Paul Lambert

limpid

So basically with or without Lambert, expect to struggle from now on?

As long as Lerner is here, yes I think we're going to struggle.

I think Lambert should go at the end of the season though regardless.

You're probably right but to be fair to Lambert I do think he has managed to assemble a better squad than the one he inherited. Plus the average age is a lot younger so there is room for further improvement.

But it's definitely time for a change and new approach.

He has assembled a good squad and the results are even worse and thats obviously his problem, he had so much patience in his first year and a bit because fans were understanding of the situation which is why they refused to boo then and are doing so now.

So basically with or without Lambert, expect to struggle from now on?

As long as Lerner is here, yes I think we're going to struggle.

I think Lambert should go at the end of the season though regardless.

You're probably right but to be fair to Lambert I do think he has managed to assemble a better squad than the one he inherited. Plus the average age is a lot younger so there is room for further improvement.

But it's definitely time for a change and new approach.

He has assembled a good squad and the results are even worse and thats obviously his problem, he had so much patience in his first year and a bit because fans were understanding of the situation which is why they refused to boo then and are doing so now.

And that's the point really as his first season was a honeymoon period where our expectations were low and we all recognised that he had loads of issues to sort out. We all expected the following season to show some progress, which it did not and again this season. Arguably we have gone backwards this season and that is against a background of having a better squad. No one is saying we should be challenging for Europe any time soon (unless you are Tom Fox) but I don't thing we expected to be fighting relegation.

We can and do agree endlessly about Lerner's culpability in this whole sorry saga, for me at least the buck ultimately stops with him, but he does not coach the players, decide tactics and formations or pick the side each week. Sadly Lambert has been found wanting in his management of the side. Personally I don't think he will get the boot before the end of the season which is a huge gamble by Lerner. I agree changing manager is too but I for one think its a gamble worth taking as I just don't see Lambert saving us.

Hindsight is always easy but the job, accepting the challenges and limitations he was no doubt fully aware when he was recruited, is simply too big for him. 

• Like 2

The most important stat is that we stuck with Lambert the last two seasons and he kept us up. Lerner will also have in mind that sticking with Mcleish and Houllier during the season paid off as well, in terms of avoiding relegation.

He didn't keep us up. Its teams below us that saved our season, will be the same this time, not Lambert's genius.

That's like saying to the Champions (whoever they may be at any given time) that they're only Champions because the teams below them weren't good enough.

They were'nt .

So, how do we think he has done up till now? If some of you guys still think he should be here, we will need detailed justification to back up opinions please.

Why?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

The rest of this month and March are going to be massive for us. 18 points up for grabs and all against teams that we need to be picking up points from. Pretty confident that 40 points won't be the required total to stay up this season but if we finish with less points that our previous 2 seasons that is really poor.

• Like 3

The most important stat is that we stuck with Lambert the last two seasons and he kept us up. Lerner will also have in mind that sticking with Mcleish and Houllier during the season paid off as well, in terms of avoiding relegation.

He didn't keep us up. Its teams below us that saved our season, will be the same this time, not Lambert's genius.

That's like saying to the Champions (whoever they may be at any given time) that they're only Champions because the teams below them weren't good enough.

Yes, but that is correct, the teams below them weren't good enough.

lol.

The main point is the reason we haven't been relegated under Lambert is because he's managed to make us a better team than three other teams in the division.

When Usain Bolt wins a gold medal people don't say the other runners saved his Gold because they weren't good enough to run under 9 seconds (or what ever it is). Both Bolt and Lambert finish ahead of the pack because they're the leaders of the pack. (In Lambert's case I'm referring to the bottom three of course)

• Like 1

I know Mourinho's comments had an ulterior motive but there is some truth in what he says. We have under performed so far this season. We are now in a run of games that we should pick up points from with a virtually full squad there is now no more excuses for Lambert. If he can't get us performing by the time we play Albion you'd think he'd do the decent thing and resign. Lerner won't sack him through loyalty however misguided that is so I think only a resignation would do. Saying that we could lose the next 6 games and I'd expect Lambert to say we was excellent!!

The main point is the reason we haven't been relegated under Lambert is because he's managed to make us a better team than three other teams in the division.

When Usain Bolt wins a gold medal people don't say the other runners saved his Gold because they weren't good enough to run under 9 seconds (or what ever it is). Both Bolt and Lambert finish ahead of the pack because they're the leaders of the pack. (In Lambert's case I'm referring to the bottom three of course)

I think of it like this if you can't get 40+'points you don't deserve to be in the league. If you stay up with less points than that it's because there is worse teams than you. It's not because you're good. If you want to be positive you're the best of a crap lot but ultimately not getting over 40 points year after year will get you relegated because one year there won't be 3 worse teams. I think this year we will scrape through but only just and probably with our lowest points total ever. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I just keep thinking of that 2009 season when Newcastle got relegated. They probably thought they had players who were too good to be in a relegation scrap.

maybe but our players are used to these scraps now, Vlaar, Delph, Benteke, Agbonlahor, Guzan even Gil and Sanchez. It isnt their 1st time at the dance

Im not commeting today, I think I will give you lot a day off.  My idea is to let tomorrows result to do the talking. I think the game will be a true reflection of where we are.  

One things for sure, it'll be busy on here if we lose, an for me he will deserve everything thrown at him.

• Like 1

Im not commeting today, I think I will give you lot a day off.  My idea is to let tomorrows result to do the talking. I think the game will be a true reflection of where we are.  

One things for sure, it'll be busy on here if we lose, an for me he will deserve everything thrown at him.

It will be the usual state of affairs regardless of the result.  Let's not kid ourselves any differently ;)

Martinez kept doing that with Wigan until they eventually came up against better teams!

Give us a day off from what exactly?

I think we will draw or scrape a win and there'll be grumblings from both sides of the fence. It will continue like that until the end of the season where we will stay up, probably with one of the worst goal differences and with 2 or 3 points to spare.

Following the above we will get the usual pat on the back from Lerner and Fox will make a statement saying how it was right to stick by their man and now we can all look forward to a good pre-season and a better season next time around.

In other words - groundhog day!

In other, other words - we go again!!

Â