Paul Lambert

limpid

Just sticking my colours on the mast. I still support Lambert. I don't think it's his fault the mess we're all in and I'd prefer to stick with him.

I agree Darren.

I don't think he's the root of all our problems. In fact I cannot imagine any manager doing any better in the circumstances.

We need changes at the club financially which will hopefully come this summer and I for one would like to see lambert given a season without financial constraints as I think sacking him now after him keeping us safe with a championship team two seasons in a row would be a bit harsh.

I know some people will point out that he signed lower league players etc but with the wage structure as it is that's about all he could do.

You don't think any other manager would do better than 18 defeats in a season and who built that championship team?
No personally I don't. With that wage structure in place I think he's done about as well as he could without pulling up trees

I understand your point and factor that in when I make mine......I think there are managers out there that would have done a better job under the circumstances.....and further more I think his attempt is futile.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

In 2 years lambert has brought in 19 players(including guzan). Of that 19 only 6 started yesterday. Fair enough we have 3 long term injuries to contend with but you argue half what he has brought in have been shit. And to bring in players who arent ready or good enough especially with a tight budget, is a real fuk up on his part. As others have stated he should have promoted the likes of grealish, robinson etc and used what funds he had to better effect., ie; less players more quality. Or less players more wages. Poor management imo and deserved the sack months ago, especially with the standard of football being produced.

• Like 1

We are all of course assuming all these players he has bought are the brown stuff.....how can we be so sure that another manager and his staff could have got a better return from them?

I am dubious.

In 2 years lambert has brought in 19 players(including guzan). Of that 19 only 6 started yesterday. Fair enough we have 3 long term injuries to contend with but you argue half what he has brought in have been shit. And to bring in players who arent ready or good enough especially with a tight budget, is a real fuk up on his part. As others have stated he should have promoted the likes of grealish, robinson etc and used what funds he had to better effect., ie; less players more quality. Or less players more wages. Poor management imo and deserved the sack months ago, especially with the standard of football being produced.

It's all very easy to say with hindsight though. 

I'm not sure fast-tracking reserves into the squad would help either though. It's worked for Southampton but they've not been afraid to spend on high quality players to compliment their own academy examples.

Edited by Chap of Steel

I'm not sure fast-tracking youth players into the squad would help either though. It's worked for Southampton but they've not been afraid to spend on high quality players to compliment their own academy examples.

Our youth team won the 'Next Gen' series and it would be our reserves being promoted to the first team squad not our youth team.

So am i and always have been dubious. I think the majority although understanding of the lack of funds issue still believe the squad are more capable than performances suggest. I speak to a couple of ex villa players regularly who privately cant believe he still has a job.

• Like 2

I'm not sure fast-tracking youth players into the squad would help either though. It's worked for Southampton but they've not been afraid to spend on high quality players to compliment their own academy examples.

Our youth team won the 'Next Gen' series and it would be our reserves being promoted to the first team squad not our youth team.

My mistake, thanks for pointing out 

Some of us have been saying he should've used the NextGen team to bulk out the squad since last season.

The further worry I have is yet again the fans seem way ahead of the directors. We can see things they just seem to fiddle with....yet they have all the information.

It is only a matter of reasonable time before he goes.......this project is dead in the water.

Why procrastinate.....just deal with it and move on.

What are they waiting for?.....divine intervention.

Edited by TRO

When you dont have much money you need to be better at making the most of it. Lambert hasn't done that. As i mentioned earlier in the thread. He has brought in 5 fullbacks for 2 positions and 5 forwards for 1 position. And thats why i say poor management. There is nothing hindsight about it. There is still a lot of waste in the squad especially when we are lacking down the middle and out wide.

• Like 1

The project should have been like Southampton. Bring in the youth and then buy or loan (with the limited funds we had) a few experienced players to lead the way. Barry would have been ideal for one.

Naaaa, forget that, drop all the high earners in the reserves, still pay there wages, reducing there sell on fees (Bent must be worth like 5 mill now??) gamble on lower league players. train them to a standard over two seasons. Then forget everything they have learnt and start playing hoofball believing the wins against Chelsea, Arsenal will never be replicated. 

He's like a cheap mans O'Neil, he has wasted valuble funds on players that cant even get in the squad now.

What are the odds on him being sacked at the end of the season, because its gotta worth putting your house on it, There's no way back from here, Lerner has just promised him his pay off, Guilty, I think so!!!

You only have to look at teams like Southampton, Swansea, Stoke and even Crystal Palace and Hull to see teams with similar resources and expenditure to us who have managed to produce better teams and performances than us.

As already posted, Southampton blooded their youngsters early and made a handful of high profile signings. Swansea have done similar - all be it this season they have gone backwards after sacking their manager too early.

Lerner should have made Lambert show his coaching credentials by getting the best out of the bomb squad members or gradually phased them out once some new players or youth players had slowly been pushed into place with a chance to prove their quality first. All he did was leave a void of experience and talent and then toil for two years to fill it and not succeed. Even when they were at the club and fit Lambert chronically mishandled Ireland, Dunne, Bent and Zog, Cuellar, Collins. Even if you hate those players you'd struggle to say any of the players loaned or sold would NOT do a better job than the current crop of pretenders.

• Like 4

I don't complain much about freezing Hutton and Warnock out as they were A: shit and B: poisonous in the dressing room if rumours are true but he did screw up things with Bent. He should've tried Bent + Benteke more up front but something clearly happened with Lambert and Bent.

Edited by Jarpie

I don't complain much about freezing Hutton and Warnock out as they were A: shit and B: poisonous in the dressing room if rumours are true but he did screw up things with Bent. He should've tried Bent + Benteke more up front but something clearly happened with Lambert and Bent.

Much better to replace two poisonous players with two poisonous coaches. Way to go Lambert.  :)

The project should have been like Southampton. Bring in the youth and then buy or loan (with the limited funds we had) a few experienced players to lead the way. Barry would have been ideal for one.

Naaaa, forget that, drop all the high earners in the reserves, still pay there wages, reducing there sell on fees (Bent must be worth like 5 mill now??) gamble on lower league players. train them to a standard over two seasons. Then forget everything they have learnt and start playing hoofball believing the wins against Chelsea, Arsenal will never be replicated. 

He's like a cheap mans O'Neil, he has wasted valuble funds on players that cant even get in the squad now.

What are the odds on him being sacked at the end of the season, because its gotta worth putting your house on it, There's no way back from here, Lerner has just promised him his pay off, Guilty, I think so!!!

If we get £5million for Darren Bent i'll give £10 to VT, not gonna happen.

The project. Haha what a great thing that was.
Lambert is a fuc#$&g idiot.
Can anyone explain to me why Weimann starts every game when he only averages something like 1 goal every 12 games.
Can anyone explain wht Lambert sticks to these silly tactics at home when everyone ( except him ) seems to realise that they are not working.
As far as some of the comments above about what Lambert could do with the restraints placed upon him and comparing Lambert to Moyes and Pullis.Its really quite simple Moyes and Pullis DID NOT go streight in and get rid of ALL the experience at the start.As far as the $$$ avaiable is concerned surley Lambert was told before he signed on about that, but obviously he decided that he can keep a team in the toughest league in the world by signing bargain basement players.
Err LOL
As the games go on your ability to defend him gets worse and worse.
I don't need to defend him my points are clear on the manager and more importantly the owner. That guy was just funny

You can't defend him and you were
wrong. There was no plan to beambitious again.

The difference between you and I is I don't need to say the same thing over and over again. I never said the plan was to be ambitious either simply spend the same each year but with fewer players of a higher value.

quote]

Just sticking my colours on the mast. I still support Lambert. I don't think it's his fault the mess we're all in and I'd prefer to stick with him.

I agree Darren.

I don't think he's the root of all our problems. In fact I cannot imagine any manager doing any better in the circumstances.

We need changes at the club financially which will hopefully come this summer and I for one would like to see lambert given a season without financial constraints as I think sacking him now after him keeping us safe with a championship team two seasons in a row would be a bit harsh.

I know some people will point out that he signed lower league players etc but with the wage structure as it is that's about all he could do.

You don't think any other manager would do better than 18 defeats in a season and who built that championship team?
No personally I don't. With that wage structure in place I think he's done about as well as he could without pulling up trees
Lambert has already stated that there was no embargo on higher wages within reason. If there had been then neither Benteke or Weimann would have have been given the contracts they are now on.

I just believe that no matter what stat, current placement or bad record put forward those who still think Lambert's project has been a success will continue to be in denial even if he is sacked.

• Like 1

In the end he has built a very poor team over 2 seasons, limited funds or not its rubbish to say no other manager could have done a better job. My belief is a manager with a bit of vision and tactically aware, it could have been a really good project to coach and build a younger team. Lambert's a falier and will be gone at the end of the season new owners or not!

Â