• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

I'm still **** livid, way more so than the QPR result. Unlike that we actually played well and were **** over by a diabolical refereeing performance. That isn't to say Benteke is completely innocent, but neither is Mason.

Despite yet another defeat I'm a lot more confident about the team now than I was after QPR. Obviously it remains to be seen whether we can continue performances like that but there is hope.

The trouble is I think there is a strong correlation with us playing well, as we did today, and Benteke playing well at the same time. I think we will really struggle without him for the next 3 games at a time when we and Lambert need him most. 

Will he definitely be out for 3 games?

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see. Ironically our excellent form at the beginning of the season came with him out of the team and Weimann seems to be scoring a few at least (although that doesn't make up for everybody else not scoring).

Have people seen the possesion stats , and yeah I know we only had ten men for a portion or the game ,but we were still much too deep , gave them far too much space . We are a poor, poor side , and I can't see it changing for the better any time soon .

The possession stats mean **** all, especially when we were down to 10 men for a large portion of the game. Just compare today's performance to the one at QPR and then look at the possession stats.

Edited by Mantis

An improvement on the QPR game ? Wow

I know everyone's entitled to an opinion and all that but this is just flat out wrong. Even if you don't think we played well today, I don't know how anybody can claim that it wasn't at least better than the QPR performance. We actually scored for starters.

Many people commenting about it being our worst run in 47 years. Many people posting in the "Lambert - Out" thread, and also looking for our next manager. I'm not going to get into the parts of that because the bottom line is that we played well today.

We lost 2-1 after going ahead, having multiple close chances (not just creating them), and then losing to a deflection from a pretty poor free kick (Guzan was already across the net before it hit Bakers(?) head).

What I will talk about is the ref, as I voted him poor. Sometimes there is a decision in the game by the ref where it changes everything. A stupid free kick decision, or a peno that never was. This was not the case today.

The ref was poor from start to finish, he failed to control the game, he failed to calm the players down after a fiery 10/20 mins. His fourth official rightly indicated that Benteke should be sent off (read the rules if you disagree with this), but then failed to ALSO follow up on the rules for a 'headbutt' by Mason into Tekkers face.

The ref should have had the game under grips early on but he let it spiral out of control multiple times, and that cost us. Did it cost us just because the ref made the wrong decisions? No. It cost us because he let all the players on the pitch lose their heads, and ultimately, and in my opinion, that was directly responsible for the end result.

Should Premier League players be able to deal with this, and keep an deserved 1-0 lead? Yes. But this is an instance where this didn't happen.

We lost through bad luck, extremely poor refereeing, and a lucky deflection at the last minute.

Saying all the above, when Spurs went 1-1, I stuck an inplay bet for them to win 2-1. Was only a fiver on at 3/1, shoulda done it for 5 grand :P

So wrong I dont know where to begin. So bad luck played a part in Benteke slapping Mason? Bad luck played a part in Gabby not marking his man?? Bad luck played a part in Sanchez's ridiculously idiotic tackle to concede the free kick???

Blaming the ref for highly paid professionals to lose there heads?? Get a grip lad.

You would not lose your head if your opponents repeatedly lunged at you two footed, studs raised, and didn't get punished for it?

You would not lose your head if your opponents ganged up on and headbutted you and none of them got punished for it but only you got sent off instead?

You would not lose your head if the game was blatantly 12 v 11 and the referee was obviously the opponent's best player by far?

As I said Chelsea have one of the best managers in the business and one of the best teams in europe and they lost their heads at VP last season which resulted in two red cards.

It shouldn't happen but it does, they may be millionaires but they're still eleven human beings at the end of the day.

The Benteke situation for me unfortunately highlights the issue with the game now. 

At the point Mason pushed his head into him, I would now have rather Benteke went down like a baby, writhing around and got Mason sent off, rather than do the normal thing of push him away. 

So in short, next time Tekkers, absolutely 100% dive.

God why does football make me so angry. There is a man called Neil Swarbrick that I've never met that I really want to punch in the face.

Or maybe I should stroke him gently down the side of the face as that's far more dangerous.

• Like 1

So what? His right-foot went back to ground before the challenge was made and therefore it wasn't two-footed and not a red card.

So if I took a knife and attacked you with it, as long as my hand lets go of the knife before the contact is made, it isn't a crime and I'm innocent?

God why does football make me so angry. There is a man called Neil Swarbrick that I've never met that I really want to punch in the face.

Or maybe I should stroke him gently down the side of the face as that's far more dangerous.

:lol:

The word removed's up there with Dowd now for me. I hope every single future visit to Villa Park is a thoroughly unpleasant one for him.

So what? His right-foot went back to ground before the challenge was made and therefore it wasn't two-footed and not a red card.

So if I took a knife and attacked you with it, as long as my hand lets go of the knife before the contact is made, it isn't a crime and I'm innocent?

Nah, you'd just be let off with a caution instead. ;)

Edited by Mantis

:lol:

The word removed's up there with Dowd now for me. I hope every single future visit to Villa Park is a thoroughly unpleasant one for him.

Nah, you'd just be let off with a caution instead. ;)
I hope they both get kidney stones.

Edit: Dowd and Swarbrick that is

Edited by Wainy316

Sorry, but have to say it:

1-0 up after losing 5 in a row to a decent side and hanging on with ten men: you'd expect the crowd to be getting behind the team.

75-80 mins ish nobody was singing. Absolutely terrible support. The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Then they get booed off - barely their fault they got **** over by their own player/ref/whoever and conceded one very unlucky goal and one individual error from a corner.

So frustrating.

Booing will be the ref

As for the rest, like I said in the weekend football thread, apathy is a killer in football, it was quiet today, not really even that much aimed at the ref, I think the Sunday afternoon kick off which everyone I know hates and I know I personally struggle to get in the mood for, the low expectations due to our form and then you add in the feeling of same old shit with what happened during the game

the hard done by mentality didn't kick in, the here we go again one did instead

• Like 1

Booing will be the ref

As for the rest, like I said in the weekend football thread, apathy is a killer in football, it was quiet today, not really even that much aimed at the ref, I think the Sunday afternoon kick off which everyone I know hates and I know I personally struggle to get in the mood for, the low expectations due to our form and then you add in the feeling of same old shit with what happened during the game

the hard done by mentality didn't kick in, the here we go again one did instead

Hopefully that won't be the case with the players. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and in players heads but I'd like to think that they'll use this in their next game to spur them on. There's nothing more motivating (for me at least) than injustice.

Edited by Mantis

Sorry, but have to say it:

1-0 up after losing 5 in a row to a decent side and hanging on with ten men: you'd expect the crowd to be getting behind the team.

75-80 mins ish nobody was singing. Absolutely terrible support. The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Then they get booed off - barely their fault they got **** over by their own player/ref/whoever and conceded one very unlucky goal and one individual error from a corner.

So frustrating.

Oh please! We managed just one shot on target all match and all you can speak about is the bloody lack of support from the fans. It's not the fans fault we're so damn rubbish.