• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

Ref should have sorted out the bad challenges that Spurs players had made earlier before the Benteke incident.

They knew he was our threat, unfortunately he played straight into their hands.

Once he went off the writing was on the wall

Very worried and disapppointed as he was looking like he was getting back to his best. Now we're without him for 3 games

Sorry, but have to say it:

1-0 up after losing 5 in a row to a decent side and hanging on with ten men: you'd expect the crowd to be getting behind the team.

75-80 mins ish nobody was singing. Absolutely terrible support. The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Then they get booed off - barely their fault they got **** over by their own player/ref/whoever and conceded one very unlucky goal and one individual error from a corner.

So frustrating.

Oh please! We managed just one shot on target all match and all you can speak about is the bloody lack of support from the fans. It's not the fans fault we're so damn rubbish.

We weren't rubbish yesterday though.

I find it very odd that there's so much focus on this one shot on target stat when we had so many chances.

Edited by Mantis

1-0 up after losing 5 in a row to a decent side and hanging on with ten men: you'd expect the crowd to be getting behind the team.

75-80 mins ish nobody was singing. Absolutely terrible support. The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Then they get booed off - barely their fault they got **** over by their own player/ref/whoever and conceded one very unlucky goal and one individual error from a corner.

So frustrating.

Were you singing? Most of the people near me were too shell-shocked.

• Like 1

So frustrating.

Oh please! We managed just one shot on target all match and all you can speak about is the bloody lack of support from the fans. It's not the fans fault we're so damn rubbish.

We weren't rubbish yesterday though.

I find it very odd that there's so much focus on this one shot on target stat when we had so many chances.

So many chances? We had about 5.

A thankless task? They get paid an extraordinary amount of money to put in a good performance, regardless of what the fans are doing. 

A thankless task? They get paid an extraordinary amount of money to put in a good performance, regardless of what the fans are doing.

I never understand why I keep going to games in the knowledge that most of the players don't give a shit about the fans. Their wages are completely out of proportion to what they do. Step forward 30 years. Will they be doing the rounds as former players, picking up a few quid for doing sports forums etc? Will they hell!

I never understand why I keep going to games in the knowledge that most of the players don't give a shit about the fans. Their wages are completely out of proportion to what they do. Step forward 30 years. Will they be doing the rounds as former players, picking up a few quid for doing sports forums etc? Will they hell!

Will they be doing coaching and management? Will they hell...

And we already have the fewest coaches

Ignoring the shit referee and shit finish to the game I thought we were great.

It's worth highlighting Vlaar, the numerous bad decisions and our players getting wound up with it all and what did Vlaar seem to do? **** all. He's supposed to be the captain but didn't seem all that bothered.

So what? His right-foot went back to ground before the challenge was made and therefore it wasn't two-footed and not a red card.

So if I took a knife and attacked you with it, as long as my hand lets go of the knife before the contact is made, it isn't a crime and I'm innocent?

It'd be more akin to Benteke raising his hand but withdrawing it before he made contact with the opposition player's face, no? Now I'm no expect, along with most, but the key issue with challenges like Vertonghen's pertains to whether they were in control. The fact that he put his right-foot to ground prior to impact suggests he was and I'd assume the referee saw it like this also.

If you go in 2 footed, studs showing it doesn't really matter if one foot was on the ground and the other wasn't, does it? Even if he didn't connect with the player, that's still a reckless challenge and a potential leg breaker. You see those given once every few weeks (usually it's Lee Cattermole or someone :lol:).

It's worth highlighting Vlaar, the numerous bad decisions and our players getting wound up with it all and what did Vlaar seem to do? **** all. He's supposed to be the captain but didn't seem all that bothered.

Pretty sure he was the first person there calming the players down after Vertonghen's double footer

Pretty sure he was the first person there calming the players down after Vertonghen's double footer

Didn't notice that, just seemed like something throughout the game.

The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Is this a joke?

My point was about support, not money. I highly doubt they are so concerned with their wage they think of it even whilst playing - a bit of support is sometimes nice

The "our fans are immune to criticism because our players get paid so much" arguent is just utterly moronic.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

The players must think their jobs are completely thankless - even when they're winning they receive next to nothing.

Is this a joke?

My point was about support, not money. I highly doubt they are so concerned with their wage they think of it even whilst playing - a bit of support is sometimes nice

The "our fans are immune to criticism because our players get paid so much" arguent is just utterly moronic.

They do get support though. I think you're being overly critical of our fan base. Our fans are just as good/bad as any other Premier League club's fans. But I doubt there's many Premier League clubs who have a home record similar to ours over the past 4 years. I think people are just generally fed up, it's not cheap and the past 4 years have not been enjoyable. The team do get support, when we're playing well they get plenty, it's just few and far between. Do you really blame people for not continually being positive and vocal when we're constantly seeing our team lose? 

• Like 2

Is this a joke?

Who mentioned anything about money?

What I would like to ask though is do you believe they receive less from us than we receive from them?

From my experience (especially with this current team), it makes no odds on whether we sing or not. The vast majority of the time they are hopeless. It's about time gave us something!

He was, that's true, but Vlaar was never pleading our case to the ref yesterday. He stepped in trying to calm our players down but that was it. Westwood and Weimann were doing most of the arguing, and Weimann is so hot-headed I'm not really surprised he's ineffective at it. I agree with adw95 that Vlaar should be doing more for us when decisions don't go our way. He is the captain, and he's one of the coolest heads in the squad, and one of the older players. He should be doing more to protect us when decisions go against us so strongly.

The commentator (at least on the US broadcast of the game) mentioned that Swarbrick was losing control of the game and that he should call the captains together and settle the game down. I am pretty sure those remarks came before Benteke's red card. I can't help but think how differently the game might have turned out if the tension had been diffused earlier and the situation between Mason and Benteke had never happened.

I seem to spend a lot of time on Mondays thinking how differently things might have turned out.

Edited by heid3ster