Things You Don't "Get"

CrackpotForeigner

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

.The reason I play by different rules in Scrabble is that I mainly play against my mother or my mother-in-law (I know, rock and roll!) and there's obviously an implicit understanding that you just don't cheat. I don't check a word unless I'm pretty sure it exists or that that's the way it's spelt. I don't regard it as cheating, and as long as everyone plays by the same rules I don't really see why it matters.

But surely the whole point of Scrabble is whether you know the words? It seems to me that there should be a downside if you get it wrong. There's an element of risk vs reward removed from the gamewhen you just let people double-check in the dictionary, without consequence.

It's little better than letting people pull out a protractor to double check before they take a shot in Snooker. :P 

Yep. Our house rule is no checking before playing a word. If your opponent suspects it's dodgy, they may challenge. If a dictionary check proves the challenge correct, the word is withdrawn and the player misses their turn. If the challenge is incorrect, the challenger misses a turn. This discourages constant challenges of every word. 

Obviously online Scrabble has slightly different dynamics, but the ISC site I mentioned upthread works on timed games (agreed at the start of the game), to minimise the use of online searches. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've learned that almost nobody apart from proper board game fans actually reads or follows the rules when playing games, that's why Monopoly seems to turn in to a several hour long war of attrition due to idiots thinking they know better than the game's creators and coming up with 'house rules'. Monopoly is already a pretty shit game, but it's people's house rules that really ruin it.

I reckon I'm in the 1% that plays monopoly actually by the rules. 

When people don't auction a property that's landed on and not bought. Amateurs. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I reckon I'm in the 1% that plays monopoly actually by the rules. 

When people don't auction a property that's landed on and not bought. Amateurs. 

It blew my mind when I found that out, I was genuinely shocked how I could not have known that rule all this time.

Just now, Paddywhack said:

It blew my mind when I found that out, I was genuinely shocked how I could not have known that rule all this time.

Apparently no one does. I saw an article on FB claiming "everyone" had been playing monopoly wrong their whole lives. 

Not me baby!

The other one is free parking getting all the money collected from fines. It's totally made up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Apparently no one does. I saw an article on FB claiming "everyone" had been playing monopoly wrong their whole lives. 

Not me baby!

The other one is free parking getting all the money collected from fines. It's totally made up.

Yeah I didn't know the free parking one until playing with @Rob182 He's blurred my board gaming, that man!

Edited by Paddywhack

I'd recommend the boardgame OGRE. It's a wargame where one side has a massive tank (OGRE) with loads of weapons and tough armour. The other side has lots of units but they are weaker. The rules are simple and its easy to learn. It's also pretty good for solo play.

I played it a lot but was never able to beat the OGRE. By coincidence a colleague mentioned that he'd stopped playing it because the game balance was rubbish. He could never win with the OGRE.  We set up a game and realised that it was only the tactics we were using and the game balance was spot on. That's the sort of game I like. Luck plays a part but tactics, counter tactics and adaptation are the key to winning. 

11 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Blokes with tattooed legs.

No mate, I don't want to see your shitty inkwork and pasty white legs, **** off.

How do you know if a bloke has got tattoed legs?

Oh don't you worry, he'll be wearing shorts all year round so we can all enjoy his 1990's tribal banding.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

How do you know if a bloke has got tattoed legs?

Oh don't you worry, he'll be wearing shorts all year round so we can all enjoy his 1990's tribal banding.

Was about to say people with tattoos on their legs are normally the first to start wearing shorts and they normally start wearing them in February up until November.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 2

Unfortunately you can't help it where I live. The only thing they use to cover up is trackie bottoms, the scruffy words removed.

33 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've worked there before and it seemed like a nice quiet place.

Compared to Rugeley it is :P

• Like 1

Â