Paul Lambert

limpid

I actually didn't see the game yesterday, but I said beforehand we should be winning but that I'd take a draw with a good performance. Sounds as though we got the latter. 

It was a better performance IMO, but Burnley missed two absolute sitters at the end and once again we finished a game clinging on. I'm not sure how much the players will take from it confidence-wise because of the nature of the way the game ended.

I was at the game yesterday along with an ex season ticket holder of 20 plus years who for family reasons can rarely attend nowadays. He was stunned by the Lambert out chants that started once Okore conceded the penalty.

His response was "how is this helping the team?"

We should've been 3 or 4 goals to the good yesterday but because of a moment of madness by Okore and poor decision making in the final third of the pitch we only picked up a point.

I'm not sure why Lambert gets the flak for that?

Get lost with your logic.

Nobody wants to hear your sensible opinion alright!

• Like 3

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-responds-8199530

“You have to dust yourself down and go for it again.

“We’re sitting joint 13th I think, there’s miles to go in the table.

:)

Hmmm, To be honest i'd rather him acknowledge that we are actually 16th rather than saying we are joint 13th. 

Whichever way you try to spin it, we are not "joint 13th". Sunderland are clear on 13th after their determined resistance to Chelsea yesterday evening, which earned them a point. 

Just shows the peril of spinning - facts tend to pop up and smack you in the face.

Is this really what Lambert is reduced to? Making up nonsense to try and gloss over our real league position? We are sixteenth, with 13 points from 13 games and the fact we have the second worst goal difference in the league means we are at a significant disadvantage to the others on 13 points.

I am really starting to lose patience with this guy. Let's hope for his sake Benteke's return provides the magic wand he and all us fans are hoping for.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

I was at the game yesterday along with an ex season ticket holder of 20 plus years who for family reasons can rarely attend nowadays. He was stunned by the Lambert out chants that started once Okore conceded the penalty.

We should've been 3 or 4 goals to the good yesterday but because of a moment of madness by Okore and poor decision making in the final third of the pitch we only picked up a point.

Nonsense. You really think the booing and anti Lambert chants started just because we conceded a late penalty yesterday? Where on earth have you been for the last few years?

Individual errors the last 4 games have cost us 7 points, we could be 7th

It don't work like that.
We are paying for every error though, we could easily have 7 more points than we do
Agree. We are reasonably close to being a perfectly respectable mid-table side. About one Benteke away from that.
I can't see how we're close. If we're going to be fair talking about mistakes and missed chances you could equally say we're as close to being the worst team in the league.

I hope benteke shoots us up the league as much as you think he will but we were very poor with him last year and weren't great the year before when he was scoring for fun.

And if benteke is our only hope what do we do next year? Because let's face it, an injury is the only reason he's still a villa player.

This. It is far too simplistic to talk about our errors and sitters missed and ignore those of the opposition. It cuts both ways, and we are where we are because that properly reflects our season so far.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keanes-shock-aston-villa-4719930

Culverhouse & Karsa and now Keane... Our players really don't like being told what to do, do they?

Paul Lambert's fearsome assistant manager is believed to have had bust-ups with several key players and matters came to a head after limp loss to QPR

Roy Keane walked out on Aston Villa to the sound of cheering from Paul Lambert’s dressing-room, writes Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

Villa’s players broke into applause when the Irishman’s exit was confirmed on Friday morning.

But that goodwill among Lambert’s players was not shared by the 4,100 travelling fans at Turf Moor, who called for their manager’s head during and after the 1-1 draw against struggling Burnley on Saturday.

The Scot was jeered by his own supporters after Danny Ings’ late penalty cancelled out Joe Cole’s first-half opener.

But 24 hours earlier it was a different story when Keane announced his departure, citing a need to spend more time with his family.

The 43-year-old former Sunderland and Ipswich manager said that doubling up his commitments with Villa and Ireland was proving too much for him.

And although he walked and was not sacked by Villa boss Lambert, the club’s first-team squad were still happy to see the back of him.

Matters came to a head after Villa’s toothless defeat to QPR at Loftus Road last month. Manchester United legend Keane rounded on several Villa players, calling them out after a pitiful display during the loss.

Insiders have confirmed to Sunday People Sport that Keane suffered “a real head loss” following their no-show in west London.

But it was Lambert whose head was being demanded by the supporters as large sections of the fans made their feelings known in Lancashire.

The Villans' boss did not duck the issue, and said: “I heard it. These guys pay their money and I have absolutely no problem with it. This football club is massive and the expectancy level is huge.”
  • Like 1

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/roy-keanes-shock-aston-villa-4719930

Culverhouse & Karsa and now Keane... Our players really don't like being told what to do, do they?

I thought the official line on C & K was that they were bullying the players, not "telling them what to do". Sounds like maybe Keane was slotting into the same groove.

Nobody likes being bullied and ranted at, I guess.

Where is Lambert when this stuff with the asst manager goes on?

Edited by briny_ear

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-paul-lambert-responds-8199530

“You have to dust yourself down and go for it again.

“We’re sitting joint 13th I think, there’s miles to go in the table.

:)

Hmmm, To be honest i'd rather him acknowledge that we are actually 16th rather than saying we are joint 13th. 

Absolutely. No such thing as joint 13th. You have to acknowledge goal difference. You can be relegated with goal difference. If goal difference takes us down sitting in 18th, it would be scant comfort to be told we were actually joint 15th! He is clutching at straws.

• Like 1

Lambert gets the flak because he is unable to fire the team up to maintain the level of performance that got us the lead.

We always sit back to protect a one goal lead.

He replaced Weimann with Richardson - that was a clear message - protect the lead.

He cannot wash his hands of responsibility for everything that happens on the pitch.

• Like 1

I'm finding the idea that people think all is well as 'we will win when we have Benteke back' laughable...yeah, because after 3 seasons it's a good thing that Lambert has built a squad that cannot win without 1 player.

I agree that he can't win with his tactics, people moaned when he went attacking (Bent on) against Southampton and then moaned when he went defensive against Burnley. The players must shoulder a portion of the blame, but bloody hell, what has to happen for him to get the sack?! If we lose the next few and he goes, great, but we've just missed out on 9 (more) points.

I say a win at Palace or even a convincing performance with a (preferably high) score draw or he's out. It won't happen though, we'll sack him on January 31st because we seem to be a backwards club these days.

Lambert out.

• Like 1

I thought the official line on C & K was that they were bullying the players, not "telling them what to do". Sounds like maybe Keane was slotting into the same groove.

Nobody likes being bullied and ranted at, I guess.

Where is Lambert when this stuff with the asst manager goes on?

I would like to know the real story on both. C and K were fired for bullying the staff at BMH I thought. It interesting neither went for unfair dismissal unless there was a settlement agreement on the quiet.

Despite what Trent says, and I respect his ITK, I just don't buy this more time with his family story. Ireland don't have a game for months and he walks out? The official story is he offered to stay until a replacement was found but as we do not have one why not take him up on the offer? If he was so important to the team keep him as long as possible. It suggest to me they wanted him out of the door quickly.

A bit off topic I know but it does make you wonder where Lambert is with all of this. He has lost his assistant(s) twice in a year. If its true that certain players were getting arsy with Keane was Lambert slapping them down and getting them back into line? If not its suggestive of weak management or not really knowing what is going on.

In any event none of that would really matter if we delivered on the pitch but near enough 2.5 seasons in and we are no better and if anything worse than when he started. The fact that anyone tries to defend his record is the bit I find so odd. Every other team in the Premier League would have sacked him long ago. The simple fact is he is never going to be a good manager for us or do some have this blind hope that he will suddenly morph into Jose Mourinho?

• Like 1

Reading the past few pages, not sure why people are telling Woodytom to calm down. Seems pretty calm to me, just a fan who's concerned with the quite frankly absolutely awful run of form we're win. I also share those concerns. It's really not looking good for us at the minute.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Nonsense. You really think the booing and anti Lambert chants started just because we conceded a late penalty yesterday? Where on earth have you been for the last few years?

At 90% of the games.

Â