Paul Lambert

limpid

I do find it strange that people who openly admit Lambert isn't great and wouldn't be bothered if he was sacked jump on pretty much every comment saying he should be sacked. Almost like they just want to argue for the sake of it.

If you're not bothered if he was sacked why are you so bothered about people who say he should be sacked?

What, having a discussion on an internet forum? You're right - why bother.

Another quality interpretation.

Well, you had a go at for me for discussing it.  It's like you've got a personal vendetta.

• Like 1

Surely a few names would be helpful for us who think it's worth keeping Lambert to be convinced otherwise? It has to be someone we could bring in straight away when we sack him and can provide consistent football. It has to be someone who can get this squad playing attacking football whilst staying defensively sound, and spending any money he gets as wisely as Lambert has. Preferably without having to pay a fortune in compensation.

TBH if it was only managers I'm currently aware of it wouldn't fill me with much hope. Like others have said I'd hope tom fox and whoever he has helping him would have a much wider knowledge of managers around Europe.

We actually have a decent base for a new manager to come into and Lambert deserves credit for that. We need a coach. Not someone like Mon and Lambert who stay away from the training ground. We can't just buy top players so we need someone whose going to come and work with and improve the players. Who has different ideas on how to approach different types of teams.

Pretty sure Tom Fox was hired based on his business acumen wasn't he? I think its a bit naive to think that the team of Randolph and Fox will be scouring the world for the next best manager which is why they gave Lambert a new bumper deal.

• Like 1

How about that French guy, former Lyon currently linked (tenuously) with Newcastle.

I've no idea if he'd come of course, but there's a name. Kind of! There are literally hundreds of top flight managers knocking about the various leagues. Hundreds of names for you to pick.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Remi Garde? That's not a bad shout to match the criteria. He worked under Houllier originally, a combo of Garde as first team coach and Houllier as director of football would be interesting. I'm not sure what his goals are though having stood down from Lyon, and I don't really have a clue of how successful he actually was.

How about that French guy, former Lyon currently linked (tenuously) with Newcastle.

I've no idea if he'd come of course, but there's a name. Kind of! There are literally hundreds of top flight managers knocking about the various leagues. Hundreds of names for you to pick.

Christophe Galtier? He looks like the French Tony Pulis:

200px-Christophe_Galtier_%2803-08-2011%2

• Like 1

Yeah but his name sounds so fancy!

Yeah but his name sounds so fancy!

He smells bad though

If the strongest argument to be made for keeping Lambert is "better the devil you know" then he really has lost the fan base.

I don't think he has lost the fan base entirely, but it's getting that way and, as I said earlier somewhere, that's the most important thing as a manager.  Irrespective of results - if the fans are against you, you've had it.

The other day I randomly watched the highlights of when we beat Norwich 4-1 in the Cup.

Quite how we regressed from the attacking football shown there under Lambert, for example, is surely one of the great Villa mysteries..

It wasn't in the cup was it? The one where Hoolihan scored first?

The problem with comparing that game is it's very easy to focus upon the score line. We scored all four goals in a matter of minutes that were crazy and alien to villa park. The rest of the game, we were dreadful. Especially the 2nd half.

There was moments in the Sunderland game where we could have bagged a few in a matter of minutes. The chances of that occurring are miniscule and when you don't manage it in the 10/15 mins of half decent play you show in a match, you draw blanks.

I'd be hard pushed to take every game lamberts been in charge of and find a combined 90 minutes of us actually playing well.

If we win, it's more often than not, because the opposition, are somehow even worse.

I find my feelings very strange. I'm not impressed at all, I don't actually want to stand another second of this shit, yet I genuinely don't have the energy to even voice it with much anger towards lambert.

It's like the life in terms of following villa has been sucked out of me, and I'm not actually sure I give a shit anymore.

• Like 1

If the strongest argument to be made for keeping Lambert is "better the devil you know" then he really has lost the fan base.

I don't think he has lost the fan base entirely, but it's getting that way and, as I said earlier somewhere, that's the most important thing as a manager. Irrespective of results - if the fans are against you, you've had it.

Pretty much yes.

I've been a bit of a barometer for managers if I do say so myself. I tend to stick by them longer than many, stretching all the way back to Taylor MK II, perhaps even further (though we had much better managers before him who were perhaps unlucky to lose their jobs, in the main). That goes for O'Leary, O'Neill, Houllier, even McLeish to some extent. It seems that when they finally lose me, they're gone within weeks.

Lambert has lost me and what troubles me is that for once he might not go and I might have to suffer like many of you have for months, perhaps even years, with a manager and a style of football I'm truly unhappy with.

The other day I randomly watched the highlights of when we beat Norwich 4-1 in the Cup.

Quite how we regressed from the attacking football shown there under Lambert, for example, is surely one of the great Villa mysteries..

The problem with comparing that game is it's very easy to focus upon the score line. We scored all four goals in a matter of minutes that were crazy and alien to villa park. The rest of the game, we were dreadful. Especially the 2nd half.

There was moments in the Sunderland game where we could have bagged a few in a matter of minutes. The chances of that occurring are miniscule and when you don't manage it in the 10/15 mins of half decent play you show in a match, you draw blanks.

I'd be hard pushed to take every game lamberts been in charge of and find a combined 90 minutes of us actually playing well.

If we win, it's more often than not, because the opposition, are somehow even worse.

Well it was in the cup and it was at Carrow road so you've had a bit of a mare there.

Well it was in the cup and it was at Carrow road so you've had a bit of a mare there.

Not really, we beat Norwich 4-1 at villa park last season. I'd forgotten about the cup game, tho I don't think I've had a mare tbh.

Pretty easy mistake to make, and I stand by the points highlighted in the post.

Apologies to chap of steel for mis interpreting the game he was talking about tho.

18 games left. We play Liverpool, Everton, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United and Spurs - teams who spend more, so impossible to beat. That leaves 11 games to get 20 points, we currently manager just over a point over game.

We are in trouble. This should not happen with this team!

You make valid points and then say garbage like "so impossible to beat" or "should not happen with this team".

There is nothing to suggest either of these is true - certainly not the former and we're currently not in trouble!

I'm in awe of your optimism

Â