• Poor
    • Very poor
  3. 3. Refereeing performance

• Very good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very poor

We have a team of incredibly thick footballers.

Benteke cannot raise his hands and the challenge from Sanchez for the free kick was ridiculous. Neither of those actions are the fault of the ref.

I agree, but the ref's lack of decisive action against some very poor moves by Spurs is enough to provoke a lot of frustration. although I believe that we shouldn't give in to it and hurt ourselves by poor decisions, I do think that the ref made it hard for our players to keep composed.

The ref wasn't great I agree, but those two big moments were the fault of those 2 players.  Never mind, we go again.

Ideally they would have been cooler about it and this is what happens when you can't control your temperament. We go again alright, but we're in a very rough spot atm.

Many people commenting about it being our worst run in 47 years. Many people posting in the "Lambert - Out" thread, and also looking for our next manager. I'm not going to get into the parts of that because the bottom line is that we played well today.

We lost 2-1 after going ahead, having multiple close chances (not just creating them), and then losing to a deflection from a pretty poor free kick (Guzan was already across the net before it hit Bakers(?) head).

What I will talk about is the ref, as I voted him poor. Sometimes there is a decision in the game by the ref where it changes everything. A stupid free kick decision, or a peno that never was. This was not the case today.

The ref was poor from start to finish, he failed to control the game, he failed to calm the players down after a fiery 10/20 mins. His fourth official rightly indicated that Benteke should be sent off (read the rules if you disagree with this), but then failed to ALSO follow up on the rules for a 'headbutt' by Mason into Tekkers face.

The ref should have had the game under grips early on but he let it spiral out of control multiple times, and that cost us. Did it cost us just because the ref made the wrong decisions? No. It cost us because he let all the players on the pitch lose their heads, and ultimately, and in my opinion, that was directly responsible for the end result.

Should Premier League players be able to deal with this, and keep an deserved 1-0 lead? Yes. But this is an instance where this didn't happen.

We lost through bad luck, extremely poor refereeing, and a lucky deflection at the last minute.

Saying all the above, when Spurs went 1-1, I stuck an inplay bet for them to win 2-1. Was only a fiver on at 3/1, shoulda done it for 5 grand :P

• Like 3

Never want to see Sanchez in a villa shirt again. Ive seen enough of him now to know he isnt good enough. Can't pass. Can't tackle. Makes rash and idiotic decisions. Cost us this match. Cost us the QPR match. Nearly cost us the Hull game as he gave away the free kick that we conceded from. Awful.

Westwood and Cleverly were both totally ineffective yet again and are not good enough at this level.

Only positive was Benteke...until he gets himself stupidly sent off.

Hahahahahahahaha take off those anti-Sanchez specs donnie.
  • Like 1

Ref lost the game with the vertonghen challenge, as for benteke, I couldn't see what he did or what mason did, I could see that 3 different spurs players kicked him and somehow not one of them was a foul, seemed to me like benteke was bullying them and their response was to kick lumps out of him, we were getting **** all off the ref, add to that the misses, can see why he was frustrated

We should have been out of sight by half time

• Like 1

What's worse about Benteke getting sent off is we now have gabby up front for the next 3 games! We may aswell just give up now.

All is not lost. NZogbia was looking decent and Weimann is always committed. I'd rather not see Gabby on the pitch again though.
Totally agree. For me it has to be wiemann up front with nzogbia and possibly finally giving cole a chance. Gabby offers absolutely nothing, and today proved we are much more threatening with a bit of movement and intelligence up front.
Trouble is, that was probably Zog's one good game for the season.

Anyone saying it's not a red card, it was. Stupid from Benteke.

However, we still looked pretty confortable and then basic errors cost us again. Woeful defending for the first goal and then pathetic clearance attempt and a silly free kick for the 2nd.

Played quite well until we scored, then we were comfortable but still not great. Spurs were awful.

What's worse about Benteke getting sent off is we now have gabby up front for the next 3 games! We may aswell just give up now.

All is not lost. NZogbia was looking decent and Weimann is always committed. I'd rather not see Gabby on the pitch again though.

yes i was pleased when i heard Gabby wasn't starting but now we know he will start at West Ham and theres no pressure on his place for the next 3 games

Many people commenting about it being our worst run in 47 years. Many people posting in the "Lambert - Out" thread, and also looking for our next manager. I'm not going to get into the parts of that because the bottom line is that we played well today.

We lost 2-1 after going ahead, having multiple close chances (not just creating them), and then losing to a deflection from a pretty poor free kick (Guzan was already across the net before it hit Bakers(?) head).

What I will talk about is the ref, as I voted him poor. Sometimes there is a decision in the game by the ref where it changes everything. A stupid free kick decision, or a peno that never was. This was not the case today.

The ref was poor from start to finish, he failed to control the game, he failed to calm the players down after a fiery 10/20 mins. His fourth official rightly indicated that Benteke should be sent off (read the rules if you disagree with this), but then failed to ALSO follow up on the rules for a 'headbutt' by Mason into Tekkers face.

The ref should have had the game under grips early on but he let it spiral out of control multiple times, and that cost us. Did it cost us just because the ref made the wrong decisions? No. It cost us because he let all the players on the pitch lose their heads, and ultimately, and in my opinion, that was directly responsible for the end result.

Should Premier League players be able to deal with this, and keep an deserved 1-0 lead? Yes. But this is an instance where this didn't happen.

We lost through bad luck, extremely poor refereeing, and a lucky deflection at the last minute.

Saying all the above, when Spurs went 1-1, I stuck an inplay bet for them to win 2-1. Was only a fiver on at 3/1, shoulda done it for 5 grand :P

Very rational. But I believe you make your own luck.

It's not about being unlucky, it's about being on a horrendous run that shows no sign of ending. Yes we made chances, but 1 on target against a god awful Spurs team.

The anger for wanting Lambert out is not about today, it's about consistently poor performances

• Like 1

However you look at it was a red card for Benteke. As soon as he did I said to my son, he's off. Whether any Spurs players should have gone for that incident or any other is actually not the point. Benteke was playing a blinder and he he let his team down big time. I agree the ref totally lost control of the game but we lost that game through our own stupidity. First Benteke and then another Sanchez agricultural challenge of the edge of the box. I would have taken him off and put Clark on much earlier as the DM just on the basis he is a more skillful player.

I totally agree that this is not Lambert's fault but would anyone back him to get us out of this mess? One swallow does not make a summer and that is six on the bounce so he still has to go.

• Like 1

I don't get why no villa player was contesting where spurs were taking that free from. Someone should have been in their face trying to get it moved to the correct position.

I thought that! It was maybe 6 or 7 yards further back, giving them more space to get it up and down.

Think we're clutching at straws now. They took it from where the ref marked it. Who's to say it wouldn't have been easier to score if they'd taken it from nearer the D?

Benteke you absolute clown. That is all!

Completely unfair statement. Masons forehead was in his face, looked like it was touching his nose. Mason should have been given a yellow, and perhaps Benteke for reacting but there was nothing in it. 

You really cannot expect to push another player in the face like that and not get a red.

Absolutely spot on.

Very rational. But I believe you make your own luck.

It's not about being unlucky, it's about being on a horrendous run that shows no sign of ending. Yes we made chances, but 1 on target against a god awful Spurs team.

The anger for wanting Lambert out is not about today, it's about consistently poor performances

I'll reply to your points in a 3 part 'bullet' point, not to be condescend in sort of way (that can sometimes come across on the internet), but because faffing around with the coding system to split your reply is a pain in the ass.

1) Yes, I agree that luck is made by oneself, but do you not think we made a decent amount of luck today? But were just somewhat unlucky? If we had been on a run of 5 wins against the top clubs and then lost today, would you feel that 'unlucky' would be the wrong term for the result?

2) I know getting into stats is never an argument that anyone wins. But in the case of today's game, we hit the bar and came close a couple of times. The fact that Tekkers hit the post and it's counted as 'not on target' doesn't mean that we haven't got goal opportunities more than we have for, what, 5 games?

3) I'm completely on the fence about Lambert, I'm neither for, nor against. That being said, can we really attribute today's loss as being down to him?

I don't mean to argue with you, but the gist of my original post was that I think the Ref had a massive part to play in the result, and I don't think Villa did too much wrong.

• Like 1