Paul Lambert

limpid

No amount of stats, records etc thrown at me could change my view that Lambert has had an horrendous time of it working under Lerner and Faulkner. (Can't comment on Fox yet)

If (when) Lambert gets sacked, his career will be lost in the managerial wilderness just as it has been with Gregory, O'Leary, O'Neill and McLeish. Are you telling me that all of those names plus Lambert are completely clueless, inept managers? No chance, not having it. 

This is an absolutely impossible club to manage given the expectations placed on the guy, coupled with the support he gets from above and from the crowd.

There is no way this club can have designs on the top 4/5 any more, not with the squads and finances we are competing against the way they are. Then the next expectation is that we should at least be a solid top half team capable of threatening to win a trophy - again a pretty impossible ask in this climate, unless we would match/out-gun the spending power of those around us, which we have failed to do for almost 3 years now.

Lambert came here with a fantastic record, and the reputation as a guy who could work on a budget with young players. He was the right choice at the time. It hasn't worked out for him, and he has admittedly set some bad bad records and made some horrible mistakes in his time here. Those will probably be the reasons he is sacked.

Then the vicious circle will start again. Fans will be boosted by news of his sacking, flood social media and such with positive comments about new appointments and someone will come in with a welcome. Then the guy will struggle in the tough, unforgiving lion's den of the Premier League with no backing and discontented fans, and another 2/3 years will have gone.

No manager can win at this club.  

I think you are spot on.

No amount of stats, records etc thrown at me could change my view that Lambert has had an horrendous time of it working under Lerner and Faulkner. (Can't comment on Fox yet)

If (when) Lambert gets sacked, his career will be lost in the managerial wilderness just as it has been with Gregory, O'Leary, O'Neill and McLeish. Are you telling me that all of those names plus Lambert are completely clueless, inept managers? No chance, not having it. 

This is an absolutely impossible club to manage given the expectations placed on the guy, coupled with the support he gets from above and from the crowd.

There is no way this club can have designs on the top 4/5 any more, not with the squads and finances we are competing against the way they are. Then the next expectation is that we should at least be a solid top half team capable of threatening to win a trophy - again a pretty impossible ask in this climate, unless we would match/out-gun the spending power of those around us, which we have failed to do for almost 3 years now.

Lambert came here with a fantastic record, and the reputation as a guy who could work on a budget with young players. He was the right choice at the time. It hasn't worked out for him, and he has admittedly set some bad bad records and made some horrible mistakes in his time here. Those will probably be the reasons he is sacked.

Then the vicious circle will start again. Fans will be boosted by news of his sacking, flood social media and such with positive comments about new appointments and someone will come in with a welcome. Then the guy will struggle in the tough, unforgiving lion's den of the Premier League with no backing and discontented fans, and another 2/3 years will have gone.

In response to your post which certain points are fair comment, especially about the backing recieved. The managers you mentioned all lost their way in some form. The merry-go-round you talk about happens at most clubs up and down the leagues. And of the managers you mentioned which one went on to bigger and better things if indeed they were that great? Managers peak(or not) and then stagnate, fluctuate etc. Some clubs their methods work others they don't. Most of the time though there will come a point when things have gone far enough and it's time for a change or the manager moves on to a better job. All clubs go through this and we are no different what we should be doing as a club is have some clear idea as to the model we want to create, regardless of manager.

As far as Villa and Lambert are concered It's time to part ways regardless of the future because if we continue with him as manager it may not be in the premier league. Nobody expects top 4 or 5 currently but what we do expect is to witness decent football befitting the stadium and fans who pay bloody good money to be entertained to a point.Lambert has had more than enough time to at least improve the quality of football yet here we still are. All this talk about changing the style of play is a myth in my opinion, the formation and players are excactly the same the only difference is we are holding the ball more yet still have no idea what to do with it. He needs to go end of imo and the fans need to force his hand to leave or increase the media pressure.

• Like 3

To be honest who cares? There is no other option, we can't go on like this.

The club is up for sale so we can just hope we can finally be owned by someone who doesn't prove themselves to be truly awful at the job.

At the moment though the priority should be replacing the manager.  

• Like 2

I don't dispute that Lambert has operated under conditions and circumstances that most managers either don't have to or wouldn't have put up with.

Part of me wishes he would have walked and then exposed all the problems and issues at the club.

But he hasn't, which makes me think why if it's as bad under Lerner as everyone claims - why is Lambert still here? Blind faith and loyalty? Stupidity?

As some have said if he gets sacked he will find himself in the football wilderness for a long time, so is he here because he has no choice but to desperately try and turn things round and save his reputation? Or because he may as well get paid as much as he can while he can? Is he delusional?

I like the guy, but I would rate him much higher if he had decided to step aside and accepted that he can't do as a manager what he needs to, whether it be his fault or the fault of Lerner and the club.

I would back him if I had seen one single sign of hope, of consistency, of belief, of vision, of future, anything to hang onto. But all I see is a club circling the drain, our reputation already flushed away, the only record/stat/humiliation left to suffer is relegation.

It's a huge risk bringing a new manager in, and it might not make any difference, it might well be that nobody could turn this club around under Lerner and co. But I don't see any other choice, as many have stated the manager is the only thing we can change to make a difference. We have to at least try and do something!

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 3

He either needs to be backed or sacked and I fear it will be neither.

No he just needs to be sacked.

Yep what's with this backed or sacked nonsense.

He's had 2 and a half years and has built this squad. What's signing a couple of players really going to change? The fans are fed up, nothing he does works or even looks likely to work and the end result is always the same.  His time here has failed and there really is only one option left.

• Like 2

Ha I can understand people being Pissed off and wanting Lambert gone but I think all the hate and protests would be better directed towards Randy Lerner, he really does get away with murder from the majority of fans. So let's say he sacks Lambert and gets in a replacement who is given the same budget and we are struggling still. Does the new manager have to take all the hate and protests then or does Lerner finally get what he deserves from the fans?

I think there are many of us who believe Lambert has assembled a decent squad with the funds he has had. A team that is capable of much more positive football than on display. Therefore for me Randy Lerner isn't to blame for the lack of decent football at VP, Lambert is. Lerner isn't faultless though but currently we have no sway with him staying or going, we do however have a big say over Lambert continuing in his role.
Fair enough I just struggle to see any good way out under Lerner and would be more worried about who he would get to replace Lambert than sticking with Lambert.

That'd be because Lerner has an appalling track record of appointing managers.

Including the current one. So what is it you want him to do, stop trying? Stick with his last bad appointment out of stubbornness? Isn't that even worse?

In my opinion mind you, Houllier was a good appointment and Lambert was the correct choice at the time. So it's not that appalling a record.

• Like 1

Ha I can understand people being Pissed off and wanting Lambert gone but I think all the hate and protests would be better directed towards Randy Lerner, he really does get away with murder from the majority of fans. So let's say he sacks Lambert and gets in a replacement who is given the same budget and we are struggling still. Does the new manager have to take all the hate and protests then or does Lerner finally get what he deserves from the fans?

I think there are many of us who believe Lambert has assembled a decent squad with the funds he has had. A team that is capable of much more positive football than on display. Therefore for me Randy Lerner isn't to blame for the lack of decent football at VP, Lambert is. Lerner isn't faultless though but currently we have no sway with him staying or going, we do however have a big say over Lambert continuing in his role.
Fair enough I just struggle to see any good way out under Lerner and would be more worried about who he would get to replace Lambert than sticking with Lambert.
That'd be because Lerner has an appalling track record of appointing managers.

Including the current one. So what is it you want him to do, stop trying? Stick with his last bad appointment out of stubbornness? Isn't that even worse?

In my opinion mind you, Houllier was a good appointment and Lambert was the correct choice at the time. So it's not that appalling a record.

I'm hoping he starts genuinely looking further a field. Get some people to help him choose the next manager and come up with a plan to take us forward.

• Like 1

I take on board everyone's comment and in a way I agree with all of you. Lambert's position is untenable now. The players aren't playing for him and he has lost the crowd. If a manager is to change our fortunes, it won't be Paul Lambert.

However, I stand by what I said that his situation has been next to impossible GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES he has been in. Two years from now, after Lambert's been axed, he will rue the day he ever came to work for Lerner and in front of our unrealistic fanbase. He had a great thing going at Norwich with their expectations. If he had stayed there and continued in the same vein he may well have attracted the attention of some of the top clubs a year or two later.

I've always felt this about the nature of our fans. I know it is the same at other clubs but I do think our bunch can be particularly unrealistic and moany. Back in 2000 Gregory led us to a top 6 finish and an FA Cup Final, but I remember it was panned as a disappointment because we weren't close enough to the top 3 as it was then. And it has been the same ever since I've been a season ticket holder to be honest. I've always felt that given the backing our managers have received, mindful of rival Premier League clubs as well, our achievements have probably just about matched what we've paid for. It's very fine lines, O'Neill would have been remembered as successful if we had beaten Man Utd that day, and hung on for 4th spot - regardless of how the subsequent year went.

Anyway, back to Lambert.. Is now - mid January - the right time to sack him?? Especially considering Lerner's slow dithering approach to appointing a new man. For timing it couldn't be worse. Get a couple of players in to try and make an impact. If it's an even more dire situation in one month's time then sack him.  

The way I see it is:

1. Lerner is the owner and is 100% responsible for selecting the manager and 100% responsible for funding him. We would all love to see him gone but he isn't going to just walk out and right off his investment so we are stuck with him until a credible buyer comes along. There is no point in chanting "we want Lerner out" because he won't be there and probably doesn't even bother watching the games from yankee doodle land.

2. Lambert is the manager and is 100% responsible for buying players (within his budget), 100% responsible for training, 100% responsible for team selection and 100% responsible for tactics. There is every point in chanting "we want Lambert out" and "you don't know what you're doing" because he is there and he hears it and hopefully this gets back to Lerner via Mr Fox. There is also every point in fans voting with their feet and not turning up to games as this is also likely to get back to Lerner via Mr Fox.

To those of you who say that there is no point in sacking Lambert while Lerner is still there, ask yourselves if getting rid of the person who is 100% responsible for everything that occurs on match day is wrong because I for one believe it is better to fix one part of a defective thing than just let it all fall apart as we are currently.

Guys, this club is sleep walking into a deep abyss inadvertently aided by those that think there is nothing we can do and that Lambert is the best we can get.

Great post, my thoughts exactly.

I take on board everyone's comment and in a way I agree with all of you. Lambert's position is untenable now. The players aren't playing for him and he has lost the crowd. If a manager is to change our fortunes, it won't be Paul Lambert.

However, I stand by what I said that his situation has been next to impossible GIVEN THE CIRCUMSTANCES he has been in. Two years from now, after Lambert's been axed, he will rue the day he ever came to work for Lerner and in front of our unrealistic fanbase. He had a great thing going at Norwich with their expectations. If he had stayed there and continued in the same vein he may well have attracted the attention of some of the top clubs a year or two later.

I've always felt this about the nature of our fans. I know it is the same at other clubs but I do think our bunch can be particularly unrealistic and moany. Back in 2000 Gregory led us to a top 6 finish and an FA Cup Final, but I remember it was panned as a disappointment because we weren't close enough to the top 3 as it was then. And it has been the same ever since I've been a season ticket holder to be honest. I've always felt that given the backing our managers have received, mindful of rival Premier League clubs as well, our achievements have probably just about matched what we've paid for. It's very fine lines, O'Neill would have been remembered as successful if we had beaten Man Utd that day, and hung on for 4th spot - regardless of how the subsequent year went.

Anyway, back to Lambert.. Is now - mid January - the right time to sack him?? Especially considering Lerner's slow dithering approach to appointing a new man. For timing it couldn't be worse. Get a couple of players in to try and make an impact. If it's an even more dire situation in one month's time then sack him.  

In one months time we will have just played Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. I reckon it won't be a case of 'if' it's a more dire situation but a case of it 'is' a more dire situation. The only thing giving it another month will do is make it harder for any new manager (as the transfer window will have closed) and put us 3 more games towards relegation. Why keep giving this bloke another month? Some on here said give him until January and look how that worked out. I assure you no 'miracle' will occur in one months time and we will just be closer to the inevitable.

• Like 2

I think now is definitely the right time to sack him. We have a good chance of getting no points from our next 3-5 games given current form and the opposition. I think we should use the next few weeks to find a new appointment. Once january is out the way if we are around the relegation zone it will be harder to convince someone to come in and sort out the mess, especially without the opportunity to at least bring in 1 or 2 loan signings or assistants.

Thats a litte harsh Chap. Most of us have only threw in the towel since we struggled to get pass Blackpool and have ceased from scoring goals, hardly unrealistic is it. Don't you think he has had enough chances from the fans after nearly 3 seasons of zero progression.

Edited by foreveryoung

Thats a litte harsh Chap. Most of us have only threw in the towel since we struggled to get pass Blackpool and have ceased from scoring goals, hardly unrealistic is it. Don't you think he has had enough chances from the fans after nearly 3 seasons of zero progression.

Quite, I think too many Villa fans have been lenient with Lambert over 2 and a half years. Hardly unrealistic and moany.

• Like 1

There is no point in waiting for the next 3 games to sack him.  If we did it this week, the atmosphere against liverpool would be better and it would give the whole club a lift.  Waiting till it gets worse could leave us in real trouble.

Â