The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I still think things have to potential to go pretty calamitously wrong under Sherwood somewhere down the line; he's never had to build a squad and seems the type who could end up pissing off the whole dressing room. When he came in I thought he would be a good choice to get us motivated and attacking to keep us up this season, and I must say I've been very impressed with him so far. The extra media coverage we've been in receipt of is just bizarre - I read three different articles about Gabby last week! Nice to be treated like one of the big clubs in the league, because that is exactly what we are. Well done to Tim for injecting some much needed life into this football club, and while I'm not yet convinced that he's the right man long term, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong - more weeks like the one just passed and I'm sure many will be converted

Apparently he may let Petrov lead the team out at Wembley - how amazing would that be?

Read this, this morning. Best thing I've heard come out of the club for years. Would bring a tear to my eye. Proper club legend.

Is he though?

If he hadn't developed cancer he'd be an above average midfielder who did fairly well. He was a massively devisive figure whilst he was playing.

He's not a club legend - cult hero would be a better description.

• Like 3

I still think things have to potential to go pretty calamitously wrong under Sherwood somewhere down the line; he's never had to build a squad and seems the type who could end up pissing off the whole dressing room. When he came in I thought he would be a good choice to get us motivated and attacking to keep us up this season, and I must say I've been very impressed with him so far. The extra media coverage we've been in receipt of is just bizarre - I read three different articles about Gabby last week! Nice to be treated like one of the big clubs in the league, because that is exactly what we are. Well done to Tim for injecting some much needed life into this football club, and while I'm not yet convinced that he's the right man long term, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong - more weeks like the one just passed and I'm sure many will be converted

I think he will turn out to be a real gem of a manager, he seems popular with the media and the players. He may be full of himself but I think thats a good thing and his half time bollocking and flip chart throwing seemed to do the trick nicely!

I think he will turn out to be a real gem of a manager, he seems popular with the media and the players. He may be full of himself but I think thats a good thing and his half time bollocking and flip chart throwing seemed to do the trick nicely!

It did, although you have to pick your moments with that sort of thing. Start doing it all the time and it'll lose it's affect pretty quickly. 

Edited by PatrickCousens

Is he though?

If he hadn't developed cancer he'd be an above average midfielder who did fairly well. He was a massively devisive figure whilst he was playing.

Spot on.

As you make reference to, he actually used to split opinion quite considerably and I have to say that I don't remember him ever being described as a 'legend' until he got leukemia. There has been a lot of revisionism since.

Obviously though, he is a top bloke and the fan response to his illness remains a source of great pride for the club.

• Like 3

It did, although you have to pick your moments with that sort of thing. Start doing it all the time and it'll lose it's affect pretty quickly. 

Indeed, but I like to think that he knows this and is able to switch things up. Also, if we've performed well in the first half there's no need for a bollocking is there? :D

I actually think he was a very good player for us apart from his first year.  Not a legend because of his football for us but more so for his leadership when we were struggling.  He was the only one that I can remember standing up and being counted when we were woeful. 

I, of course, mean legend not in the "He slept with 8 women and then went out to single handedly win us the treble" way. I mean it in the literal sense..

He will be remembered as the man who dedicated himself to the club, before and after Leukemia, and was a fan favourite, despite being average on the pitch. For me, that grants him legend status.

Edited by Sam3773

Here's hoping! I must say that finally having a manager who can change things over the course of a game and doesn't wait until the 80th minute to bring on his first sub has been a breath of fresh air. We were woeful in that first half, but the difference in the second was like night and day - Lambert would never have got that reaction from the players, if we were going in 1-0 down at HT it would seem pretty likely we would then go on to lose the game. Full credit to Sherwood, but I do worry about his volatile personality in the long run.

I'm exactly the same and I'm sure we aren't the only ones, whilst he isn't as divisive as di canio at sunderland you could draw parallels between the situations between Sherwood and us and how it soon went south at sunderland for di canio

Of course, di canio was a raging bell end, I remember reading about how the sunderlands players and fans loved hes no nonsense attitude at the start but got tiresome once results went wrong, and Sherwood has shown he will have an outburst when things dont go his way.

I love the fact he has made me feel positive about us, for the first time since 2009 its nice to watch a press conference and have the manager telling us we have to think big instead of the last 3 managers putting us down.

How long it'll last? Who knows

I'm not so sure he's volatile, I just think he's incredibly passionate and has a real hunger to win. That much was obvious in his playing days.

We've needed someone with that sort of passion for the longest time now. I wasn't bowled over by his appointment but I think he's started well and he's definitely something new. We see his passionate side on the touchline but that article that was posted a few days ago showed he's not totally one-dimensional and he knows when to give a good arse-kicking and when to put his arm around a player and encourage them.

I like what I've seen so far and I never felt that way under Lambert. I didn't want him in the first place admittedly, but he did nothing to convince me otherwise. I can't say the same about Sherwood though and I'm happy to get behind him fully and see what he can do.

Edited by Ginko

I'm not so sure he's volatile, I just think he's incredibly passionate and has a real hunger to win. That much was obvious in his playing days.

I agree, he is passionate and unable to control himself at times. Sherwood has even said this himself and said it's how he is and that he isn't going to change. You can see it wear off on the players too, I like him a lot and have a much better feeling than when we appointed Lambert. I was against that from the offset but was in a minority

Is he though?

Spot on.

As you make reference to, he actually used to split opinion quite considerably and I have to say that I don't remember him ever being described as a 'legend' until he got leukemia. There has been a lot of revisionism since.

Obviously though, he is a top bloke and the fan response to his illness remains a source of great pride for the club.

He has a difficult first season when O'Neill mostly played him out of position.  After that, he was the mainstay of the side that finished 6th 3 times running, and who allowed the likes of Young, Downing and Milner to flourish.  If not quite a legend in playing terms, then certainly one of the very best central midfielders we've had in recent times.

In any case, great call from Sherwood, who has been an absolute breath of fresh air after the dismal and moribund charlatan that was Paul Lambert.

Lerner is a parasite

Steady on. He might be a misguided fool at times, and he might not have earned his money himself, but he has spent a lot of it on our club.

The day he breaks even and continues to draw money out of the club he's a parasite (unless we're PL and European champions, of course), but right now he's just the owner who's halfheartedly looking to sell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a parasite sucks the life out of it's victims...right?  There you go.

I don't even think he's put any money into the club, he's loaned the club money - loans have to be paid back.

Is he though?

Spot on.

He has a difficult first season when O'Neill mostly played him out of position. After that, he was the mainstay of the side that finished 6th 3 times running, and who allowed the likes of Young, Downing and Milner to flourish. If not quite a legend in playing terms, then certainly one of the very best central midfielders we've had in recent times.

In any case, great call from Sherwood, who has been an absolute breath of fresh air after the dismal and moribund charlatan that was Paul Lambert.

I'm not so sure petrov would want to lead the team out. Not that he wouldn't want the experience, but I can imagine him saying Delph deserves the honour. No reason he can't be involved, but he doesn't seem one to love the spotlight.

Is he though?

Spot on.

He has a difficult first season when O'Neill mostly played him out of position. After that, he was the mainstay of the side that finished 6th 3 times running, and who allowed the likes of Young, Downing and Milner to flourish. If not quite a legend in playing terms, then certainly one of the very best central midfielders we've had in recent times.

I'm not so sure petrov would want to lead the team out. Not that he wouldn't want the experience, but I can imagine him saying Delph deserves the honour. No reason he can't be involved, but he doesn't seem one to love the spotlight.

I'd be surprised if they said that's what they want to do if they hadn't checked with him first.

I don't even think he's put any money into the club, he's loaned the club money - loans have to be paid back.

As Lexicon says below, he converted half of the debt into share capital.

Â