Paul Lambert

limpid

Which silly tactics?

Narrow diamond with no width, 3 at the back and long ball football are a few.

Do you really think he's doing nothing wrong?

3 at the back has done well for us at times. No way we beat City with a back 4.

Which silly tactics?

I could add our formation when chasing the game against Bradford in the semi final last season - four centre forwards in a line about two yards apart.

Plus bizarre and occasionally pointless substitutions.

Plus paying players out of position.

Plus no Plan B.

Plus persisting with woefully inadequate players when other options exist.

• Like 1

Lambert should stay. Silly to fire a manager so late into a season. Every manager has a rough spell. Rodgers when he was at Reading. Now he is top of the league with Liverpool. Ferguson in his early years at Manchester United having had success with all his clubs up until then. If Villa gets relegated, who else is better than Lambert to get the team back up anyway? Yes, it is ugly football, but for the love of Villa, I believe Lambert has learned a lesson or two this season about both himself and player psychology. I have a bad feeling about getting rid of him as a manager, because like those examples above, it shows you that you that good managers learn from bad experiences, and I don't want another team getting the benefits of this.

You may well be correct, but is it fair to demand the regular grief of 35000 strangers over 2 years as sponsorship of your Open University course?

Lambert should stay. Silly to fire a manager so late into a season. Every manager has a rough spell. Rodgers when he was at Reading. Now he is top of the league with Liverpool. Ferguson in his early years at Manchester United having had success with all his clubs up until then. If Villa gets relegated, who else is better than Lambert to get the team back up anyway? Yes, it is ugly football, but for the love of Villa, I believe Lambert has learned a lesson or two this season about both himself and player psychology. I have a bad feeling about getting rid of him as a manager, because like those examples above, it shows you that you that good managers learn from bad experiences, and I don't want another team getting the benefits of this.

That has to be extreme trolling, surely?

And for the last time, Ferguson's 'early years' weren't as bad as is made out when trotted out in debates like this.  He came second in his second year.  And Lambert clearly never, ever learns anything, and I'd be more than willing to gamble on him going off and being the next Ferguson somewhere else.

Man come on....

Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked. Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.

You may well be correct, but is it fair to demand the regular grief of 35000 strangers over 2 years as sponsorship of your Open University course?

It's not like Villa are going to win anything anyway, so why not keep him? They clearly have a project going on so why not continue.

It's not like Villa are going to win anything anyway, so why not keep him? They clearly have a project going on so why not continue.

Because the project has utterly failed in every way.

I'm not quite sure what this project is. Players getting worse, results getting worse, potentially losing at least half of our games this year. There is no hope under the current regime.

I'm not quite sure what this project is. Players getting worse, results getting worse, potentially losing at least half of our games this year. There is no hope under the current regime.

I know it stinks at the moment. We all see that the restructure of the club itself has cost a lot of energy. It needs to be completed, and I am for Lambert to complete his contract before we say if it was successful or not.

Ah yes...the fabled "project". It's been a while since that one was last rolled out.

Lamberts toast now - whatever happens - Prem\Championship\Takeover - H'es done here and I am sure he knows it.

But we have to reign in all talk of projects\plans - it just not that complex - put the best team out you possibly can for the next season - Never mind if player x is a prospect in a few years, or players taking years to 'gel'  - The vast majority of the focus should be on the following season......

Lambert is a fuc#$&g idiot.

Can anyone explain to me why Weimann starts every game when he only averages something like 1 goal every 12 games.

Can anyone explain wht Lambert sticks to these silly tactics at home when everyone ( except him ) seems to realise that they are not working.

As far as some of the comments above about what Lambert could do with the restraints placed upon him and comparing Lambert to Moyes and Pullis.Its really quite simple Moyes and Pullis DID NOT go streight in and get rid of ALL the experience at the start.As far as the $$$ avaiable is concerned surley Lambert was told before he signed on about that, but obviously he decided that he can keep a team in the toughest league in the world by signing bargain basement players.

Err LOL
As the games go on your ability to defend him gets worse and worse.

I don't need to defend him my points are clear on the manager and more importantly the owner. That guy was just funny

The fact Lambert is still in a job only adds credence to the club being sold in my opinion. Why sack him and pay compensation when you can let his contract expire at the end of the season and pay nothing? Why bring in a new Manager now when the new owners may have a clear idea of who they want to bring in?

Of course on the flipside, If I was the likes of Moyes I would wait until the season finishes to see where Villa end up before taking on the role. There will be vacancies come season end so keep your powder dry and see which is most attractive (probably Spuds for Moyes)

The project. Haha what a great thing that was.

Lambert is a fuc#$&g idiot.

Can anyone explain to me why Weimann starts every game when he only averages something like 1 goal every 12 games.

Can anyone explain wht Lambert sticks to these silly tactics at home when everyone ( except him ) seems to realise that they are not working.

As far as some of the comments above about what Lambert could do with the restraints placed upon him and comparing Lambert to Moyes and Pullis.Its really quite simple Moyes and Pullis DID NOT go streight in and get rid of ALL the experience at the start.As far as the $$$ avaiable is concerned surley Lambert was told before he signed on about that, but obviously he decided that he can keep a team in the toughest league in the world by signing bargain basement players.

Err LOL
As the games go on your ability to defend him gets worse and worse.
I don't need to defend him my points are clear on the manager and more importantly the owner. That guy was just funny

You can't defend him and you were wrong. There was no plan to be ambitious again.

I've been in the Lambert camp thus far, but he needs to go now.  I feel with him here we're unlikely to get anything from our last 3 games, but with Sid in charge we may see that 'new manager syndrome' that will see us safe.

I also think playing Robinson in the last two games is Sid's influence, so maybe we'll see a different setup for the close of the season. I think it's a no brainer if honest.

The project is, in my opinion, nothing more than a clever PR ploy to make it seem like we're constantly improving.

Finishing where we did last season wasn't great but many saw it as a springboard to success. If we were to finish around 13th this season then Villa could still just about paint it as progression again.

In my opinion, though, Villa have no plans to build on the newly-lowered wage bill and finishing around the bottom of the table is the height of ambition for Lerner-run Villa.

Edited by Chap of Steel

Which silly tactics?

No, I'm just not qualified to say what's good or bad tactics. Doesn't a narrow diamond allow you to win the midfield, the most important area? Allowing players like Westwood and Delph to control the midfield against better players?

3/5 at the back has worked before and it's what I'd play on Saturday. We look decidedly more solid defensively like that.

Finally, isn't everyone saying we should play long ball football as it's the most effective with limited players? Like Pulis is doing with Palace?

When fans can't agree what's good or bad tactics, who's qualified to say if they're right or wrong?

Problem is playing the diamond hasn't worked has it? Westwood, delp and kea still get bullied week after week. Also i think games are won and lost through performances all over the pitch not just midfield. Ask the defence after yesterday.

Playing 3 centre backs against hull at home will just invite pressure at the back especially when we need to win or have the mentallity of winning. A defensive set up will imo send the wrong signal to the players and fans.

Pulis isn't playing long ball football with palace currently. If you watch them you will see they are getting men behind the ball and break quickly from wide with puncheon and ballassi as their main outlet. What pulis is doing is playing to the players strengths something we just dont do.

Â