Carles Gil

bose

Luxury player? No idea what that means in context. He's an attacker and he showed signs of being an effective one.

It means that they are limited in the aspect of play other than what they

are good at....those opportunities depending how the team plays may present themselves very few times during a game which could render them under used.

I have no ace to grind over Gil.....but I do think there is a bigger picture.

I am not questioning his ability of what he is good at....but for 90 mins in the premier league lots of physical involvement is required.

I' m not sure he is equipped for that and furthermore and more importantly I' m not sure his colleagues have enough to help him with either.

Edited by TRO

Gil and Grealish are the only players in the team who can beat a bloke , when you are are a goal down, like yday, against a well organized defence, they are priceless, the more that kind of player you have in your squad, the better.

Absolutely. We need variety in our squad if we're to improve our league finish significantly.

It's been good to win a few home games under Sherwood but they've all been when we've scored the first goal.

Conceding early and having to chase a game against a deep sitting defence...as so often in recent years we didn't have a clue how to slot a defence splitting ball through to Benteke. Gabby and CNZ certainly aren't going to do it and Grealish can't do it all at this stage.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Do you think the lack of playing time for Gil could be at Randy's request? I'm not trying to blame everything on Randy Lerner as he has done some good for the club as well as some bad, but could it be a case of Lambert begging for transfer funds and wages to be ok'd in January, Randy reluctantly agreeing, but once Lambert goes he asks Sherwood to thin out the 'unnecessary' earners (like Lambert was asked to do with the 'bomb squad stuff early on), and not play the new chap...?

There's an awful lot of guess work there, but it just occurred to me as a possibility. It's the kind of thing that we'll never find out though. It's probably nonsense!

Not probably - definitely.
Not definitely - probably.

(EDIT: didn't mean this to come across in the wrong way, no snottiness intended :) )

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

I don't think there's any chance at all that's true. Firstly, fox is running the show now and secondly, why sanction the move to want to bomb him out a month later?

I don't honestly think so either, I was just a stupid idea that popped in to my head. That's why I said that it's probably nonsense in my first post.

Luxury player? No idea what that means in context. He's an attacker and he showed signs of being an effective one.

are good at....those opportunities depending how the team plays may present themselves very few times during a game which could render them under used.

I am not questioning his ability of what he is good at....but for 90 mins in the premier league lots of physical involvement is required.

I' m not sure he is equipped for that and furthermore and more importantly I' m not sure his colleagues have enough to help him with either.

I agree with everything you've said, the physicality may be a reason why Gil hasn't featured.

But have we seen anything to suggest that he's not equipped for that?

I mean, I've seen people say he doesn't fit Sherwood's system, which is hard working, pacey football.

But from what I saw from Gil he was as pacey and hard working as anyone in the team.

• Like 2

Some of us would!

Thing is, we don't know what goes on at the club so any theories are just speculation. Sherwood may not like him, Gil may not want to be here, it may be a bit of both...

Is it just speculation? The way some people go on here you'd think Sherwood had come out and said he hates Gil and he'll never play for us again

what was Shankly's quote abou the piano? You need 8 to carry it and 3 to play it?

Grealish can play it, Zog on a good day can play it, Cole used to be great but is't up to much now unfortunately. That leaves you to include, Delph and Cleverley maybe as the players in our team. Surely we need 6 in the squad though? One to start and one to be backup. We have max 5 if you include Cole without Gil, 

Some of us would!

Thing is, we don't know what goes on at the club so any theories are just speculation. Sherwood may not like him, Gil may not want to be here, it may be a bit of both...

Is it just speculation? The way some people go on here you'd think Sherwood had come out and said he hates Gil and he'll never play for us again

Woud be mental to get rid IMO but it's also true that neither the club nor Sherwood have had anything to say about him.

I agree with everything you've said, the physicality may be a reason why Gil hasn't featured.

But have we seen anything to suggest that he's not equipped for that?

I mean, I've seen people say he doesn't fit Sherwood's system, which is hard working, pacey football.

But from what I saw from Gil he was as pacey and hard working as anyone in the team.

Can't agree with the physicality stuff in that position - unless you're a certain type of manager (hi Big Sam).

Most of the truly gifted players in the Premier League are slight, technical guys who use their low centre of gravity and ability on the ball to great effect.  David Silva, Sergio Aguero, Eden Hazard, Alexis Sanchez (although pretty strong tbh), Phillipe Coutinho, Juan Mata, Christian Eriksen etc etc.

Personally, I think Gil would offer us more as a number 10 than CNZ.  I've been disappointed with his lack of appearances under Sherwood.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree with that.

I guess when i said I agreed I meant that the reason Gil isn't featuring might be because of his physicality or lack of it. I don't agree that it's necessary to play in this team, just that that might be why he's being left out.

Whether that's right or not is a whole other question.

Dont get the physical thing either... Tim gives debuts to kids who are 16.. they cant be very big..

he played Nabil Bentaleb who is only 68kg as a DM. Surely as an attacking player Gil is fine. This is why i believe theres more to it than an injury or type of player. As he is a Sherwood type of player.

I just hope hes in Sherwoods plans.. Wiemann etc have been here for years and have done nothing. Gil has come from another country and has only been in England for 6 months and played a handful of games. I am hoping Sherwood will at least give him an English pre season to see what hes got.

I think Sherwood just didn't trust him to be part of the fight. For what ever reason that may be, I don't know, we dont see what goes on at the club.

But Sherwood is not an idiot and Gil is clearly talented. Sherwood is also trying to make a name for himself as a manager. It would make no sense for Sherwood to freeze out Gil for no proper reason. I think, if Gil is prepared to stay, that he will have a bigger part to play next season.

• Like 1

Â