Guzan vs Friedel vs Sorensen vs Bosnich who is the best?

Demitri_C

118 members have voted

1. 1. Best Goal Keeper?

• Friedel
    • Sorensen
    • Guzan
    • Bosnich

Don't know if I agree with that.  I think Sky want you to believe the league gets better every year, but I think the overall quality was better back then (i.e. more of a spread of talent) whereas as now we have superstars but they're all at 4 or 5 clubs.

Just looking at English strikers both now and roughly around the Bosnich era (can't bothered to check so feel free to correct) - currently Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney and beyond that we're looking at the likes of Rickie Lambert.  Back then it would (I think) have been Sutton, Shearer, Fowler, Ferdinand, Owen (maybe too young), Wright, Cole, Collymore, Beardsley.  And this before you start thinking about the likes of Cantona, Asprilla, Bergkamp or Henry.

• Like 1

If we ever reach the top 6 again, I'd say Guzan. Even with a completely awful defense he shines most matches. He gets a lot of shots which makes him look good, but he also makes the world class saves. Quite often we have seen Guzan somehow save a sure goal. 

Unfortunately Bosnich was a bit before my time, don't really remember much about him or his game for Villa, just watching him a few times at Villa Park when i was young. Out of the other 3 easily Guzan for me, he's solid and a great shot stopper, and some of the saves he makes are straight out of the top drawer.

Bosnich was the better shot stopper, probably the best up there with Schmeichal, but his all round GK'ing was worse than Guzan.

Guzan commands, kicks half decently (which is why Ferguson got rid of Bosnich, because he refused to practice kicking), excellent shot stopper, claims crosses unlike many GK's and leads well.

I grew up watching Bozzie but I don't think it's revisionism to rate Guzan above him.

Guzan has no real weak points. It used to be crosses and kicking but he's now excellent on both. He can pass and kick long with either foot without any panic. He's now also excellent at commanding his area. 

Bosnich could pull off a world class save every now and again but every time he had to kick you clenched.

So it's Guzan for me.

Guzan's weak point is distribution. I don't know how you can say his kicking is excellent. It's really, REALLY not.

But if a keeper had to have a weak point for us, that's probably one I'd choose.

• Like 1

I grew up watching Bozzie but I don't think it's revisionism to rate Guzan above him.

Guzan has no real weak points. It used to be crosses and kicking but he's now excellent on both. He can pass and kick long with either foot without any panic. He's now also excellent at commanding his area. 

Bosnich could pull off a world class save every now and again but every time he had to kick you clenched.

So it's Guzan for me.

Guzan's weak point is distribution. I don't know how you can say his kicking is excellent. It's really, REALLY not.

But if a keeper had to have a weak point for us, that's probably one I'd choose.

I would have agreed with you up until this season. Guzan's distribution has gone from average to very good. If we're attacking he'll now do a chancy long throw, or if we need to slow it down he'll hold on to it.

But I thoroughly disagree about his kicking. Not sure what your standard is but apart from one game this season (can't remember who now, but he kept kicking it out of play after being clattered and injured) he pretty much always makes Benteke's head and every back pass where he has to clear it, he'll make the half way line on either foot. Lots of other keepers will spam it low straight to the opposition etc but Guzan _always_ gets a good solid kick on it. Give it special attention next game, I think you'll be surprised.

I give it special attention every game, having played as a goalkeeper myself for 20 odd years.

Hitting the halfway line with a kick does not make you good at kicking. That's the minimum I'd expect from a keeper.

The modern goalkeeper needs to do a lot lot more with his kicking.

Guzan isnt bad, but he's certainly not "excellent".

But like I said, it's not a bad weakpoint to have.

Edited by Stevo985

James was influential. His godly performances got us to the FA cup final. James wasn't as realible as Guzan but he played a big part of one of our all time great premiership defences. Guzan rarely puts a foot wrong but never makes BIG match winning saves either like James could and did. Guzan has been the goalkeeper in our WORST ever defence in the premiership over the last 2 seasons. How on earth can Guzan be better??

Two things.

Guzan absolutely does make match winning saves.

Secondly, even if he didn't, a goalkeeper that doesn't make match winning saves but never makes mistakes is better than a keeper that makes match winning saves but drops a clanger every couple of games (like James).

You can't always judge football by stats. Guzan as part of a poor defence, but he wasn't the cause. Take the 8-0 for example. He got man of the match for us. And we lost 8-0.

So it's Guzan for me.

I would have agreed with you up until this season. Guzan's distribution has gone from average to very good. If we're attacking he'll now do a chancy long throw, or if we need to slow it down he'll hold on to it.

But I thoroughly disagree about his kicking. Not sure what your standard is but apart from one game this season (can't remember who now, but he kept kicking it out of play after being clattered and injured) he pretty much always makes Benteke's head and every back pass where he has to clear it, he'll make the half way line on either foot. Lots of other keepers will spam it low straight to the opposition etc but Guzan _always_ gets a good solid kick on it. Give it special attention next game, I think you'll be surprised.

I give it special attention every game, having played as a goalkeeper myself for 20 odd years.

Hitting the halfway line with a kick does not make you good at kicking. That's the minimum I'd expect from a keeper.

The modern goalkeeper needs to do a lot lot more with his kicking.

Guzan isnt bad, but he's certainly not "excellent".

But like I said, it's not a bad weakpoint to have.

Fair play, I'm a rubbish goal keeper :)

If that's the standard required, I'd say most of the premier league's keepers are poor at kicking.

Guzan for me.

Attitude, presence in the box, everything.

Infact, if we had Guzan in goal in the Carling Cup Final, we would've won.

The Owen shot was very well placed into the corner as was the Rooney header so not sure he'd have saved either.

Infact that was a totally different Guzan, he lost his place because of his poor games in the Blackburn tie.

Full credit to him he's worked so hard on crosses and commanding his box since then and now he's fully established as number one of club and country.

I was about to say, some people have short memories. Guzan was the footballing equivalent of Dracula up until a couple of years ago and was truly dreadful in that semi-final.