The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

4 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Literally has, because the inference was that Trump was wrong to suggest that travelling to Europe was getting more dangerous for Americans.The reasoning being that terrorist attacks in Europe are on the increase, hence my post.

Sorry if you had trouble understanding it.

Okay then.

You didn't respond to a single one of Chris' points.

Why are you just focusing on suicide bombing? Terrorism is much, much broader than that.

Also, do you have a source for your '40% of prisoners in Britain are muslim' stat?

47 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Literally has, because the inference was that Trump was wrong to suggest that travelling to Europe was getting more dangerous for Americans.The reasoning being that terrorist attacks in Europe are on the increase, hence my post.

It does add weight to the idea that travelling to America is becoming more dangerous for European Muslims.

• Like 2

It does show that it's very easy to become popular these days. People are scared and people like hearing about how the people in charge are going to resolve those fears.

Not really relevant to this thread but two things about Poland. There's a refugee camp with 90 people around 30KM from where I live. Poland is becoming a bit right wing these days. Right wing Christian party is in power. In my city, nationalists are setting up patrols to prevent foreigners attacking Poles.

I've never seen a foreigner attack a Pole here. I've seen foreigners being attacked by nationalists.

Secondly, there was a bomb threat called at Warsaw Modlin airport yesterday. It was drunk teenagers at a party.

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Strange that Belgian law enforcement is taking heat for perceived slack security when nothing was said against their French counterparts in that regard.

The French were blindsided. It happens.

The Belgians were hit by a cell they knew, linked to the French atrocities, that they had already in part apprehended and dealt with in the aftermath of Paris, after it took them 4 months to find the remaining perpetrator they had discovered a stone's throw from his known residences, by people they knew and by people they'd been told to monitor. They dropped the ball, badly.

By all accounts a lot of home truths are coming out about the Belgian security services, not least of all the fact that different elements of it don't speak to each other, seemingly due to language issues, which just seems bizarre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yes, the language thing is truly strange, and I'm sure it's something the terrorists are eager to exploit.

I think that's giving any terrorist group too much credit. I'd stake good money they didn't have the faintest idea of any weakness of the Belgian services. And if wager that even if they now did, it wouldn't particularly influence they way they did things.

What the communication problems between departments and districts highlights is a weakness that lets things be missed, or fall through the cracks. Now they have been burnt by it, they can try to close that crack and stop it happening again. The communication failings let this group get lucky.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

I think that's giving any terrorist group too much credit. I'd stake good money they didn't have the faintest idea of any weakness of the Belgian services. And if wager that even if they now did, it wouldn't particularly influence they way they did things.

What the communication problems between departments and districts highlights is a weakness that lets things be missed, or fall through the cracks. Now they have been burnt by it, they can try to close that crack and stop it happening again. The communication failings let this group get lucky.

These people are mostly Belgian citizens, they'll know fully well the linguistic gaps in their own country.

In fact, I'd go as far to say Belgium was identified by terrorist groups and their enablers long ago as a soft target and a safe haven to hideout, recruit, plan, etc for the precise reason that there are massive gaps in communication amongst law enforcement there. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the right thread to put this in, but an Egyptian plane has been hijacked by a gunman. It was meant to land in Cairo but the gunmen ordered the pilot to land it in Cyprus, which it now has.

I haven't seen much official information other than this come out. But there has been rumours of a bomb being on board. Also a work colleague just said that there were Egyptian, English and American passengers, and that the Egyptian passengers have been set free (but I've not seen that reports anywhere, so could be BS).

22 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't know if this is the right thread to put this in, but an Egyptian plane has been hijacked by a gunman. It was meant to land in Cairo but the gunmen ordered the pilot to land it in Cyprus, which it now has.

I haven't seen much official information other than this come out. But there has been rumours of a bomb being on board. Also a work colleague just said that there were Egyptian, English and American passengers, and that the Egyptian passengers have been set free (but I've not seen that reports anywhere, so could be BS).

As a greek obviously very concerned for those on board and all the cypriots in the country. There has to be questions about Egypts security as this is the second serious incident to happen after the Russian air craft

• Like 2

Just now, tonyh29 said:

sounds more like a political thing rather than a terrorist related plot

There is rumours on Greek TV that the guy is in love with a greek woman that wont take him back and he is trying to make  a point. If true what a lunatic. 

• Like 1

Bbc front page

Spoiler

Most of the passengers on board a hijacked Egyptian airliner that was forced to divert to Cyprus have been freed, the airline says.

EgyptAir said negotiations had resulted in the release of all those on board Flight MS181 apart from the crew and four foreign passengers.

Video from Larnaca airport has shown people leaving the plane and boarding a bus.

It was taken over after a passenger said he was wearing an explosives belt.

Latest reports from Cypriot media suggest there is just one hijacker who was motivated by "personal reasons" and may be seeking asylum - although this has not been confirmed.

Live updates

EgyptAir said the Airbus A320 was carrying 81 passengers from Alexandria to Cairo.

A senior Alexandria airport official said those on board the flight when it took off included eight Americans, four Britons, four Dutch, two Belgians, one Italian and 30 Egyptians.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

I feel like we are hurtling towards the precipice. Things are really **** up in the world right now.

You could be right,  ISIS,  Trump, Syria, Paris and Brussels to name a few.  All the planets are lining up so to speak.

IF Trump gets in and IF Isis attack US soil for example then we have a problem.  He should and will retaliate but how and with what is the question.  He will go bigger than anyone before as his ego dictates that course of action IMO.  The UK has a weak and D-mob happy Prime Minister only interested in his legacy of European Union connections and the referendum.  Add to the the 1000's of terrorists returning from Syria which Europe seems to think they are all harmless with terror plans then we have an interesting Summer on the cards.  Maybe it's time for an ultimatum,  next ISIS attack on European soil X will happen.  We react to things after they happen,  put the ball  in their court for a change.  What X is,  I have some ideas.

5 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

You could be right,  ISIS,  Trump, Syria, Paris and Brussels to name a few.  All the planets are lining up so to speak.

IF Trump gets in and IF Isis attack US soil for example then we have a problem.  He should and will retaliate but how and with what is the question.  He will go bigger than anyone before as his ego dictates that course of action IMO.  The UK has a weak and D-mob happy Prime Minister only interested in his legacy of European Union connections and the referendum.  Add to the the 1000's of terrorists returning from Syria which Europe seems to think they are all harmless with terror plans then we have an interesting Summer on the cards.  Maybe it's time for an ultimatum,  next ISIS attack on European soil X will happen.  We react to things after they happen,  put the ball  in their court for a change.  What X is,  I have some ideas.

What are your thoughts for X?

Presuming it's some kind of military action, this is exactly what ISIS wants. They believe in a scenario that was apparently prophesied where an end of times battle takes place in Dabiq which proceeds the return of Jesus and the end times. By issuing an ultimatum that says 'the next attack will be followed by US invasion of Syria and an eradication of IS' you'd have an attack in days. You may as well just go in. Everything IS is doing and inspiring abroad are jabs at the world to encourage the reaction - to enchanted us to do something that drives more people to them, and ultimately to force us to enact their prophecy and get embroiled in a nightmare...

Assuming we did go in and fight IS proper, what is the plan assuming you can capture all that territory? You're signing up to nation building, which to date has been a fools errand in the Middle East. Nation building is difficult in the best of circumstances (if not impossible). In Syria and Iraq? You'd be signing up for generations long campaigns which will sow the seeds of the next terror group. If you just turn large chunks of Syria to glass, and walk away at a job well done, who's going to fill the gap? Assad? He's a lunatic murdering his people en masse. The Kurds? A lot of Syrian people will have a problem with that, and likely other people in the region too. The anti Assad forces? You're just setting the battle lines for a war that will possibly lead to a genocide. And so on and so forth. A power vacuum and misguided meddling helped to make IS, another will just foster the next. And that's not accounting for wider regional games of influence and power with the Iranians and the Saudis, or Shia and Sunni generally.

There isn't an easy answer to this. If there was we'd already be doing it. Pandora's box has been opened and we're going to watch it play out until things change to such a degree we can try to fix it.

• Like 2

Â