Carles Gil

bose

Is it possible...and I'm just throwing ideas out there...that despite a few good performances he actually isn't that good? You know how some players burst onto the scene looking like world beaters then fade away as everyone slowly realises they're actually pants? Carlton Cole was meant to be the best striker in the world, Jermain Pennant a future England regular. Luke Moore was "10x better than Gabby". Marlon bloody Harewood was the next Drogba after his first season and 6 months of phenomenal performances for Newcastle got Carroll a £35million move to Liverpool...so maybe he's actually crap, and Sherwood just figured that out before anyone else did...or maybe he will play next season without that constant threat of relegation looming?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it might not necessarily be a nailed on "he's the best player we have and it's obviously a personal thing between him and TS" thing

Depends who we get to replace him, what if they're not as good as Gil was in his brief cameos, Sherwood won't freeze that player out as it was his signing....we'll have the same bottom half season if it's just going to be Gabby/Nzogbia playing again in that role next season.

We have a decent playmaker already at the club, he really should be playing from time to time. Disappointing and let's see if Sherwood comes up with better. 

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but he really could just be injured.  As I said a while ago, he was withdrawn from an U21 match because of injury and hasn't played since, but all the precious little fannies on here are convinced it's because nasty Tim Sherwood is bullying poor Carles.

• Like 1

This really pisses me off :lol:

Poor Carles. Possibly the most mindboggling treatment of a player I can remember.

Maybe you weren't a Villa fan in the days of Berson? O'Leary spent nearly the whole summer of 2004 fighting tooth and nail to sign him, then barely played him.

Wasn't there a quote from one of our players that "nobody can get the ball off [Gil] in training"?

Not playing Gil at all is just such a completely dumb thing to do that I'm "Sherwood out" unless he wins the FA cup. Naturally if he DOES win the FA cup then I'm "Sherwood is a god". :)

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but he really could just be injured.  As I said a while ago, he was withdrawn from an U21 match because of injury and hasn't played since, but all the precious little fannies on here are convinced it's because nasty Tim Sherwood is bullying poor Carles.

If this proved to be the case I'd be relieved and surprised in equal measure.

This whole Gil obsession is one of the weirdest things I have seen in my time as a Villatalker.

We win a match? Gil is soon top of the topic list with people asking why he wasn't playing.

We lose a match? Gil rises to the top again. Same question again but more licence to question the sanity/integrity/competence of the manager.

All of this for a player who played in 5 league matches, all of which we lost, and scored a goal against Bournemouth's 2nd XI.

Crazy stuff.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

This whole Gil obsession is one of the weirdest things I have seen in my time as a Villatalker.

We win a match? Gil is soon top of the topic list with people asking why he wasn't playing.

We lose a match? Gil rises to the top again. Same question again but more licence to question the sanity/integrity/competence of the manager.

All of this for a player who played in 5 league matches, all of which we lost, and scored a goal against Bournemouth's 2nd XI.

Crazy stuff.

Most posts are asking why he's not in the squad, rather than 'why isn't he playing' apart from today as it was the perfect game for him to be a part of.

But you already know that.

As previously pointed out to you, if you hate the topic so much, why do you keep posting in it?

• Like 2

I don't know about 'conspiracy theories' but their is no doubt imo that Gil is a game changer. After the last few games I am however no longer convinced that Sherwood is the manager to change our downward trend. There were too many weird selections today!

Wasn't there a quote from one of our players that "nobody can get the ball off [Gil] in training"?

Not playing Gil at all is just such a completely dumb thing to do that I'm "Sherwood out" unless he wins the FA cup. Naturally if he DOES win the FA cup then I'm "Sherwood is a god". :)

I really hope the first statement is a joke.

Or what?

We'll be hearing about it in 2 months?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Or what?

We'll be hearing about it in 2 months?

Or nothing, it wasn't a threat. Take a breath.

It would just become another classic post in the long list of ridiculous things posted over the last few months.

Why is he not mentioned on any injury reports then on the OS or physio room?

Who knows.  But guess what knicker-wetters, it transpires that he is actually injured:

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2015/05/24/shay-given-faces-fitness-battle-for-fa-cup-final/

"Villa’s problems aren’t confined to the goalkeeping department, with Kieran Richardson missing the game with a calf injury which meant winger Charles N’Zogbia played at left back.

“Kieran doubtful with a calf problem and Carles Gil is also injured,” said Sherwood.

“Matt Lowton and Philippe Senderos are OK but I just left them out.”

• Like 3

What's clear is that today we lacked exactly the sort of quality that Gil brings to the table - creativity and incision. 

EDIT: Fair shout, he was injured after all, let's hope he's still around next season mind.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

It isn't as though Villa fans overrate him based on a few good performances. Tor-Kristian Karlsen called him the best signing of the January window. Guillem Balagué also spoke highly of Gil. The kid can play, and his total absence from the squad boggles my mind.

Edited by Villain-from-Texas

Â