The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

We were much better than we have been in previous weeks

I honestly don't think we were
Yep agree. We looked unbelievably bad. There are players in that team who struggle to control a football.

Whereas before we had the ball and looked devoid of ideas now we didn't have the ball and had an idea that never looked like working

• Like 2

I think the problem that this club has is the dropping off after scoring a goal.

It has been a problem under many managers/turnover of players.

Not sure why but this mentality has certainly cost us points over the years.

Don't think we have ever "killed" off a game properly.

So true, we've never really ever killed off games in my time as a fan.

Only the top teams in the league can really do that most of the time though, but by all means we could try and do it. Only problem being if we are trying to kill a game off we have more players going forward leaving us even more vulnerable at the back.

As someone said earlier, it's little things, moment or luck that can ultimately decide again.

Someone also said that's us down because of today's defeat as we needed something from the game, but I don't believe defeat today has us relegated. Plenty to play for. Up The Villa!

I thought we looked ok, given a few weeks not days and I'm sure Tim will turn things around. Lambert left a good squad devoid of any confidence.

I honestly believe we will stay up, keep the faith guys (and get the prayer mats out)

• Like 3

It's definitely going to take time for Sherwood to turn this around and without having a transfer window available between now and the end of the season he needs to get to know the players he does have quickly. There were some bizarre decisions from him today, namely Weimann on the wing, leaving Gabby on and not recognising that Stoke were overrunning us in the midfield. To me that is tactical naivety, I honestly thought we'd seen the last of Andi out wide. There also needs to be more variety to our play rather than just lumping it up to Benteke and hoping it sticks. 

The term 'Must Win' gets thrown around a lot and today wasn't a must win, more of a must not lose game but with a part time Newcastle team next it now becomes even more vital.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Heres been here precisley 1 week - and is quite 'new' to management in general - Its going to take him a while to get to grips with things, define his own management style, and decide how he wants us to play. Delph and Sanchez IMO aren't going to make a good pairing Sanchez gives the ball away far to often - and of late Delph has been has bad. Thought TS got that one wrong today.

We committed more men forward and there was more energy about our play - unfortunately we didn't really seem to know what were doing, there was no pattern of play. Set pieces were very poor today.  

The term 'Must Win' gets thrown around a lot and today wasn't a must win, more of a must not lose game

Yep.  "Must win" and "Need to win" have become conflated in today's football chit-chat (can we blame Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer, please?).

• Like 1

Fair enough. I thought we showed attacking intent in the first half, and would have been 1-0 at half-time if Vlaar could be arsed or the linesman had opened his eyes to the foul throw that was taken right in front of him.

That goal wiped out all confidence and it didn't return in the second half.

We were crap in the second half. 

They are done in confidence wise but there are a number of good premier league players in our starting eleven and I believe a couple of goals and one win could turn us around here! We all need to get behind the team from no to the end of the season.

To be fair to Sherwood the quality is just not there.

The quality of the ball into the box is poor, the quality of replacements is poor, the quality of play is poor.

I still believe we have some good players.We need to play our best players in their best positions,Get Gil in better positions, probably play Sinclair off CB, and bring in Bacuna alongside Delph and Sanchez,We need to be out of the bottom 3 within the next 4 games, we should have had one today, we need to go undefeated in the next 2 or 3 games, and if that means defensive, then so be it.

Fair enough. I thought we showed attacking intent in the first half, and would have been 1-0 at half-time if Vlaar could be arsed or the linesman had opened his eyes to the foul throw that was taken right in front of him.

That goal wiped out all confidence and it didn't return in the second half.

We were crap in the second half.

Don't know about the foul throw but it did look like the ball over the top had looped out to me

Well, Newcastle are currently getting taken apart by City, so they'll be looking to wipe-out the pain of that at St. James' next week.  If a win could somehow be fashioned there, it would really give Sherwood a kernel of something to build from.

To be fair to Sherwood the quality is just not there.

The quality of the ball into the box is poor, the quality of replacements is poor, the quality of play is poor.

I still believe we have some good players.We need to play our best players in their best positions,Get Gil in better positions, probably play Sinclair off CB, and bring in Bacuna alongside Delph and Sanchez,We need to be out of the bottom 3 within the next 4 games, we should have had one today, we need to go undefeated in the next 2 or 3 games, and if that means defensive, then so be it.

There was one instance second half when Cissokho got down the line and crossed a decent ball towards the near post. There were about 4 Villa players between the penalty spot and the goal without one of them considering to make a run to the near post.

Our forwards make really poor decisions!!

The draw would have given some confidence. Absolutely lost it at the end. A "fan" was just constantly swearing and abusing players for about 3 minutes, so turned around and said you've made your point now shut the ... up. Can't see how that is going to help the manager or the players. Sherwood needs our full backing even when things aren't going right, theres now only 12 left! I do think we will get relegated after today, on the basis half of Stokes team were injured today and we didn't create too much. BUT everyone needs to stick together, especially for Sherwood. Next week is massive. 

Heres been here precisley 1 week - and is quite 'new' to management in general - Its going to take him a while to get to grips with things, define his own management style, and decide how he wants us to play.

That's the problem though, define a while? He's got 12 games and needs to win a minimum of 5.

Inexperienced manager makes rookie mistakes which leads to a woeful display from his team, bad starting line up, bad subs and bad tactics. He takes the blame for that.

What a surprise.
What's the surprise? I'm lost :(
I could have predicted a few names who would come and be extra critical of Sherwood straight after.
Ah right. I think it's fair enough to be critical of Sherwood and the players. It's not a "SHERWOOD OUT!" campaign :D

I actually think his starting line-up etc was fine. We were being more attacking. The Gil substitution was just wrong - well, in terms of bringing on Weimann. Should've been Westwood or someone who could hold the ball in midfield. For me, that's the only major thing that was wrong, but it was a sizeable error. Stoke completely dominated after that.

I think criticism is fine but like I said you could guess who'd come and put the boot in as soon as they could.
That's a bit rich isn't it?
Right because criticising Lambert after giving him time in his sizeable tenure is the clearly the same as immediately jumping on a new managers back?
I didn't say it was the same.

I have no problem with people who criticised Lambert. It was justified.

But someone who was always one of the first to stick the boot into Lambert moaning about some people being the first to stick the boot into Sherwood is a bit rich.

Personally I think it's too early to make any judgement. But he needs to get us winning soon.

We're in deep shit.

• Like 2

It is going to take a while to change the attitude of negative football that has been surrounding the club for the last 3-4 years. I can't deny I am gutted about the result today though. I thought the new manager bounce and the positive press we have had this week would have spurred us on to 3 points

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that we are just shit. The old 'Lambert left a good squad' or 'The players are better their position in the league shows' view that many of us (including me) have pushed may have just been wishful thinking on our behalf. We are abysmal, aren't we? 

• Like 2

We were playing the anti football club with the ghost of Pullis

No way was Gill or Sanchez going to be effective today so neither should have started

I guess the problem is that we didn't have a lot else but hopefully Sherwood will learn by the summer what his team will be to get us out the championship

Edited by tonyh29

Â