Paul Lambert

limpid

I watched the Roma v Bayern game live and the way Bayern play is light years ahead of Lamberts Villa.Five goals in just over 30 minutes(away from home i might add) and there could and should have been more.Was a joy to watch,which i can't remember saying about Villa under Lambert

I watched the Roma v Bayern game live and the way Bayern play is light years ahead of Lamberts Villa.Five goals in just over 30 minutes(away from home i might add) and there could and should have been more.Was a joy to watch,which i can't remember saying about Villa under Lambert

Of course they are. They are one of the best teams in the world spending more on one player at a time than we have probably spent in a few seasons.

Here's a fun fact for ya

Even if all our shots on target in the last 4 games had gone in we had still lost those games.

Arsenal 0-3, 2 shots on target

Chelsea 0-3, 1 shot on target

Man C 0-2, 1 shot on target

Everton 0-3, 2 shots on target

• Like 2

At least people have stopped going on about the fact that Lambert did his coaching badges in Germany. He's got about as much in common with a decent German coach as Barry Fry.

Very true unfortunately. I like Lambert and have supported him throughout his time as Villa manager but this season is when I need to see major improvement to keep backing him. I'm sick of watching us bend over and let other teams dominate us. At the very least I want to see us having a proper go at teams and playing some entertaining football.

Tbf I think our start has been ok points wise but the football has been tripe, a couple of games can be excused due to illness and the quality of opposition but we need to be set up to have more of the ball and in turn more chances to win matches.

His 3rd season here and there is still no structure to our play.

No (intelligent) movement, no idea how to distribute the ball except hoof to tall guy, very little overlapping runs or pressing and no exploiting the opponents weaknesses.

Just sitting back and counter.

Fair enough if he thinks we don't have the players to pull any of these things of, but then you don't go offering players like Gabby or Weimann new contracts.

• Like 1

Not sure why we're comparing Lambert's Villa to the best team in Europe, but okay.

I think we beat them once.

Unless we had. 62% possession and 17 shots on target I'm not interested. ;)

"It came off his shin, so it doesn't count"

Here's a fun fact for ya

Even if all our shots on target in the last 4 games had gone in we had still lost those games.

Arsenal 0-3, 2 shots on target

Chelsea 0-3, 1 shot on target

Man C 0-2, 1 shot on target

Everton 0-3, 2 shots on target

That sort of comment is neither here nor there. Goals change games.

His 3rd season here and there is still no structure to our play.

No (intelligent) movement, no idea how to distribute the ball except hoof to tall guy, very little overlapping runs or pressing and no exploiting the opponents weaknesses.

Just sitting back and counter.

Fair enough if he thinks we don't have the players to pull any of these things of, but then you don't go offering players like Gabby or Weimann new contracts.

We weren't guilty of "hoofing it" against Everton. We played the ball very nicely up to their box, particularly in a good 20 minute spell in the first half. The problem was the delivery into the front men wasn't great, but Benteke, Gabby and N'Zogbia equally hampered the midfield with how static they were.

If we're going to have more cutting edge then we need to increase the movement of the front three and mix up the variety of that midfield. It doesn't help that Delph is out, but the likes of Grealish have that guile that we need. He might not do it every game, but he does have "something".

Although it's probably less than ideal to be averaging 37% possession every game, I'm not overly concerned about it as possession doesn't score goals, However shots on target do.

Having possession also helps to stop the opposition having chances.

Has anyone mentioned the stat, possession fans, that Sunderland had more possession than Southampton at the weekend?

I don't imagine they have, for the main reason that it isn't true.  53-47 in Southampton's favour.

Nice story though.

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned the stat, possession fans, that Sunderland had more possession than Southampton at the weekend?

I don't imagine they have, for the main reason that it isn't true.  53-47 in Southampton's favour.

Nice story though.

That's annoying. I was going by Football Weekly quoting it.

Retracted! (although Whoscored's match centre backs it up, whereas their overall stats report doesn't. So God knows how they work that one out.)

Not sure there was any need for the condescending last sentence. :thumb:

Â