Guzan vs Friedel vs Sorensen vs Bosnich who is the best?

Demitri_C

118 members have voted

1. 1. Best Goal Keeper?

• Friedel
    • Sorensen
    • Guzan
    • Bosnich

Sorenson was superb in his first season,after the nightmare that was peter encklemen

After that he went downhill, he made errors on a regular basis, every keeper drops a bollock but Sorenson seemed to have one in every other game. I still have nightmares remembering that game at home v blues

Edited by Jimzk5

I grew up watching Bozzie but I don't think it's revisionism to rate Guzan above him.

Guzan has no real weak points. It used to be crosses and kicking but he's now excellent on both. He can pass and kick long with either foot without any panic. He's now also excellent at commanding his area. 

Bosnich could pull off a world class save every now and again but every time he had to kick you clenched.

So it's Guzan for me.

• Like 2

I grew up watching Bozzie but I don't think it's revisionism to rate Guzan above him.

Guzan has no real weak points. It used to be crosses and kicking but he's now excellent on both. He can pass and kick long with either foot without any panic. He's now also excellent at commanding his area. 

Bosnich could pull off a world class save every now and again but every time he had to kick you clenched.

So it's Guzan for me.

Guzan's weak point is distribution. I don't know how you can say his kicking is excellent. It's really, REALLY not.

But if a keeper had to have a weak point for us, that's probably one I'd choose.

Not sure why David James isnt on this list. People forget that he was the MAIN reason we got to the FA Cup final with his world class performances.

Bosnich is number 1 for me though easily.

I like Guzan but feel he is slightly overrated on here. Although this season defensively we have improved greatly, The last 2 seasons we have had the worst defence in our Premiership history. Surely Guzan plays a part in this. Its hard to pinpoint individual errors he has made but I find it hard to believe he is free from all blame for our woeful, shambolic defending in the previous 2 years. Also Guzan's distribution is pretty shite.

So it's Guzan for me.

He dosen't come off his line quick enough imo. O.K I'm not expecting Hugo Lloris type sprints outside the box but a few defensive mis understandings have been a result of his starting postion in the box not being great when the ball's been played over the top.

Take the Suarez penalty last season. While everyone was debating whether he dived which he did, I was thinking if he'd been a tad quicker off his line he could've just got to the ball before Suarez. Fulham away would be another example.

I love Brad so that's me just being ultra-critical of him. 

Schmeichel, Seaman, Cech and Bosnich are the 4 most iconic goalkeepers in premiership history in that order imo.

Its funny how in this thread Guzan has now become one of the most overrated villa players. A brilliant keeper who i wouldnt swap for anyone in the premiership other than Courtious, Cech and De Gea but better then Bosnich, Friedel and James?! Give over.

Edited by donnie

Guzan actually is better than James and Friedel were (for us)

Not Bosnich though.

And I think you could argue Friedel was a better goalkeeper in his Blackburn days. Whilst he was still great for us, he wasn't quite up to that standard.

• Like 2

James was influential. His godly performances got us to the FA cup final. James wasn't as realible as Guzan but he played a big part of one of our all time great premiership defences. Guzan rarely puts a foot wrong but never makes BIG match winning saves either like James could and did. Guzan has been the goalkeeper in our WORST ever defence in the premiership over the last 2 seasons. How on earth can Guzan be better??

James was influential. His godly performances got us to the FA cup final. James wasn't as realible as Guzan but he played a big part of one of our all time great premiership defences. Guzan rarely puts a foot wrong but never makes BIG match winning saves either like James could and did. Guzan has been the goalkeeper in our WORST ever defence in the premiership over the last 2 seasons. How on earth can Guzan be better??

Really? 

• Like 1

Brad Snr for me. The ultimate pro and a very good keeper. To keep on playing into your 40's even as a keeper shows real dedication. Bozzie and Spinks were a bit too early for me but also both good keepers. Goose is on his way to becoming a firm villa favourite as well. It is a bit of a inverse postion a goalkeeper. They look better in a team with a poor defence as they have to be more busy. Thinking about it in fact we have done quite well for goalkeepers down the years really?

• Like 1