Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

you mean fame isn't what its made out to be?

I watched the britney spears documentary, anyone who wants to be famous seriously needs their head looking at, **** that

and there's only one reason people go on love island...

We've talked about in on here before, but people who go public when they win the lottery. Why?! No good will come of it? Is it a desire for some sort of fame? Or just plain attention whoring? 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Xela said:

We've talked about in on here before, but people who go public when they win the lottery. Why?! No good will come of it? Is it a desire for some sort of fame? Or just plain attention whoring? 

I wonder if camelot or whoever runs it now tell them to bite the bullet and fess up early as it'll inevitably come out later ?

If it was me, folk would notice that I had become an even bigger word removed and a richer one 😃

Nicer problems to have...

Edited by mottaloo

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I'm not telling a soul. 

Buying my mum a house then retiring to the nearest glory hole.

24 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

I wonder if camelot or whoever runs it now tell them to bite the bullet and fess up early as it'll inevitably come out later ?

If it was me, folk would notice that I had become an even bigger word removed and a richer one 😃

I wonder at what level you need to win in order for people to notice. If I won £1m, I don't think people would be able to tell - i'd buy a modest house, couple of decent cars (nothing flash) and invest the rest so hopefully I could retire, or at the very least, reduce my hours. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

They obviously offer incentives to go public like the dedicated media advisers available 24/7 etc.  Screw that.  I'd be out of here as soon as I had confirmation that I was a winner. 

I wouldn't even worry about the state of the flat or try to sell it - I would be up and gone (and so would close family).  Selling little trinkets like small flats can come down the line :D.

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2021 at 05:45, sidcow said:

Subbuteo. It's just shit. 

Well ... we loved it in the 1970s before the first video games became commercially available. It had its time. Not sure I can explain it, but the fun wasn't so much in the player pieces and gameplay (although that could be pretty enjoyable, I remember) as much as in the head and imagination. Very similar to D&D before concoctions like Warcraft came along. It was more about what you brought creatively to Subbuteo than what the technology offered? The fun was about interacting with other people in front of you imaginatively, at least when we played Subbuteo. The whole atmosphere of a football match came to life in your head. I'm guessing you might not rate marbles much either, but I don't want to assume you're younger than age 55 or so. We were playing marbles still avidly in the early to mid-1970s, past their peak era. A marble is so boring, really, if youn think about it. But it just felt much more fun when there weren't as many choices of toys that so astonishingly re-create reality as there are today. Tops that you whip were also fun, but only in the same way fidget spinners are. I can definitely understand how it looks pretty stupid today. But I saw my own kid play in a way similar to Subbuteo but with other things -- with toy trains, etc. Sometimes, it strikes me that it's sort developmentally important for children to find way to use their minds in these quieter ways, but I'm not expert on such matters. In a way, it's true, Subbuteo was shit, but we weren't because we just loved football and wanted to imagine all these football scenarios and dramas. So now you have a very serious response to an offhand post from two years ago lol.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Well ... we loved it in the 1970s before the first video games became commercially available. It had its time. Not sure I can explain it, but the fun wasn't so much in the player pieces and gameplay (although that could be pretty enjoyable, I remember) as much as in the head and imagination. Very similar to D&D before concoctions like Warcraft came along. It was more about what you brought creatively to Subbuteo than what the technology offered? The fun was about interacting with other people in front of you imaginatively, at least when we played Subbuteo. The whole atmosphere of a football match came to life in your head. I'm guessing you might not rate marbles much either, but I don't want to assume you're younger than age 55 or so. We were playing marbles still avidly in the early to mid-1970s, past their peak era. A marble is so boring, really, if youn think about it. But it just felt much more fun when there weren't as many choices of toys that so astonishingly re-create reality as there are today. Tops that you whip were also fun, but only in the same way fidget spinners are. I can definitely understand how it looks pretty stupid today. But I saw my own kid play in a way similar to Subbuteo but with other things -- with toy trains, etc. Sometimes, it strikes me that it's sort developmentally important for children to find way to use their minds in these quieter ways, but I'm not expert on such matters. In a way, it's true, Subbuteo was shit, but we weren't because we just loved football and wanted to imagine all these football scenarios and dramas. So now you have a very serious response to an offhand post from two years ago lol.

Oh I'm 53.  Subbuteo was a big thing. I just always thought it was shit. 

Played marbles plenty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/07/2023 at 18:33, AVFC_Hitz said:

Buying my mum a house then retiring to the nearest glory hole.

Nice.

But which side of the gloryhole will you be on?

spacer.png

• Haha 2

On 29/07/2023 at 23:05, Marka Ragnos said:

I can remember the very last time I played Subutteo (The Hobby  -  hence the logo fact fans)

It was the day after Derby County got smashed 7-1 by Liverpool in 1991. Three of us lived together, me, a Leeds fan and a Derby Fan. The Derby fan had been to the game and stayed over at his mums. In honour of his return we, being the arseholes were were had stuck up reviews of the match from the sunday papers. The Derby fan cam home in a fouler than foul mood, saw what we'd done and booted the table with the subutteo pitch on, he pretty much trashed all the players and subutteo was never played again. I still have the astroturf pitch but no players or goals or anything

I have a sweets tin somewhere out the garage with the remaining walking wounded of my subbuteo figures. I don’t think there is a single whole team, so we’d have to play basically red figures against basically blue, or yellow.

So you’d end up with 4 Swedes 5 Brazilians and a Norwich player against 6 Italians, 2 Everton, and a couple of non specific generic ‘blue’ players. 

On 17/07/2023 at 23:30, Chindie said:

Love Island does have a fantastic record of ruining contestants lives. 4 suicides, people getting harassed and hounded...

They also don't give them anything in the way of support afterwards. Someone I know was on there. She went from working in an Essex nail bar on about £1,500 a month to coining it in to the tune of about £300K a year afterwards, with modelling and paid Instagram posts etc (she has about a million followers). All of a sudden, she was bringing in £25K a month or whatever, and didn't realise that you have to account for it, and pay tax, NI and VAT etc. After a couple of years the money started to dwindle, but being 21 and thick as a submarine door, she'd spent it all on holidays/cars/clothes/going out etc, and was almost suicidal when it was pointed out that she was almost certainly going to get clobbered by the tax man for a six figure sum which she no longer had.

• Like 1

Â