The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I just give thanks to Lambert for saving us from relegation getting us through the early rounds of the FA cup and blessing us with some really good players. 

"Thanks" animated-meme-lol-smiley-emoticon.gif

Classic Useless

Edited by Xela

I'm interested to see what Sherwood's transfer targets will be in the summer. Having never purchased a player before I wonder what he goes for? He does seem to promote youth heavily so maybe some of the 'young and hungry' players from the lower leagues? It'll be like the cycle starting again!  :)

Although perceptions of Petrov changed after his illness (which is understandable) I think it's more of a case that he was just really underrated throughout most of his time here. He did a similar job to what Westwood does now (but better) and it wasn't until his final season that he was pushed further forward and started scoring all those screamers. It's no coincidence that we always used to fall to pieces when he wasn't there.

• Like 2

Except he wrote off most of the debt, didn't he? 

I doubt it would have been most, and when you factor in the cost price to buy aston villa vs the proposed "for sale" price he'll be making sure he's not left too out of pocket...

I really despise the way this man has gone about everything from start to finish, of course the early spend at the time I wasn't grumbling about but in hindsight that has been costly for aston villa.  This man has paid to delist the club, now accountable to absolutely no-body and after an influx of cash has dripped the club dry over the following years.  To me it has all the earmark of only ever seeing the club as a financial venture, that backfired and now we've had to pay.  For all his sins, the guy could leave the club having sold it for more than twice the price of what he paid for it if we manage to stay up.

If Tim is successful this season, then long may it continue...but for that then this idiot needs to be gone.

Is he though?

If he hadn't developed cancer he'd be an above average midfielder who did fairly well. He was a massively devisive figure whilst he was playing.

He's not a club legend - cult hero would be a better description.

Spot on.

As you make reference to, he actually used to split opinion quite considerably and I have to say that I don't remember him ever being described as a 'legend' until he got leukemia. There has been a lot of revisionism since.

Obviously though, he is a top bloke and the fan response to his illness remains a source of great pride for the club.

He has a difficult first season when O'Neill mostly played him out of position. After that, he was the mainstay of the side that finished 6th 3 times running, and who allowed the likes of Young, Downing and Milner to flourish. If not quite a legend in playing terms, then certainly one of the very best central midfielders we've had in recent times.

In any case, great call from Sherwood, who has been an absolute breath of fresh air after the dismal and moribund charlatan that was Paul Lambert.

I'm not so sure petrov would want to lead the team out. Not that he wouldn't want the experience, but I can imagine him saying Delph deserves the honour. No reason he can't be involved, but he doesn't seem one to love the spotlight.

I'd be surprised if they said that's what they want to do if they hadn't checked with him first.

I don't even think he's put any money into the club, he's loaned the club money - loans have to be paid back.

As Lexicon says below, he converted half of the debt into share capital.

Te impression I got from reading a quote somewhere was sherwood was asked if he'd considered it, and he said it sounded a good idea. I don't think sherwood actually brought it up himself, or had even really thought about it.

Petrov was a fantastic footballer and extremely underrated but I wouldn't call him a footballing legend in terms of his performances on the pitch. Not that that matters in relation to him leading the team out at Wembly, if that's what's going to happen. Sounds like a thoughtful idea from Sherwood.

Edited by useless

I always loved petrov, thought he was our engine and we were better with him on the pitch.  He would always do the shit work that nobody else wants to, the thankless job that many fans didn't seem to appreciate at the time but realised it when he was gone.

Nice of Tim to show him some appreciation with this.  Seems to make all the right noises doesn't he, he was the most worrying appointment for me personally but if he keeps going like he does then awesome sauce.

Except he wrote off most of the debt, didn't he? 

I doubt it would have been most, and when you factor in the cost price to buy aston villa vs the proposed "for sale" price he'll be making sure he's not left too out of pocket...

I really despise the way this man has gone about everything from start to finish, of course the early spend at the time I wasn't grumbling about but in hindsight that has been costly for aston villa.  This man has paid to delist the club, now accountable to absolutely no-body and after an influx of cash has dripped the club dry over the following years.  To me it has all the earmark of only ever seeing the club as a financial venture, that backfired and now we've had to pay.  For all his sins, the guy could leave the club having sold it for more than twice the price of what he paid for it if we manage to stay up.

I'm no fan of Lerner at all, but you really are talking rubbish.  You have to factor in the price of what he paid for the club and all the money he has spent since.  Even if he did get double what he paid it for it, he'd still be massively out of pocket.

Â