Paul Lambert

limpid

In fairness, hardly any of the managerial changes that happened down the bottom last season actually worked out. Fulham changed managers twice and still went down. Cardiff changed and went down. Norwich changed and went down. Funnily enough, all the managers that were at those clubs at the end of the season have also since left.

I'm not saying that Lambert should stay by the way, but I can see why Lerner is averse to getting rid of him in the middle of the season.

That's very true but why not mention Palace, Sunderland, Swansea and Albion who all changed their manager and stayed up?

Not to mention that Norwich went down due to sticking with Hughton until too late. The new manager came in with only five games left and the damage had been done by then.

The most important stat is that we stuck with Lambert the last two seasons and he kept us up. Lerner will also have in mind that sticking with Mcleish and Houllier during the season paid off as well, in terms of avoiding relegation.

Not to mention that Norwich went down due to sticking with Hughton until too late. The new manager came in with only five games left and the damage had been done by then.

Wasn't that more to do with their horrendous run in though?

Precisely, Hughton had screwed up their winnable fixtures.

The most important stat is that we stuck with Lambert the last two seasons and he kept us up. Lerner will also have in mind that sticking with Mcleish and Houllier during the season paid off as well, in terms of avoiding relegation.

You're right and he will probably keep us up again. But it doesn't make supporting Aston Villa any bearable right now.

Doesn't mean you can keep getting away with it because it worked for the previous seasons. I see what you're saying and the way Lerner probably see's it but its a dangerous game and in all honesty he should have cut his losses with Lambert after the first season and certainly after the second yet here we are as awful as ever and hes sitting on a new deal.

• Like 1

Wasn't that more to do with their horrendous run in though?

Precisely, Hughton had screwed up their winnable fixtures.

Fair point.

• Like 1

In fairness, hardly any of the managerial changes that happened down the bottom last season actually worked out. Fulham changed managers twice and still went down. Cardiff changed and went down. Norwich changed and went down. Funnily enough, all the managers that were at those clubs at the end of the season have also since left.

I'm not saying that Lambert should stay by the way, but I can see why Lerner is averse to getting rid of him in the middle of the season.

That's very true but why not mention Palace, Sunderland, Swansea and Albion who all changed their manager and stayed up?

Swansea weren't in any real relegation trouble when they got rid of Laudrup and IIRC neither were West Brom when they sacked Clarke (may be wrong on the latter though). Even still, nothing improved under Mel and he too ended up leaving at the end of the season.

Crystal Palace and Sunderland were obvious ones that worked out although Pulis left Palace in the summer and while Sunderland managed to stay up under Poyet, they've been struggling all this season just like us.

Wasn't we struggling at the end of Brian little's reign....Gregory came in and won 9 of the remaining 11 games.

can we get history to repeat itself?

Perhaps not.

So basically with or without Lambert, expect to struggle from now on?

As long as Lerner is here, yes I think we're going to struggle.

I think Lambert should go at the end of the season though regardless.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 2

So basically with or without Lambert, expect to struggle from now on?

As long as Lerner is here, yes I think we're going to struggle.

I think Lambert should go at the end of the season though regardless.

You're probably right but to be fair to Lambert I do think he has managed to assemble a better squad than the one he inherited. Plus the average age is a lot younger so there is room for further improvement.

But it's definitely time for a change and new approach.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

One thing I did see that I havn't seen for weeks.....yes a goal, but more importantly the way it was scored.

ball comes in (after player beats his man) to space rather than a head....player attacks the space by way of movement and meets the ball aiming for the same space.....bingo.

we need to learn how to move in to space and players on the ball play in to space.

playing to feet is fine but you eventually get closed down, it becomes predictable....it needs to be mixed up.

Edited by TRO

He didn't keep us up. Its teams below us that saved our season, will be the same this time, not Lambert's genius.

im sure West Brom stayed up in spite of Pepe Mel and Swansea were never really in any danger

He didn't keep us up. Its teams below us that saved our season, will be the same this time, not Lambert's genius.

That's like saying to the Champions (whoever they may be at any given time) that they're only Champions because the teams below them weren't good enough.

Â