Paul Lambert

limpid

I have a question. If we lose to Bournemouth, Arsenal and Chelsea, does anyone think that Lerner will shock us all and sack Lambert?

If we lose these 3 games (which isn't unrealistic, at all), we will have suffered another loss to a lower league team (albeit a team on the up), we will have lost 5 games in a row, we'll have not won for 10 league games and we'll probably be in the bottom 3.

Does anyone think Lerner will drop the axe, trying to protect his investment, and do what he's never done before? Sacking a manager mid-season?

Fingers crossed

• Like 3

The chelsea game will be his 100th pl game in charge.

Every stat over those 100 games looks awful. Points, goals, goals conceded.

100 games is a long time in modern football. More than enough to see the poor job he's done.

I know I am leaving myself wide open for someone to come back at me and say the Liverpool team cost x amount of millions but that for me yesterday was one of the poorest Liverpool sides I have seen for a good few years. Especially defensively where they looked very shaky.

I thought they looked solid defensively (unlike us actually, for a change) and Skrtel in particular had a very good game.  Their movement up front was very good first half and they should've probably scored more.

Liverpool being defensively weak is such a huge myth.

• Like 2

He won't be here next season

If he survives until the summer it will be a miracle

He's not going anywhere. Lerner doesn't care and he's content with how things are going.

I really have admiration for Lambert's ability to have confidence that he's doing the right thing and to stick with it despite early setbacks. This is one of the things that makes a great manager.

Of course it's even more important that what the manager thinks is the right thing IS the right thing, and that's where he's maybe failing :)

But our main problem is psychological at the moment. It might not be our only problem, but I don't think anyone can say we're not worth a lot more goals than we're getting.

I've little doubt that a new manager would get us scoring goals in the short term, because of the psychology of it, but form is temporary and class is permanent.

The best scenario for me is that Lambert makes a very shrewd selection for his assistant: At the very least someone with experience, whose coaching and reading of team selection, tactics and formations offers Lambert an alternative to his own thinking. That way we get the best of all worlds.

Next assistant?! What like the 2 previous assistants? I think your pissing in the wind. I think also your comment about Lambert sticking with what he's doing despite early setbacks is a little stupid to be honest. Not sure if you have realised but this isn't early in his managerial position at the villa, were over 2 years down the line with no improvement. Your admiration for Lambert is baffling, for a start, a great manager he is not!

Just about every one of the shortcomings Lambert has or is accused of having would disappear if he had the right kind of assistant.

Maybe a better manager wouldn't need this, but seeing as Lerner doesn't want to sack him it might be the best and most realistic way to get Aston Villa winning games again, which SHOULD be what we want above all.

If you think I've called him a great manager you either haven't read properly or haven't been able to follow the logic of what I did say.

He's not going anywhere. Lerner doesn't care and he's content with how things are going.

What content with falling attendances and us being relegated?

He's a businessman and he must protect his investment

Interesting article from 2012...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2248366/Paul-Lambert-thinks-Aston-Villa-Europe-years.html

Lambert believes Villa can be challenging for Europe if they follow his three year plan

Not going well is it Paul? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2189957/Aston-Villa-boss-Paul-Lambert-takes-swipe-Alex-McLeish.html

This is my favourite got us scoring like Barcelona haven't you Paul?

Edited by AshVilla

I know I am leaving myself wide open for someone to come back at me and say the Liverpool team cost x amount of millions but that for me yesterday was one of the poorest Liverpool sides I have seen for a good few years. Especially defensively where they looked very shaky.

I thought they looked solid defensively (unlike us actually, for a change) and Skrtel in particular had a very good game.  Their movement up front was very good first half and they should've probably scored more.

Liverpool being defensively weak is such a huge myth.

I can only say from my vantage point in the ground then to me they were very shaky. I lost count of the amount of times we got in behind them, Gabby down the left and Hutton and Weimann down the right especially and on a number of occasions they were simply scrambling to get the ball away. However that is a discussion for the match thread I guess as like I said this isn't the thread really for looking at games in isolation.

What content with falling attendances and us being relegated?

He's a businessman and he must protect his investment

Well crowds have been dropping for a while and he doesn't care. Relegation would seem him sacked but given how poor the league is we could even avoid relegation. If Lambert manages to keep us up and we haven't been sold I'm 99% sure he'll still be here in the summer. Rinse and repeat.

Lerner is content to keep us scraping for our lives every season until someone is ready to buy the club, which doesn't seem to be likely to happen in the near future.

Interesting article from 2012...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2248366/Paul-Lambert-thinks-Aston-Villa-Europe-years.html

Lambert believes Villa can be challenging for Europe if they follow his three year plan

Not going well is it Paul? 

"....You have to progress, you can’t stand still. You have to keep going."

Be interested to see us against Bournemouth.

Liverpool beat them by playing on the counter and still could've conceded a few.

Will Lambert change his philosophy of playing all the players (except the two who can't cross) in the middle? 

Â