moyes or Allardyce 

Moysie? Ummmm, no thanks.

THINGS AREN’T GOING well for David Moyes in Spain. At the weekend, his Real Sociedad side drew 0-0 in the Basque derby with Athletic Club and they sit in 12th place in the La Liga table.

Allardyce? I'll take a pass on that sauce, too

Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Preston North End[103] England 30 September 1992 30 November 1992 12 3 4 5 25.00
Blackpool England 19 July 1994 29 May 1996 102 44 23 35 43.14
Notts County England 16 January 1997 14 October 1999 145 56 39 50 38.62
Bolton Wanderers England 19 October 1999 29 April 2007 371 153 104 114 41.24
Newcastle United England 15 May 2007 9 January 2008 24 8 6 10 33.33
Blackburn Rovers England 17 December 2008 13 December 2010 86 30 23 33 34.88
West Ham United England 1 June 2011 24 May 2015 181 68 46 67 37.57
Total 921 362 245 314 39.31

Any more names?

Edited by Plastic Man

I think we would be a laughing stock if we parted company with Sherwood  seven games into the season. He had earned his chance and we do need to give players time to settle. I think we should judge him at Christmas. Added to that I will pose the question I always do in this situation.....who would we replace him with?

My concern with Sherwood is his apparent tactical ineptitude and frankly suicidal substitutions in games coupled with his struggle to settle on a formation or starting eleven. I know that sounds totally contrary to my view that we should keep him but we all knew we had recruited a very inexperienced manager who would need time to develop in the role. The challenge is can he be the manager that we want and need?

Please not this again. Proof is there is always someone willng to take on the job, especially now with the sky money coming into UK football. Also Villa manager has never been the worst paid in the Premier League

Its a fair question to pose though particularly to those who want rid of Sherwood. Yes we can get a manager but what we actually need is the right manager. Sky money or not given our owner and current malaise I personally don't see us as a particularly attractive option for lots of good managers out there.

He's far more likeable than Lambert

Is he ****.

His football was more likeable than Lambert's (last season)

But as a person? Not a chance. he's a tit.

(I feel like I need to put a caveat on all my posts in here. I don't want him sacked yet. I think he deserves time to show he can turn it around. But I don't have much confidence that he will)

With the squad we've just built I think we'd be quite an attractive proposition for quite a few managers.

Two ropey goalkeepers, iffy right backs, iffy centre backs, lightweight midfield with two players new to the league, unproven premier league strike force and no real money and a ground that cant be filled regularly. I wouldn't jump at it to be honest

I think we would be a laughing stock if we parted company with Sherwood  seven games into the season. He had earned his chance and we do need to give players time to settle. I think we should judge him at Christmas. Added to that I will pose the question I always do in this situation.....who would we replace him with?

Allardyce for the remainder of this season and next season.
That should hopefully see us into midtable.

Use our improved position to then recruit somebody better.

If Sherwood goes, we shouldn't be trying to employ a manager to be here for 20 years and win us the league. it won't happen. We should be recruiting a manager to push us a step forward and establish us there. Then move him on before the team gets stale and starts moving backwards.

We're always desperate to recruit a long term, perfect manager. The truth is, any proven managers of that calibre won't come here, which means to get that man we have to take a huge gamble. Sure there's a small chance that will pay off, but in reality we'll just end up in the same position we're in now.

• Like 1

Moyes or Allardyce 

Moysie? Ummmm, no thanks.

THINGS AREN’T GOING well for David Moyes in Spain. At the weekend, his Real Sociedad side drew 0-0 in the Basque derby with Athletic Club and they sit in 12th place in the La Liga table.

Allardyce? I'll take a pass on that sauce, too

Team Nat From To Record
G W D L Win %
Preston North End[103] England 30 September 1992 30 November 1992 12 3 4 5 25.00
Blackpool England 19 July 1994 29 May 1996 102 44 23 35 43.14
Notts County England 16 January 1997 14 October 1999 145 56 39 50 38.62
Bolton Wanderers England 19 October 1999 29 April 2007 371 153 104 114 41.24
Newcastle United England 15 May 2007 9 January 2008 24 8 6 10 33.33
Blackburn Rovers England 17 December 2008 13 December 2010 86 30 23 33 34.88
West Ham United England 1 June 2011 24 May 2015 181 68 46 67 37.57
Total 921 362 245 314 39.31

Any more names?

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

• Like 1

We lost our 2 best players as I think we are all aware and signed 13 in the process. Apart from up front we are a better squad of players even though we are scoring more! If we beat Stoke we will be averaging a point a game which for me until Xmas is fine as its a lot of players to get used to each other. If we start falling badly behind that I'll get worried but I do believe we will be there or there abouts and then kick on. We deserved more points against United Sunderland and Leicester even just getting 3 extra points from those I'm sure people wouldn't be over reacting as much.  

• Like 1

I dont think he will be sacked by Fox as it would put him under pressure for taking him on in the first place.  Mark my words we will be relegated under him.  I hope come the end of the season people will be responding to this post and telling me i am a Sh1t stirrer and i know nothing because we stayed up.  Thats not my intentions - all i want is the best for my club and imo he is way out of his depth.  In last 9 prem games this is our record.  Against these teams is that not proof enough that we are only going one way.  Take utd out of it and we should be min getting 3 wins and the odd draw.

Since 16th May in league

Southampton v Aston Villa   6 - 1.    Lost 

Aston Villa   V Burnely.         0 - 1.    Lost

Bournmouth v Aston Villa.     0 - 1.   Win

Aston Villa v Man utd.            0 - 1.   Lost

Crystal P v Aston Villa.           2 - 1.   Lost

Aston Villa v Sunderland.      2 - 2.     Draw

Lecister v Aston Villa.            3 - 2.    Lost

Aston Villa v West Brom.       0 - 1.     Lost

Liverpool v Aston Villa.          3 - 2.     Lost

• Like 3

Â