Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

21 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can't fight biology. There's a reason why men and women have different requirements set to them all over society. 

8F6DB767-86A2-4440-99EE-340424F1FCFB.gif

Edited by Shropshire Lad
Edit - the opening four words of the post quoted made me think of this song and now it’s stuck in my head.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

That may be the case but your view is that women can't do something, but they can. No one denies they are different but a change to their game isn't required. 

That's not my view at all. The point is that they can't do it as well as men cause the dimensions were never made for women. They would make a better sport that more people would watch with different goals and pitch sizes. 

Playing devils advocate, in track events women use lighter and smaller javelins, discus, hammer and shot puts as well as shorter poles in general for pole vaults. 

Not saying they should play on a smaller pitch, they shouldn't, but does show how same sporting events can differ between genders due to biology. 

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Do Sunday league players need their pitch and goal sizes altering? No. But professional women who are much better than them, are way more fitter and have been playing the game most of their life do need this altering. These are professional athletes, who I am sure will match if not better you in explosive power. 

Sunday league women probably should yes. It may improve the game because it's grim to watch half the time. See the goals in the FA Cup final? They really struggle with keeping for some reason.

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can't fight biology

Changing the subject slightly to take it off on a related tangent... Apparently, the IAAF can fight biology

The Caster Semenya case proves it. What a ludicrous ruling. Since forever drugs in sport have been considered bad, now the IAAF is forcing her to take drugs to reduce her naturally occurring testosterone levels. Not once has anyone ever suggested she's cheating because they can't, she isn't.

Not only is the IAAF making her take drugs to level the playing field, but it's also opening the door for all sorts of other ludicrous nonsense

Will there be a maximum height for high jumpers? Will runners only be allowed to compete with a maximum leg length?

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Xela said:

Playing devils advocate, in track events women use lighter and smaller javelins, discus, hammer and shot puts as well as shorter poles in general for pole vaults. 

Not saying they should play on a smaller pitch, they shouldn't, but does show how same sporting events can differ between genders due to biology. 

Sexist bollocks!

40 minutes ago, bickster said:

Changing the subject slightly to take it off on a related tangent... Apparently, the IAAF can fight biology

The Caster Semenya case proves it. What a ludicrous ruling. Since forever drugs in sport have been considered bad, now the IAAF is forcing her to take drugs to reduce her naturally occurring testosterone levels. Not once has anyone ever suggested she's cheating because they can't, she isn't.

Not only is the IAAF making her take drugs to level the playing field, but it's also opening the door for all sorts of other ludicrous nonsense

Will there be a maximum height for high jumpers? Will runners only be allowed to compete with a maximum leg length?

Its a difficult one but she clearly has an advantage due to her testosterone levels. She has the look and build of a man and even sounds like a man in interviews, If she looked more feminine she would be lauded as an amazing athlete. 

Just now, Xela said:

Its a difficult one but she clearly has an advantage due to her testosterone levels. She has the look and build of a man and even sounds like a man in interviews, If she looked more feminine she would be lauded as an amazing athlete. 

Fatima Whitbread

Lots of athletes have advantages over their competitors due to natural physical differences, where do you draw the line? Because before this the line was pretty clear (not entirely though granted) in that anything "unnatural" was considered cheating, now the line has moved and been made a lot fuzzier

Line of Duty. 

It's the new Game of Thrones. I'm totally sick of people going on about it, asking me if I'm watching it tonight, etc. No, I'm not. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/05/what-no-one-is-telling-you-about-caster-semenya-she-has-xy-chromosomes/

It’s absolutely mind-boggling that virtually every major outlet in the world reporting the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling yesterday has failed to mention one of the most important facts of the entire case. Caster Semenya has XY chromosomes.

I'm not sure it should be taken for granted that the top tier women would beat a men's Sunday league side. 

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Let me try and put it another way for you.

The women's game is more popular in america, some of the women playing are playing to a greater skill level than some british men. Some of the women are playing faster at altitude than some men in britain. Some women in america are more skilfull than some men in britain. Some women in america are paid more to play than some men in britain. Because some women in america are just plain better at football than some men in britain.

Until the average UK male football player - and I mean average, including every Sunday leaguer, every once a month five a sider, until they are as good and explosive and skilfull as the USA women's team, until then, they should only be allowed to play on little pitches.

Or to reduce it further, you're talking sexist bollocks.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure it should be taken for granted that the top tier women would beat a men's Sunday league side. 

you are Bobby Riggs and I claim my £5

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

you are Bobby Riggs and I claim my £5

More like Karsten Braasch ;) 

When it comes to anything to do with strength or power, men have an absolutely massive advantage. I'm a fairly mediocre powerlifter, for example, and nowhere near one of the best at regional level amateur meets. But my deadlift and benchpress beats the uk female record for the weightclass.  

Take the top women's team vs a semi pro men's team, and the women may well be more skilful on the ball, but I suspect the men will be noticeably faster, bigger and stronger, and it wouldn't be a fair contest.

But it's not about who would win male vs female. 

It's about men deciding women would be better off playing on little pitches because they aren't as good. Which I can't quite decide is either very funny or very offensive. 

This weekend, my local women's team has won Cups at U16, U18 and full senior level. Firstly, they don't want to play on a special ladies pitch. Second, we wouldn't have the money for the facility. Third, it creates division in what should be a very simple totally accessible game.

There's a one ladies team three cups joke in there somewhere.

• Like 1

Â