• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Idiots will blame the Ref. People with eyes will blame Benteke.

some folk might even comment on Gabby waiting for a bus at the back post and not picking up Chadli as he sailed past for their equaliser....fair play Graham souness picked it up and commented on it....God that was a poor Spurs side....only Harry Kane livened them up.

Many people commenting about it being our worst run in 47 years. Many people posting in the "Lambert - Out" thread, and also looking for our next manager. I'm not going to get into the parts of that because the bottom line is that we played well today.

We lost 2-1 after going ahead, having multiple close chances (not just creating them), and then losing to a deflection from a pretty poor free kick (Guzan was already across the net before it hit Bakers(?) head).

What I will talk about is the ref, as I voted him poor. Sometimes there is a decision in the game by the ref where it changes everything. A stupid free kick decision, or a peno that never was. This was not the case today.

The ref was poor from start to finish, he failed to control the game, he failed to calm the players down after a fiery 10/20 mins. His fourth official rightly indicated that Benteke should be sent off (read the rules if you disagree with this), but then failed to ALSO follow up on the rules for a 'headbutt' by Mason into Tekkers face.

The ref should have had the game under grips early on but he let it spiral out of control multiple times, and that cost us. Did it cost us just because the ref made the wrong decisions? No. It cost us because he let all the players on the pitch lose their heads, and ultimately, and in my opinion, that was directly responsible for the end result.

Should Premier League players be able to deal with this, and keep an deserved 1-0 lead? Yes. But this is an instance where this didn't happen.

We lost through bad luck, extremely poor refereeing, and a lucky deflection at the last minute.

Saying all the above, when Spurs went 1-1, I stuck an inplay bet for them to win 2-1. Was only a fiver on at 3/1, shoulda done it for 5 grand :P

Sorry, I didn't realise the ref was responsible for ensuring they don't lose their head.

How about the players control themselves.

Can anyone please give me any reason why we won't get relegated?

28 games left to see if we can muster something that resembles premier league football.....and turn it in to positive results

• Like 1

Many people commenting about it being our worst run in 47 years. Many people posting in the "Lambert - Out" thread, and also looking for our next manager. I'm not going to get into the parts of that because the bottom line is that we played well today.

We lost 2-1 after going ahead, having multiple close chances (not just creating them), and then losing to a deflection from a pretty poor free kick (Guzan was already across the net before it hit Bakers(?) head).

What I will talk about is the ref, as I voted him poor. Sometimes there is a decision in the game by the ref where it changes everything. A stupid free kick decision, or a peno that never was. This was not the case today.

The ref was poor from start to finish, he failed to control the game, he failed to calm the players down after a fiery 10/20 mins. His fourth official rightly indicated that Benteke should be sent off (read the rules if you disagree with this), but then failed to ALSO follow up on the rules for a 'headbutt' by Mason into Tekkers face.

The ref should have had the game under grips early on but he let it spiral out of control multiple times, and that cost us. Did it cost us just because the ref made the wrong decisions? No. It cost us because he let all the players on the pitch lose their heads, and ultimately, and in my opinion, that was directly responsible for the end result.

Should Premier League players be able to deal with this, and keep an deserved 1-0 lead? Yes. But this is an instance where this didn't happen.

We lost through bad luck, extremely poor refereeing, and a lucky deflection at the last minute.

Saying all the above, when Spurs went 1-1, I stuck an inplay bet for them to win 2-1. Was only a fiver on at 3/1, shoulda done it for 5 grand :P

Sorry, I didn't realise the ref was responsible for ensuring they don't lose their head.

Do you not think that the Ref has an influence on how players react by judging his decisions?

Edit: I'll just add that my 'argument' about the ref applies to under 8's Sunday league, Pub football, League Football, and unfortunately Premier League football.

Edited by Chewie

This was very hard to take. Normally I never say this, but we deserved to win this one. We played quite well, and Benteke was really looking for that first goal of the season. I thought he'd get it, instead he got himself a red and three game ban. How hard does this have to be, I don't know.

On the bright side, Andi's goal was well executed, with a good run and pass by Zog. The pass was exceptionally good since it would've gone to Benteke if Andi didn't hit it first. I loved our emotion, even if it was borderline recless at times.

I am very worried about Sanchez. He is a total liability right now. Hopefully he'll improve, but honestly, he is awful at the moment.

I don't get why no villa player was contesting where spurs were taking that free from. Someone should have been in their face trying to get it moved to the correct position.

I thought that! It was maybe 6 or 7 yards further back, giving them more space to get it up and down.

Mentioned that in the match thread. Pissed me off.

For Benteke's sending off? Yes, of course, you can't slap a player.

For Mason's headbutt? I don't blame Benteke.

For Vertonghens two footed lunge? I don't blame Benteke.

For Chadli's umpteen fouls and late high kick at Westwood's ankle? I'm not sure Benteke was still on the pitch.

For a succession of poor decisions and for allowing a game to boil over by only refereeing one side? Nope.

If either side had stuck to having eleven men trying to win the game for them, we'd have won that.

But to decide where to apportion blame, you have to base it on what has actually happened. And the game turned on Benteke's action.

I don't get why no villa player was contesting where spurs were taking that free from. Someone should have been in their face trying to get it moved to the correct position.

I thought that! It was maybe 6 or 7 yards further back, giving them more space to get it up and down.

yeah that was very poor of the squad. at the same time, it's also up to the ref to point out were it should be and it was way off.

Sanchez played alright again, a couple of times he tried to anticipate one thing, only for spurs to do the other and get past him easily. The challenge at the end was absolutely crazy and cost us any points, I think the pressure got to him.

Benteke incident will obviously cover the back pages, you cannot raise your hands. He gave the ref no option. Having said that, the other guy should have gone too. It's obvious they targeted Benteke and were roughing him up.

Thought we played alright on the whole. Much better than the last few games. There are periods where we rush, make mistakes and put ourselves under heavy pressure, but over the 90 minutes, we deserved to win.

yeah that was very poor of the squad. at the same time, it's also up to the ref to point out were it should be and it was way off.

Yeah I'm not blaming anyone for it.

It just annoyed me because a free kick right on the edge of the box is hard to score from because you can't get it up and down.

You never know, Kane might have smashed it through the wall and scored anyway. So its no excuse for the defeat.

Still annoyed me though.

Do you not think that the Ref has an influence on how players react by judging his decisions?

Edit: I'll just add that my 'argument' about the ref applies to under 8's Sunday league, Pub football, League Football, and unfortunately Premier League football.

Of course, but the place the blame on the ref is unfair IMO. His jobs pretty difficult as it is, without being solely responsible for the players behaviour, which is what your posts suggest.

So wrong I dont know where to begin. So bad luck played a part in Benteke slapping Mason? Bad luck played a part in Gabby not marking his man?? Bad luck played a part in Sanchez's ridiculously idiotic tackle to concede the free kick???

Blaming the ref for highly paid professionals to lose there heads?? Get a grip lad.

For Benteke's sending off? Yes, of course, you can't slap a player.

For Mason's headbutt? I don't blame Benteke.

For Vertonghens two footed lunge? I don't blame Benteke.

For Chadli's umpteen fouls and late high kick at Westwood's ankle? I'm not sure Benteke was still on the pitch.

For a succession of poor decisions and for allowing a game to boil over by only refereeing one side? Nope.

If either side had stuck to having eleven men trying to win the game for them, we'd have won that.

But to decide where to apportion blame, you have to base it on what has actually happened. And the game turned on Benteke's action.

You could argue that the game turned on the decision not to send off Vertonghen, and indeed that it had an influence on the resulting atmosphere that lead to Benteke's sending off.

• Like 1

Shit referee in a long list of shit refs, only this one is Clown Prince of Shitness.

Gave Spurs everything, should have sent off at least two Spuds players but bent over to accomodate them up his scabby ringpiece.

Tosser of the highest order. Hope he gets ebola.

• Like 2

Didn't Mourinho try to defend the Ramieres tackle last season by saying the Chelsea players were hacked off with the previous decisions.

I accept the Benteke red. It was soft but if the ref sees it you probably get sent off.

I have to say though the rules are fcuked up if something like that from Benteke gets a red card but Vertonghen can get a yellow for his tackle. Which one can cause serious injury again?

How Spurs kept 11 men on the pitch is beyond me.

• Like 3