Guzan vs Friedel vs Sorensen vs Bosnich who is the best?

Demitri_C

118 members have voted

1. 1. Best Goal Keeper?

• Friedel
    • Sorensen
    • Guzan
    • Bosnich

Was thinking about this the other day and thought why not start a great debate on this lovely site

These four have been our best four main keepers since the premier league was formed but who for you is the best in your view?

For me, its a tough one between bosnich and guzan.  I would say Guzan has been a top keeper for us. Lambert re-signing him was a masterstroke. I think he commands his box well and is a excellent shot stopper. I think his kicking can be very poor at times if i had to say he has a weak area. 

Friedel was a great keeper for us as well, i think had we signed him when he was abit younger this may be different just like when we signed schimeical. 

Bosnich was a terrific keeper for us even though he did seem abit arrogant at times.

Sorensen was a solid keeper as well bargain at 2m great shot stopper but wasn't great at commanding his box in my opinion

Edited by limpid
  • Like 1

David James should be on that list before Sorenson

but to answer the question posed

Bosnich .... Brad ..... Brad .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Sorenson

tough to call. I grew up loving Bossie, and now I love Guzan, I think both of them are superior to Friedel and sorensen isn't part of the equation. 

Oddly I recall Bossie's kicking being a bit iffy too. 

On a coin flip I'm going to say Bosnich right now, subject to change the more Guzan plays with us

1.Bosnich

2. Guzan (he's been unlucky he's played behind such a rubbish defence for most of his time here but incredibly commanding on crosses. His kicking is poor but so was Bozzy's let's not forget.)

3. Friedel- Pretty secure apart from his last season where he was a bit shaky once the defence fell apart, indeed also in 08/09 this happened when Laursen got injured remember. 

4. Sorensen- Just scared by the SHA errors really, he was solid enough for most of his time here.

James was very good during the Cup final season apart from the cup final obviously. Then you have Given who it's fair to say was well past his best signing for us but had an o.k first season and then Carson who was hopeless after the England error.

Guzan for me.

Attitude, presence in the box, everything.

Infact, if we had Guzan in goal in the Carling Cup Final, we would've won.

The Owen shot was very well placed into the corner as was the Rooney header so not sure he'd have saved either.

Infact that was a totally different Guzan, he lost his place because of his poor games in the Blackburn tie.

Full credit to him he's worked so hard on crosses and commanding his box since then and now he's fully established as number one of club and country.

Guzan for me.

Doubt it. I really rate Guzan but he looked really dodgy in the semi-final against Blackburn. It was only a couple of years later that he started to look quality.

Friedel was decent for us, but the main memory I have of him was how rubbish he was at saving penalties. Whenever we conceded a pen, you pretty much knew it was going in.

The other three had decent records at saving pens.

If I had to pick one I'd say Bozzie. Played his best football for us and was a fantastic shot stopper. Should never have left us for Yanited

Guzan for me.

The Owen shot was very well placed into the corner as was the Rooney header so not sure he'd have saved either.

Infact that was a totally different Guzan, he lost his place because of his poor games in the Blackburn tie.

Full credit to him he's worked so hard on crosses and commanding his box since then and now he's fully established as number one of club and country.

I've always felt that the Rooney header could've been saved by Guzan for some reason. Just looped over Friedel and he didn't/couldn't jump high enough.

Didn't Guzan also save 3/4 penalties in a game that season as well?