Paul Lambert

limpid

The original expectation of Lambert was based on the budget given to the two previous, inferior managers, and considering the drop in available budget, some have sensibly lowered their expectation level.

Houllier I will give you. He had the best part of 30 mill to spend and dramatically increased the wage bill. However McLeish brought in 37 mill and spent around 16 mill whilst cutting the wage bill.

In terms of a net transfer budget compared to McLeish Lambert has had a lot more to spend. Where he of course has been hindered is in terms of the wages we are willing to pay.

McLeish reducing the wage bill really? He added N'Zogbia, Given, Jenas and Hutton while still having Collins, Dunne,Cuellar, Heskey, Petrov, Warnock on the books. Add Bent and Ireland to the ranks too.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

The original expectation of Lambert was based on the budget given to the two previous, inferior managers, and considering the drop in available budget, some have sensibly lowered their expectation level.

Houllier I will give you. He had the best part of 30 mill to spend and dramatically increased the wage bill. However McLeish brought in 37 mill and spent around 16 mill whilst cutting the wage bill.

In terms of a net transfer budget compared to McLeish Lambert has had a lot more to spend. Where he of course has been hindered is in terms of the wages we are willing to pay.

McLeish reducing the wage bill really? He added N'Zogbia, Given, Jenas and Hutton while still having Collins, Dunne,Cuellar, Heskey, Petrov, Warnock on the books. Add Bent and Ireland to the ranks too.

McLeish sold Downing, Ash Young, Luke Young. Reo Coker and Freidel left on frees. The wages of those 5 would have been around 250k - 300k a week.

• Like 1

McLeish sold Downing, Ash Young, Luke Young. Reo Coker and Freidel left on frees. The wages of those 5 would have been around 250k - 300k a week.

Reo Coker and Friedel had been removed before McLeish even got there. Luke Young wages were replaced by adding Hutton. Also do you honestly think McLeish had a say in selling Young or Downing, I don't.

Reo Coker and Friedel had been removed before McLeish even got there. Luke Young wages were replaced by adding Hutton. Also do you honestly think McLeish had a say in selling Young or Downing, I don't.

I am not saying he had a say in any transfers. Certainly not those going out.

What I am saying is that the previous seasons squad contained Ash Young, Luke Young, Downing, Freidel, Reo Coker and Carew who I forgot in my previous list. They all made significant contributions in terms of appearances and in the case of Ash, Downing and Freidel they were arguably our three best players at the time.

Those six players and their 300k+ a week wages were replaced with Given, Hutton, NZogbia and the loan signing of Jenas. Those 4 players would have been on under 200k a week I would imagine. Therefore compared to the previous season the wage bill would have been reduced.

Edited by markavfc40

We have been reducing the wage bill since MON's departure.

The wage bill went up dramatically the season after he left. Bent and Makoun were signed permanently. We also signed Pires, Walker and Bradley either short term or on loan.

The only two significant players to leave were Davies and Sidwell.

The extreme cost cutting started at the end of that season.

I am not saying he had a say in any transfers. Certainly not those going out.

What I am saying is that the previous seasons squad contained Ash Young, Luke Young, Downing, Freidel, Reo Coker and Carew who I forgot in my previous list. They all made significant contributions in terms of appearances and in the case of Ash, Downing and Freidel they were arguably our three best players at the time.

Those six players and their 300k+ a week wages were replaced with Given, Hutton, NZogbia and the loan signing of Jenas. Those 4 players would have been on under 200k a week I would imagine. Therefore compared to the previous season the wage bill would have been reduced.

Those players you keep mentioning as in NRC and Freidel had gone prior to AM joining. As for Carew, Houllier had sent him on loan to Stoke, so we never paid his wages for the final 6months. Wage bill had decreased but AM didn't really have a lot to do with it.

It actually went up this year though.

Prove it to me.

The wage bill went up dramatically the season after he left. Bent and Makoun were signed permanently. We also signed Pires, Walker and Bradley either short term or on loan.

Milner went too.

Prove it to me.

Milner went too.

Yes he did. And Ireland was signed most likely on more money than Milner was on when he left.

• Like 2

Prove it to me.

Go and have a look in the Accounts thread.  It's there in black and white.

Total staff costs last year were  £69.6m, this year were £71.9m.

• Like 1

Prove it to me.

Go and have a look in the Accounts thread. It's there in black and white.

Total staff costs last year were £69.6m, this year were £71.9m.

The tea lady had a pay rise.

The original expectation of Lambert was based on the budget given to the two previous, inferior managers,

Really? There were plenty absolutly creaming their pants over what Lambert did in his first transfer window and certainly the relegation thread last year showed what people first expected from him.

My point exactly.

Well to be honest I can't stand possession for possessions sake football and I'm by no means a fan of hoofball

possession football is only ever one pass away from being branded perfect football
  • Like 1

Well to be honest I can't stand possession for possessions sake football and I'm by no means a fan of hoofball

possession football is only ever one pass away from being branded perfect football

Unless it's that crappy pass it along the back four (and keeper) possession football, in which case its only a bit of pressure on the ball and a panic away from being hoofball.

There is no 'perfect' football, as each game is different. You could say what we did against Citeh was perfect in that game for example, if we had tried to play possession football against them we would have been annihilated. 

Prove it to me.

Go and have a look in the Accounts thread.  It's there in black and white.

Total staff costs last year were  £69.6m, this year were £71.9m.

Playing staff?

Â